• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I introduce my cockatiel to toys?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Hello! I've recently gotten a pet cockatiel named Mika on Saturday (2/3/4), so I've had her for about 5 days. My mom says I should put toys in her cage while I'm at school so she's not so bored, though I'm not for sure on how to introduce her to them. I have a few different ones to show her, but every time she's seen them she's ran away.
Any help or tips?

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
well, birds are scared of many new things, others not so much, but when you get to school put the toys out tide of the cage pretty far to start, then when you come home peak in dont let her see you just peak in to were ever she is and if noticing any shivering or fright go into the room and start to make her calm down and play with the toy your self to show her its not gunna eat her. if she is staring at it not agrsivly, if agrsivly walk in the room and try a nother toy the next day. if she is content and looking at it happily, every day bring the toy a little closer. until finaly its up agenenst the cage. than over the week end try to let her out of the cage and let her explore the new item and do that with al!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@Birdy bunch is right, put the toy as close to her cage as you can without her getting upset. Slowly move it closer and closer over time, until you can hang it outside her cage without her becoming scared. Eventually you can put it inside. Since she’s so new, everything might scare her at first, until she’s more comfortable. You can try covering part of her cage so she feels more secure, and play the radio for her when you are gone, so it’s not so quiet. Congratulations on your new tiel!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats on getting your tiel! I find my tiels like simple toys - a few toy parts on a skewer - something they can shred. Balsa, mahogany slices, palm strips, fingertraps.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everyone has good advice. I also give my tiels simple things to chew. They don’t care for anything they can’t chew or preen.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Congrats on your tiel. It would be good to have toys in the cage to keep her busy and stimulated. Bells and anything chewable work wonders. Tiels love bells. Just start by slowly introducing it and eventually she'll be ringing her bells to train you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Mike. In addition to slowly moving the toys closer to Mike's cage you can also play with them yourself. Sometimes when birds see that they become more interested in the toys.
Mike is in a new environment with new people/objects and might be a bit stressed and scared right now. Be patient with her. How old is she?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Congrats on getting Mike. In addition to slowly moving the toys closer to Mike's cage you can also play with them yourself. Sometimes when birds see that they become more interested in the toys.
Mike is in a new environment with new people/objects and might be a bit stressed and scared right now. Be patient with her. How old is she?
Ah yes Mika is probably stressed! I've tried the playing thing, but she still seems pretty scared imo so I'm not for sure.. she's also almost four months from what I was told when I got her!