• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi there! Introduction and Pre-Parrot Panics

Tia Cecilia

Moving in
So, I'm Tia, I'm a minor and I live in Australia. These past few months, I've been researching and planning (and convincing the parents) to have a companion bird. Just recently I came across two Kakarikis which were accidentally bred by a breeder who lives just a minute away from my place. After meeting them, I immediately fell in love with the beautiful red-fronted green one. With one last push, I finally got my parents over the line (thanks to a closing down sale at a pet store which encouraged my Mum to buy the seed!).

And so, Kida the Kakariki is coming home to my place in one day (after a week of waiting for the weekend). She was hatched late May (21st or 24th, can't remember) and has been kept in a cage with her yellow sister apart from her parents in the aviary. She is a little tame, understands that hands provide food, etc. and seemed very calm in my presence when I went to visit her and talk to her.

Everything at my place is all organised; The rooms she's gonna be in are bird-proofed, the cage is set up with a few perches and toys (but not too many as to overwhelm her), the food and water will be set out on Saturday morning, the eucy mulch for the bottom of the cage we'll be getting tomorrow.

However, I'm extremely anxious. Suddenly, I feel really unprepared and panicky. I want her to end up being fully tame, but I'm worried that I won't be able to do it because she hasn't been handled since birth (even though she's still really young) or because I'll screw up along the way. I'm nervous that the diet I provide won't be good enough (my Mum refuses to buy pellets, but I'm planning to feed Kida seeds AND various fresh fruit and vegetables, plus some eggs and other cooked foods). Although I've been reading up on taming for months and know how to prevent many, if not all, preventable behavioral issues, I'm still anxious about getting something wrong. I'm also really worried that she won't bond with me because we're both female, I heard from my Mum that birds only bond to opposite sex handlers. While I haven't found anything on the internet to support this in any way, I'm still worried that all of my time and effort will be wasted and I will be stuck with a bird who does not like me for 15-20 years!! Aaaaaah!

I doubt any of my worries are due to lack of preparation, just a little nerves. Getting a parrot is a massive commitment, as I'm sure all of you understand. Even if you can't help me with any of my stresses, any kind words for comfort are welcome anyway. I look forward to getting to know you all!!! <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How exciting for you. Very few people and breeders of this species in the US. You sound prepared physically but not mentally. We do get nervous over the unknown. Have you spent any time with the breeder? Being exposed to the birds can be something to help calm your nervousness. Also doing research on the species as a companion bird may help. This article suggest to cut flight feathers because these birds do not like to fly so make sure your floors are safe with electrical cords out of reach. Do you have any other pets?

Winged Wisdom Magazine Ezine. Kakarikis - New Zealand's Little Jewels. Pet Parrots

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome and congratulations. It is normal to be nervous. You are bringing home a little baby and don't want to make any mistakes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! And no, I don't think it's true that birds only bond to the opposite sex. Birds tend to pick their people and they like who they like. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on getting your new friend! Just take it slow, and never force her to do anything, but try to make it her choice. I also don't think birds only bond with the opposite sex. Can't wait for pictures!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and congratulations!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Everything at my place is all organised; The rooms she's gonna be in are bird-proofed, the cage is set up with a few perches and toys (but not too many as to overwhelm her), the food and water will be set out on Saturday morning, the eucy mulch for the bottom of the cage we'll be getting tomorrow.
What is this mulch, corn cob mulch and other types of mulch are not recommended, because they harbor mold, from wet droppings and food. This could potentially infect your bird with aspergillosis. Better to line with news paper.

Aspergillosis Can Be Lethal

Tia Cecilia

Moving in
What is this mulch, corn cob mulch and other types of mulch are not recommended, because they harbor mold, from wet droppings and food. This could potentially infect your bird with aspergillosis. Better to line with news paper.

Aspergillosis Can Be Lethal
Eucalyptus mulch is extremely clean and great for birds who like to forage, like Kida. I'll be replacing it every few days and cleaning the bottom of the cage to avoid any problems.

Tia Cecilia

Moving in
How exciting for you. Very few people and breeders of this species in the US. You sound prepared physically but not mentally. We do get nervous over the unknown. Have you spent any time with the breeder? Being exposed to the birds can be something to help calm your nervousness. Also doing research on the species as a companion bird may help. This article suggest to cut flight feathers because these birds do not like to fly so make sure your floors are safe with electrical cords out of reach. Do you have any other pets?

Winged Wisdom Magazine Ezine. Kakarikis - New Zealand's Little Jewels. Pet Parrots
Thank you for responding! I find it really comforting that so many people are chipping in to help me out. Unfortunately, I've only visited her once and spent about an hour with her. I've been researching kaks since I saw the ad for Kida, and there isn't much on them as companion pets. Thank you for that site though! Unfortunately, my Mum is severely against clipping wings, and there is no possibility of convincing her to clip Kida's wings. So I will be allowing her as much free flight and exercise time as I possibly can when I'm home (in the mornings, afternoons and evenings), this time will total up to about 7 hours on weekdays. And then, of course, she'll be out pretty much all day on weekends. I do have another pet, she's a golden spoodle whom I love endlessly. She is very skittish and will probably be more afraid of Kida than Kida will be of her.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sure being patient and consistent win the birdy over. I've not seen an opposite sex preference as a rule at all. Each individual bird may have experiences that predispose them to liking/disliking people who meet certain criteria, however.

Please make sure to keep dog and bird separate for the bird's safety. :) (It doesn't matter if the dog seems frightened of the bird. They can and will suddenly attack the bird.)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your Kakariki. Please be careful with having your dog around the bird. You can't predict what might happen and best not to take a chance.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would never advise to clip flight feathers but in this case since the bird does not fly, even in the wild, it could be a comfort measure. Since you have a dog about your home it may not be a good idea to get a bird species that does not like to fly and may be on the floor often. Is there another species of bird you are considering?

MsRobs

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hi! Kak owner here :) We have a pair, Monday and Tuesday. It's my first time as a bird owner and my bf had several budgies and tiels back home. Ours were hatched and bought in Germany, and btw, my bf is an Aussie like yourself ;-) You're lucky that Kida is kinda tame with hands; our Kaks were mishandled at the pet shop and are scared of us and TERRIFIED of our hands.

BTW, I'm sad to read that birds pick their people. Even though I feed them and clean their cage most often, I have the feeling that the birds like my boyfriend better. They are chirpier, more cheerful in his presence, and he can get close to the cage and they don't panic. I start getting close and Tuesday (the one we assume is a boy) starts trembling. I coo at them, whistle back when they call, sing to them softly, play them soothing music, don't make sudden movements and they are much more tense with me.

Good luck with Kida, it sounds like you're happy to have her and will be a good owner <3