• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much should I feed my bird?

Ashley123

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashley
when I say how much I mean like how many cups. I have a green cheek conure, about 6 months old. The pet shop I got him from was feeding him half seed and half pallets, and I'm doing that, I just don't know how much I'm meant to be giving him every 24 hours. I give him 3/5 of a cup in the morning when I wake up and leave it in all day then give him 2/5 of a cup before he goes to bed so he has a nice comfy sleep. At the moment (I've only had him for a day or two) I'm feeding him about a cup of food all together with some extra apple (I will give him more variety of food when I go to the store next), about 2/5 of it is seed and the rest is pallets. So my question is how much food (in cups, or quarter cups) should I give him every 24 hours? Also I'm not exactly sure if he is a he or she I just call him a he, if the different genders need a different amount of food.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best way to determine how much to feed is to first measure the food you give him, lets say you put in one half cup. Then at the end of the day or whenever you take the food dish out of cage again measure how much is left. Some will be the hulls of seeds. That way you have a rough idea of what your bird is consuming.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds have their seed/pellets available all day, but I try to give them just slightly more than they will eat in a day. For a tiel it works out to be about 1 1/2 T. of seeds/pellets. In addition to this I feed fresh foods and treats. Congratulations on your new bird!