• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my birds to adjust to a cage?

Lev

Moving in
So I've had my two cockatiels, both male, for over a year now. Jo is around 16 months and Niel has just turned a year old. Thing is, family agreed to let them roam freely around the house at first (and a big cage was way too expensive for me to afford then) so aside from bedtime, they've been spending their entire time outside.
Recently my mom asked me to cage the birds, and I got them a big cage yesterday (it's quite huge, 1 m tall).
I decided to have them get adjusted to being inside the cage bit by bit, planning to let them out a couple times a day only.
They spent last night in there and by morning I had them stay inside for a full hour and have their breakfast. After an hour I let them out.
Around afternoon I put them inside for another hour. They don't really show signs of discomfort when nobody's around, but at the sight of someone they struggle to get attention and be let out.
What's the best way to have them adjusted? Am I on the right track by doing it bit by bit?
The cage is in my bedroom, and I can hide myself in my mini-office when working.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
So I've had my two cockatiels, both male, for over a year now. Jo is around 16 months and Niel has just turned a year old. Thing is, family agreed to let them roam freely around the house at first (and a big cage was way too expensive for me to afford then) so aside from bedtime, they've been spending their entire time outside.
Recently my mom asked me to cage the birds, and I got them a big cage yesterday (it's quite huge, 1 m tall).
I decided to have them get adjusted to being inside the cage bit by bit, planning to let them out a couple times a day only.
They spent last night in there and by morning I had them stay inside for a full hour and have their breakfast. After an hour I let them out.
Around afternoon I put them inside for another hour. They don't really show signs of discomfort when nobody's around, but at the sight of someone they struggle to get attention and be let out.
What's the best way to have them adjusted? Am I on the right track by doing it bit by bit?
The cage is in my bedroom, and I can hide myself in my mini-office when working.
I think what you’re doing is perfect. Youre very patient with your birds which is excellent, as I’ve found that birds can sense stress from their surroundings and have it impact them. In my opinion having the birds eat in a new cage is a very good way of getting them used to the cage. I would put millet in my birds new cage and they would gladly walk in.

In addition, keeping the cage setup simple will greatly lessen the stress on your birds as they move. While an appropriate medley of cage accessories (perches, toys) is beneficial for a birds well-being, it is also important that the positioning of these accessories do not overwhelm the bird. The bird should be able to observe things in the cage before they go to check it out. Meaning that the cage shouldn’t be cramped with accessories And have much space for walking and climbing. keeping the cage setup simple for now will be good. And later as your birds get more comfortable, you can add more accessories.

Since your parrots are tamed it makes sense that they would get excited by seeing somebody. Them going to cage doors doesnt immediately mean they the cage and feel upset, it could just mean that they would like to step out for a minute and be in human company.

good luck, I would love a picture of your birds!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It sounds like you're on the right path! Maybe offer a treat every time you put them up so they associate cage time with goodies? This is what I wish I'd done with Tteok early on - I didn't, and now is he knows it's cage time he takes off and I have to play "come get me". I'm trying the treat thing now, but man do I wish I'd started it early on.

Lev

Moving in
I think what you’re doing is perfect. Youre very patient with your birds which is excellent, as I’ve found that birds can sense stress from their surroundings and have it impact them. In my opinion having the birds eat in a new cage is a very good way of getting them used to the cage. I would put millet in my birds new cage and they would gladly walk in.

In addition, keeping the cage setup simple will greatly lessen the stress on your birds as they move. While an appropriate medley of cage accessories (perches, toys) is beneficial for a birds well-being, it is also important that the positioning of these accessories do not overwhelm the bird. The bird should be able to observe things in the cage before they go to check it out. Meaning that the cage shouldn’t be cramped with accessories And have much space for walking and climbing. keeping the cage setup simple for now will be good. And later as your birds get more comfortable, you can add more accessories.

Since your parrots are tamed it makes sense that they would get excited by seeing somebody. Them going to cage doors doesnt immediately mean they the cage and feel upset, it could just mean that they would like to step out for a minute and be in human company.

good luck, I would love a picture of your birds!
Thanks a lot! I'm actually relieved. They have every meal inside the cage, which I think helps them get used to the space. I also put them inside 30 minutes before bedtime.
I'm planning to get them toys and little sticks soon once they're adjusted.
Also here are pics of my boys (having their evening snack :D)

Attachments

Reactions: Biz

Lev

Moving in
It sounds like you're on the right path! Maybe offer a treat every time you put them up so they associate cage time with goodies? This is what I wish I'd done with Tteok early on - I didn't, and now is he knows it's cage time he takes off and I have to play "come get me". I'm trying the treat thing now, but man do I wish I'd started it early on.
It gives me good hopes to hear so. I've put their favorite seeds inside, so they have something to get excited for. Will add some toys later.
I can imagine... How old is your Tteok?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It gives me good hopes to hear so. I've put their favorite seeds inside, so they have something to get excited for. Will add some toys later.
I can imagine... How old is your Tteok?
He's nearly a year old :)

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Thanks a lot! I'm actually relieved. They have every meal inside the cage, which I think helps them get used to the space. I also put them inside 30 minutes before bedtime.
I'm planning to get them toys and little sticks soon once they're adjusted.
Also here are pics of my boys (having their evening snack :D)
they r adorable!!

Reactions: Lev