• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthy seeds?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
I’m planning to help my parrot make a healthy food change.
My parrots current diet usually consists of sunflower seeds, fruits and vegetables (they’re literally the only foods she enjoys).

I always give my parrot a mixture of many different seeds in her food bowl, however, she literally only picks out and eats the sunflower seeds. I’ve even tried to give her a mixture of only those small seeds with no sunflower seeds and she didn’t eat any of it.

I want to limit the amount of sunflower seeds she has because I’ve heard they are high in fat and oil, but what other healthy, low-fat/oil seeds can I give her if she’s a bit of a picky eater?

What do you guys give your birdies to eat?

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
I’m planning to help my parrot make a healthy food change.
My parrots current diet usually consists of sunflower seeds, fruits and vegetables (they’re literally the only foods she enjoys).

I always give my parrot a mixture of many different seeds in her food bowl, however, she literally only picks out and eats the sunflower seeds. I’ve even tried to give her a mixture of only those small seeds with no sunflower seeds and she didn’t eat any of it.

I want to limit the amount of sunflower seeds she has because I’ve heard they are high in fat and oil, but what other healthy, low-fat/oil seeds can I give her if she’s a bit of a picky eater?

What do you guys give your birdies to eat?
How about a healthy seed alternative? I make one, especially for getting the seed-addicted birds on to a healthier way of eating :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you ever tried sprouting seeds? It's healthier and usually birds like them.

I also think diet depends on the species of bird to a certain extent. I fed my cockatiel more seeds than I do my cockatoo. My tiel got about 50% seeds, %15 pellet/nutriberries and the rest vegetables and grains. My cockatoo eat about 70% pellets, 20% seeds and nuts and the rest vegetables. I'd like for him to eat more fresh food but he's pretty picky We're making progress though.

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
@Unapproved Vendor's Dailies

Thanks for the reply!

What type of seeds exactly? :angelic:
My Original blend called Gourmet Grains has the following 100% Human Grade (no animal feeds) All Organic "seed" ingredients: White Millet, Buckwheat Groats, Red Quinoa, White Quinoa, Whole Oat Groats, Hard Red Wheat, Soft White Wheat, Cracked Barley, Cracked Rye, Cornmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Ground Buckwheat, Wheat Grass, and Flax Seeds.

You can feel free to check it out here if you like Gourmet Grains I also also it in 2 flavors, called Savory Savannah and Tropical Oasis, and you can find them Here :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Like sunnysmom, I'd suggest sprouting them. I put sprouted sunflower seeds (in the small seive) on top of other sprouted seeds to get them to taste them. 100% interest in sprouted sunflower seeds here.

And a bowl with sprouted seeds, fruit and veggies:

Unapproved Vendor's Dailies sound wonderful!

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
@Unapproved Vendor's Dailies i there an easy way to sprout a small amount of grains without using jar or sprouter?
If you are only sprouting a small amount you can use a small dish or plate, or a small sandwich size Tupperware would be best. Line it with paper towel and soak the paper towel. Drain it most the way, then sprinkle your seeds on. Mist them with a spray bottle a few times a day. If its just a small amount of grasses, this should work.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
@Unapproved Vendor's Dailies i there an easy way to sprout a small amount of grains without using jar or sprouter?

Yes of course there is.
I know a few people who only have one bird, and manage to sprout for their loved one.
A glass jar and small strainer can be used.

Nobody needs to buy any sprouter.
Look at my thread Sprouting Complicated or Easy.

If you cannot find help there. PM me and I will see if I can help.

I am sprouting around 4kg every 4/5 days. Using glass jars for soaking and stainless bowels and strainers to germinate in.
Winter here now, so half go in fridge and other half left out to use first.