• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grumpy

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Ok, I am about to ask a very dumb question so prepare yourselves...

I assume most if not ALL parrots get very grumpy late at night and potentially aggressive (well, lets just continue to call it grumpy) as a result. I'm probably going to get a lot of negative comments for this, but it was unavoidable. A few nights while Lada has been visiting, I needed to sneak into the kitchen near her cage. The first night I needed to sneak in, it was semi dark (Light on around corner). She was awake when I entered the room. I quietly walked over to her cage to do what needed to be done. While I was briefly standing next to her I spoke really softly to her to see if she would react. She seemed very much so awake and interested in me. I offered her a nut since she seemed interactive, but this quickly evolved into making an attempt to bite my finger off through the bars. I half expected this and was very cautious as a result, but still... First lesson to new parront... Parrots are either very grumpy at night, or... because it was a little dark, she did not know who was there and was being defensive as a result. This interaction was very short so please don't stress. I was not intentionally tormenting her at length instead of letting her sleep. I quickly determined she was not in the mood and/or frightened, did what I needed to do, and quietly left the room.

Having learned the hard way the first time, I leave her be at night once she goes to bed. I make it seem like this is completely new information. Please don't misunderstand. I promise you it is not. I know the importance of their sleep and make every effort to avoid disturbing them. Back to her behavior though... I knew well ahead of time from reading, that this behavior was to be expected, but since each parrot is a little different, I had to at least quickly experiment to see how Lada would react (which is actually good for me to know too should I ever need to remove her at night in an emergency). Anyways, a week or so later (tonight), a similar situation came up. I was just getting home late from the lab tonight midnight-ish, long after I put her to bed. I realized that I had left her fresh food bowl in the cage (oops) from dinner. I weighed just leaving it till morning and removing it first thing, but Lada always seems to beat me in the mornings waking up and so I just did not want to leave it in there. Perhaps she would not eat the food and perhaps the food would have been fine overnight, but I did not want to chance it. Remembering our earlier encounter, I wanted to make sure I made this quick, but also I wanted her to know who was in the room. She was already awake when I came in. I turned the lights up slowly and sat close by for a minute in case she needed to wake up. I let her come out of the cage for a few so I could get her food bowl out. Lada and I have not had enough time yet to build a lot of trust so she still generally does not let me take her out of the cage (in case you were wondering). Yes I realize this is not ideal, but for right now it is working while she spends this short time with me. (She goes back in the morning). Anyways, with the lights on, I would think it safe to assume she recognizes me unless she is still in a partial daze from deep sleep. I could tell she was still very grumpy and made some gestures and posture that she wanted me out of the cage and out of the area. Again, I completely feel this is all to be expected. This was more so me just observing her behavior while quickly doing the necessary task. I removed the food bowl and promptly put her back to bed.

I'd like to hear your comments on the grumpiness of your parrots at night.

In case you need a refresher, Lada is a female eckie.

Also, somewhat related question. I have noticed that she seems to vigorously shake/ruffle her feathers upon me entering the room. Is this just an involuntary reaction of her getting startled, or is it also a sort of defense mechanism? I cant see her do it (in the dark), but I from the sound, I picture her fluffing up and shaking her feathers in an attempt to make herself look bigger, intimidating, and making noise to potentially frighten and drive off potential predators. Does this seem a logical explanation for this particular behavior upon entering the room? Has anyone else experienced similar behavior? Also, it does not sound like full wing flapping in case that crossed your mind.

Thanks and go easy on me :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
If I wake up my birds after they go to sleep they usually all want to come out and see me. Keep in mind I am working nights 6 nights a week and I don't get them up until 1 or 2 pm. My husband puts them to bed about 2am. Some nights my birds only get an hour of interaction with me so on my one night off, Even after lights go out ( they are on timers) if they hear me moving around they all start yelling Hi and chirping up a storm. So I guess my birds have adapted well to my weird schedule.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is actually really good to hear for different reasons than my original questions. I have been worried about weird schedules and how the birds would react to them. Good to know they can be flexible with time.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
When Joey is napping or asleep at night, he does not like to be disturbed. He will give me a lot of beak.....

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds are never disturbed at night, and if they were to be, they would get very frightened and upset. Since they're cockatiels, however, they are prone to night frights. (Luckily mine don't have them.) Regular noises don't bother them, but if I needed to disturb them in the middle of the night it would have to be a very long process of turning on the lights slowly, making some morning noises, talking quietly, etc.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Layla is sassy when tired too. I never had the crabby issue with my boy Jasper. Maybe it’s a girl thing. (I’m very unpleasant also if woken. Lol). Jazzi is still a baby so she thinks the world is a big game and any time is play time. I can say that since I bought cage covers for them they sleep so much better than they did before. They are in my master bedroom and I’m a night owl. Layla wouldn’t be able to settle with me still up late at night. Now, the minute I put the covers on they don’t make a peep until they are uncovered. I’m convinced they’d sleep all day if I left them covered up. I think sleep is a important commodity for parrots and they don’t like being messed with when they’ve settled in for the night.

The feather ruffle thing. I’m guessing it’s just normal. Layla and Jazzi both do this also if woken up to something. It’s kind of like a part of the stretching routine. Just getting the feathers aligned and such I imagine.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
This is actually really good to hear for different reasons than my original questions. I have been worried about weird schedules and how the birds would react to them. Good to know they can be flexible with time.
We adjusted them gradually over a period of 2-3 weeks. Making "morning" a little later every couple days. Then making night time later for a couple days and repeating that until they were comfortable with the new schedule.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I don't disturb any family member after they go to bed. It's pretty rare. We have an unspoken rule to not wake anyone out of schedule. We do have dogs and they will bark if there is something running through our yard. I may peek into the bird's room but never with a light on and I don't go near them!

My daughter once thought it might be nice to open their cover in the corner just a bit so they would have light...bad idea. Tito our lovebird thought, "Oh time to come out an play!" and wouldn't stop screaming at us to let him out. We won't do that again. I have thought about letting them sleep out of their cages (I think this is what they want) but I won't do it for safety reasons. If there is an emergency, I don't want to be fumbling around, I want to grab and run.

Schedule changes are done with the sun. We go by sun up and down. I also ignore the hour changes here in California. I don't expect the feathered members of my family to understand time zone changes. I have thought about getting a full spectrum light but we get so much sunshine year round. Still researching that one.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im not to sure about grumpy ..I try not to disturb my birds after they go to bed but we have a two step bedtime ..the first part is they get covered 3 sides and cage lights turned off at 9 pm then when I go to bed they get covered and all the lights get turned out except Ghost he doesnt get covered at all he seems to prefer it that way ...my guys are very flexible on actual lights out because some times I fall asleep on the couch or stay up later then normal and they dont get lights out at 11 like most nights but it doesnt seem to bother them ... but I never bother them after 1st lights out thats when they get all comfy :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
At times, our birds will shake/ruffle their feathers when we come and go into the room. Milton is a big one with this. I think it's him just kind of stretching...and maybe getting ready to come and interact with whomever has come into the room. I can hear him stretch at night also...that's usually followed by the sound of a poop...then he'll settle down again.

Milty will get grumpy at night if you turn the lights on in his room (our bedroom) after he's been covered for the evening. He will tell you "LIGHTS OUT NOW" sharply until you douse the lights.

Buddy grumps to himself after he's covered up for the evening. If you look in on him, you'll see him lying on his back on the floor of his cage, grumping away....:rolleyes:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was not a morning bird, he'd give me the evil eye any time I bothered him when he was still trying to sleep. He kinda hated being put to bed at night too and adapted to our up till 11pm schedule reasonably quickly. Dobby at first HATED bed time and would fly all over the house till we captured him and Momazon confirmed he used to do it with her too. Once he got used to the notion that this was his new happy home he stopped fighting bed time quite as much and usually roosts on a door top hoping we don't notice then will begrudgingly step up, sometimes with ferocious beakings, and let us take him to his house. Most mornings he stays quiet and sits there hoping I leave him alone after he's uncovered for the day. Some days he's awake and ready to go, most he just wants to sleep in.
Nerd went to bed on his own when he was ready, usually around 10 to 11pm. We never covered him and he would hide in the shadows if we got up and he wasn't in the mood to be awake yet. Sometimes we would adjust a cereal box to give him a shadow to hide in which he liked. If it was summer and a nice day sometimes he'd be flock calling and happy to greet the day, most of the time he just wanted to go back to sleep too.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Melon (female IRN) is kinda like how Lada is... In a way. She does not want to be disturbed in her sleep and she will definitely lunge at your for "rudely" wakening her :bash:. Pipsqueak, my GCC, he gets excited and thinks that we will uncover him and let him out to play :rolleyes:!
And when you put Pipsqueak to bed, he complains and mumbles to himself for an hour or so. And then in the morning he does his happy dance when you uncover his cage. Melon on the other hand... She's also not a morning bird as well. Still lunges and yells her morning flock call and demands food right away.;)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry for the late reply. Was away on business.

bungo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexei
My ringneck lets everyone know if I wake her up