• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello - Why is my lovebird plucking its feathers? :(

saltybirb

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!
I'm new here. Anyway, I'll go straight to the main topic. I got my lovebird about 6 years ago with no knowledge about lovebirds. (Actually even now I'm not very knowledgeable about birbs. I just know I want to keep a happy and healthy birb.) My lovebird is orange and green. When I first got him at a local pet store (not tamed, and I don't know its age/gender etc.). The shop owner told me "its simple to keep a bird. Feed it food and water daily, shower it and clean its cage weekly." --> so I followed the instructions. I also researched about birds and tried to feed him fruits and vegetables. But he is really picky. He doesn't eat any of it except a bit of apple. He has no past history of medical condition and has been a very happy birb.

In June-July 2020, I noticed Pudding is losing some feathers around his neck area (I could see his down feathers) but I thought nothing of it, I thought it was moulting season. And nothing happened. In fact his feathers grew back to normal. But recently, I noticed he is losing even more feathers and there are blatant signs of him pulling his own feathers. I am planning to bring this little fella to the vet soon. I just wanted to get more opinions as to how I should keep Pudding a happy and healthy birb.

Here is a photo of his bald butt.
tempImageyZFjjc.jpg

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would take him to the vet first. Rule out medical causes, then go from there. If you haven't seen him physically pulling out feathers, you may also want to have him checked for PFBD.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I´m sorry to hear of your lovebirds plucking. A vet visit is in order. They will need to run tests to start the process of figuring out what is going on.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry your bird is plucking. Yes, a vet check is always the place to start. And then if no medical issues, then you can look into other reasons- not enough mental stimulation, boredom, stress, etc.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here are some of the medical issues that can cause plucking.

Some common physical causes of plucking;
skin infections (bacterial or fungal)
Feather root infections (bacterial or fugal)
arthritis
Heart disease
Atherosclerosis
tumor
liver disease
lung issues (chronic infection or aspergillosis)
strained/damaged muscles, tendons and joints.

There are many purely physical reasons that a bird plucks as well as emotional reasons.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome I agree a vet visit ASAP is needed

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Another one common to Lovebirds is polyfolliculitis. But I agree with the above -- there are many reasons a bird can begin plucking. It'll take time to narrow down exactly what that is. First step is to make an appointment with your vet, and keep records of how often you notice plucking, any additional behaviors, etc.