• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Head banging and regurgitation (then eating it?)... normal??

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Hello! Curious if this is normal behavior or if I should seek a vet over this... (check linked video

my cockatiel (male, 3yr old) for the past two or three days has been, what I can assume is, regurgitating. I don’t own any other birds.

Ever since he was a baby, he’s absolutely LOVED to bang his beak on everything and anything. Now, he normally does it with no problem. He’ll dance, he’ll sing, and he’ll (very aggressively lol) bang his head on stuff. Today and yesterday (and maybe one or two other times before this MAX), I caught him regurgitating undigested seeds.

He wasn’t shaking his head side to side like vomiting, but he was making himself regurgitate from his normal beak banging. It’s been a lot longer than the other times he did it- the other times was just one quick thing and he went back to normal. Now he keeps doing it. I don’t think he was bothered by it, as he keeps doing it over and over again. He didn’t regurgitate the seeds onto anything either, just into his own mouth, where he would (re-eat?) it and do it again and again. It didn’t seem like an act of affection towards anything specifically, but I’ve only seen him do it while he’s on top of my TV.

He’s been acting like himself otherwise to my knowledge, maybe a little fluffier than usual but he’s been preening and eating as vigorously as ever.

I’m just a little concerned if this is normal behavior or what I should do about it? Thanks for any input!

video of him doing it:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert eats his regurgitated food.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
It could be hormonal. Our Meyers bobs her head and then regurgitates to me.