• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help with cockatiel gender

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
IMG_20200413_180703.jpg , i have this beautiful bird for some time now. He is sky as he or she have beautiful blend of colors and behind him there is smoky with greay and white color.
Sky is whistling alot and sitting inside box as soon as i installed box for them. I dont dont know their genders. Could some one help me

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

adamd123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Adam
The male cockatiels seem to be a lot noiser. The females are the quiet ones. I think...

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
The male cockatiels seem to be a lot noiser. The females are the quiet ones. I think...
That is what i think. But when i bought sky they told me its female because of tail feathers lines and standing stance

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't tell visually as that's not my thing, but @Monica and maybe @Ripshod is can sually help with such things.

But are there any other behavioral things? These are things mine do:

Male: Sings, does "heart wings", bangs beak

Female: hangs upside down like a bat, sometimes raises tail feathers in the air and chirp softly (an invitation to mate).

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
You can't really sex pied birds visually. My male looks a lot like yours (he's just welcomed his first chicks) your bird might be male but it's hard to say for sure. His mutation is Pied. For pied Cockatiels, DNA sexing is the most reliable route to go in. The DNA kit for my boy was $15 .. pretty great price! Beautiful tiel and Best of luck♥

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How old is your bird?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you are interested in breeding cockatiels, I would recommend making sure that they are on a healthy, varied diet that includes fresh foods and they are either in a large cage or the hen in some way has a chance to exercise. It would also be preferable if they were of a good age to breed.

As asked, it would also help to know age of Sky.

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
You can't really sex pied birds visually. My male looks a lot like yours (he's just welcomed his first chicks) your bird might be male but it's hard to say for sure. His mutation is Pied. For pied Cockatiels, DNA sexing is the most reliable route to go in. The DNA kit for my boy was $15 .. pretty great price! Beautiful tiel and Best of luck♥
That dns sexing kit. Its not available here in KSA. Can you share me any link for online purchase that would be helpful.

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
I can't tell visually as that's not my thing, but @Monica and maybe @Ripshod is can sually help with such things.

But are there any other behavioral things? These are things mine do:

Male: Sings, does "heart wings", bangs beak

Female: hangs upside down like a bat, sometimes raises tail feathers in the air and chirp softly (an invitation to mate).
Sky i very energetic. Eating cuttle fish bone, mineral block alot. Sky is making lots of noises like males do. Sitting in nest all the time. And have wide gap in pelvic bone as per pet shop

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Based on the information, I would say that Sky is most likely female.

Do you have videos of her vocalizations?

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
Based on the information, I would say that Sky is most likely female.

Do you have videos of her vocalizations?
Yes i do. But how can i attach video file here i dont have any idea. Its saying file size is big

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Females: lighter coloring, belly feathers go in, striped tail feathers, they can whistle and make chirping noises, Hiss more

Males: They sing, darker coloring, belly feathers go down,

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes i do. But how can i attach video file here i dont have any idea. Its saying file size is big

Here you go! :)

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
Here you go! :)

Najam89

Moving in
Real Name
Najam
sky is the one making sounds and she is sitting in her box.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Wow!

Sky is either one talented hen (which is possible!), or a male that, due to the pied gene, still has his "baby feathers", which is not unheard of with pieds.