• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is he male or female?

• Total voters

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Help!!!

I got my cockatiel (Wally) about 7 months ago, (clipped by breeder,) he is now 9 months old and just started his first molt. He looks very much like a female (pictures below) but the breeder told me he was male. I just found out today that he might be a female because I never really checked what sex he is. He seems to have the same barrings as a normal grey hen, and a less brighter face like the hen. But on the third photo you can see a little yellow pin feather coming out his crest. Does this mean he is male but hasn't grown all his feathers? I've also read that males can have the same barrings as females but loose them after their first molt. There aren't any vets near me and its freezing cold outside so I guess I have to find out at home. He does "flex" and spread his wings when we say "pretty bird". He also tries to day it back to us, he usually flaps his wings when on top of the cage. He does scream a lot, though.

PLEASE REPLY ASAP

THANKS IN ADVANCE IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0500.JPG

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Males will lose the barring of the tail feathers when they molt. Male gray tiels will also develop a bright yellow face mask. At about 7 months old my male had much more yellow in his face. How vocal is he/she? My males were whistling and stringing a variety of sounds together at about 3 months.

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Males will lose the barring of the tail feathers when they molt. Male gray tiels will also develop a bright yellow face mask. At about 7 months old my male had much more yellow in his face. How vocal is he/she? My males were whistling and stringing a variety of sounds together at about 3 months.
She usually tries to repeat the word "pretty bird", she also chirps often.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If he just started his first big molt, you will have to see how he looks when it’s finished. The male tiel I used to have looked like a male at 6-9 mo. The vocalizing makes him seem like a boy, but it’s hard to say. Does he do heart wings?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe he will look more like a boy after he finishes molting them.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Just from the behaviours you're describing I would say that you are likely looking at a male. Can you get a photo of the underside of his wings? The wing spots are a good indicator in most cases

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
One more thing, how long does a first molt usually take? I looked all over the internet and no results.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I had a female cockatiel that could wolf whistle - at least I think it was wolf whistling... also sounded like pretty bird. Males don't lay eggs, plus she had female markings which weren't 100% reliable based no her mutation, but based on everything I saw/heard, knew she was female before she laid an egg.

Your tiel sounds like probably male, but looks female still. Could easily be a late bloomer. Do you know why breeder said male? Maybe all normal colored chicks were males where-as any that weren't normal colored were females. (i.e. father was cinnamon, pearl or lutino - so all female offspring were same color as father).

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
What really would happen is that the first few months we got him, we would say his name every single day. So now he says it. (kinda like: waaleeeeeeeeeee) And when we say "pretty bird" he gets all excited starts trying to mimic it and make heart wings.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've already voted. Your tiel is identical to my girl Tau, other rhan your's has much brighter orange cheek patches. That tells me yours is male.
However,mine has started calling and chirping like a male. Young tiels are so confuddling.
:hmmm: