• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Plucking at Night

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone can help me with a feather-plucking problem I’ve been having with a green-cheeked conure who is a bit over three years old.

Background: I got him and another bird (a black-capped conure, also approximately three years old) from a man who no longer wanted them about two years ago. He had only had them a month or two. Before that, they had been at a regional pet store (which has a decent reputation with most animals), where they had been hatched. They've never been sexed officially. They are my first parrots. Previously I had a cockatiel for 16 years.

Problem: Until last May, the birds had been housed together in a cage. Last May, the green-cheek started plucking the feathers over the preen gland of the black-capped. Slightly after that, he started plucking his own feathers, primarily under his wings, around his legs, and on the shoulders of his wings. I separated them to two different cages thinking it may be an issue of aggression, but he kept on plucking.

When he first started plucking, it was almost like he was possessed. He also seemed to undergo a behavior change. While before he had a sort of cock-of-the-rock attitude, he's become more timid, while the other bird has become the dominant one. I've tried all types of things: avian lighting, mixing chamomile tea in with their water, spraying him with water mixed with aloe, more toys during the day, moving their caged around. It certainly has improved since then and now it's limited to nights (seems to happen in a cycle of two or three days--nothing for a night or two and then half a dozen or so of the feathers growing in) and, oddly enough, when he's out on my shoulder and he's preening himself. I would say it is moderate plucking: you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at him that he plucks, but, when he lifts his wings, you can.

During the night, I can hear him squawking quietly when he knows I'm awake. I sleep in the same room with them, although, I recently moved--seemed to help the problem somewhat--he used to be difficult to get into his cage at night, but now he goes in willingly. I am able to sleep in a different room than them at my new place, but I didn't want to suddenly disappear on them in a new place.

To add to the mystery, when I took him and the black-capped home to my parents in IL over the summer for two months (July-August), he completely stopped plucking (and even had a big molt). I was able to spend more time with them and they were outside for several hours each day, so they were very spoiled. Once I came back to Ohio to start work again, he started it up again at his current level.

I cover their cages separately and completely with blankets each night from about 6:30PM-6:00AM. I've run an air purifier as a white noise machine for the past year or so. After I put them to bed, the house is typically pretty quiet, so no frightening noises. Humidity is typically around 65% in the house. They are flighted and out of their cages for 3-4 hours a day. I try to get them outside for an hour or two when the weather and my schedule allows. He takes a bath 2-3 times a week. They eat mostly Zupreem pellets with fruit and some millet daily. I've had him to two separate vets who said he looks like a very healthy, strong bird and it almost certainly something environmental or psychosomatic, which seems to be verified by his stopping it for a full two months.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I think for some reason he may be frightened during the nights. Ideas I've been tossing around the idea of getting a humidifier, leaving the cage partially uncovered so it's not completely dark, leaving a side of each cage visible under the blankets so the birds can see one another, moving to a different room so he can't hear me during the night.

I'm wondering what those of you who are more experienced with parrots may think. Sorry for the somewhat lengthy email, but I know with parrots the smallest detail can be important. Please let me know if you think I've left some bit of information out. The issue is frustrating because it makes me feel like I am an good parrot owner and I sometimes get to the point that I just want to throw my hand up.

Thank you for any advice you all can give.

Andrew

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Maybe give him a night light or moving into the other room. Humans can disrupt a bird's sleep. If he is getting startled the night light should be able to keep him calm.

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks. I'm going to try the night light and letting them have them have their own room.

He also preens constantly (much more than my other bird) and sometimes plucks when he's out on my shoulder doing that.

put a toilet paper bunch toy in his cage over night. It's nearly always destroyed from his chewing the next morning.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good idea to have sone chew/shred toys for him to work on.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
here are just some random things I'm thinking -could it be an allergy to the dyes in the zupreem? metal toxicity? giardia maybe? - doubt it since it did stop when you left, but well water can be a source of it. Hormones maybe?

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Perhaps a visit to the vet would help determine if it is a medical or "behavioral" rooted problem.

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
I've had him to two different vets who said he was healthy. He tested negative for giardia last spring. I also had the vet give him a shot of lupron around the same time, since we both thought it could possibly be spring hormones (especially with the change in his demeanour). The shot didn't seem to do much. If anything, it only stressed him out and caused him to pluck more for a few nights afterwards.

Tonight he did something new: he climbed into the other bird's cage like he wanted to sleep in there. I got him out and put him in his own cage. The two squabble every now and then and he's plucked feathers off the other one during the night when they were caged together, so I'm not comfortable with them being in the same cage without my supervision. I did leave a night light on and covered the cages so the inner sides were left uncovered (so they can hopefully see one another). He was just now doing a sad little cry for some reason, so I'm not sure it helped. :(

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Could it be something in your house (but not in your parents' house)? Anything in the air? Anything that is stressing him out? Do you know if he plucked before you got him? How old is he?

I know it is very frustrating. I have one ex-plucker caique. She is fully feathered now but once she plucked really badly, and I tried almost everything, too. I would also describe her to be "possessed" when she was in plucking mode. She would stare at her feathers and plucked a little, but the worst time was at night. She would let it grew almost completely, then next morning, totally naked! It seemed as if she had chemical imbalance and plucking made it worse. Eventually, I had her wear a tube-type collar. After she wore it for several months, she stopped plucking. She has not plucked for several years (other than a few feathers when she was under stress ---- when we moved)

Besides the collar, one thing I think helped her was small sleep cage and a security "blanket." Blanket is something similar to this: How to make this snuggle buddy fleece toy? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You are doing a good job taking care of them. I wish I could help.

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
I've been trying to think what was at or absent at my parents' that stopped it. The only thing I can think of is that people were around more during the day and they got more attention and outside time, which somehow resulted in him being calmer during the night. As is, I'm at work most of the day, though they still get out 3-4 hours a day.

He's constantly preening when he's out of his cage, which only started with the plucking. I'm not sure on whether he was a plucked before I got him, although I don't think so. With that said, I have little information about how he was weaned or taken care for the first year of his life before I got him.

I'll try a fleece blanket or toy and see how that goes.

Does reintroducing the birds to the same cage at night seem like a good or bad idea?

Thanks for all the help. I'm determined to solve this problem and probably can't do it alone.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Perhaps it isn't something that they had instead of didn't have. Different cage setup, different temperature, things like that.

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
I forgot to mention that, after he takes a bath, he preens certain areas like crazy. (I tried to attach a video but can't.) It's like certain areas bother him for some reason.

I mist his back with water mixed with aloe daily and he takes baths himself every few days. Could it be some skin condition?

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
Sorry for the frequent posts but someone mentioned a collar. Someone local once mentioned I could get something like a collar (see link below) and put it around until all his feathers grow back in and see if he's still bothered by anything. One of the vets thought that it could potentially make his plucking much worse. I'm a bit averse to collars (even fleece ones) but if it seems to others that it is something that could help, please let me know.

DIY Poncho | Avian Fashions

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Sorry for the frequent posts but someone mentioned a collar. Someone local once mentioned I could get something like a collar (see link below) and put it around until all his feathers grow back in and see if he's still bothered by anything. One of the vets thought that it could potentially make his plucking much worse. I'm a bit averse to collars (even fleece ones) but if it seems to others that it is something that could help, please let me know.

DIY Poncho | Avian Fashions
I would be worried about the elastic being a strangulatiion hazard.

check these outProtective Parrot Petals by Pam | Facebook

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Let's see:
1) NOT medical (disease)
2) NOT a bad habit.

Based on what you said:
1) if he is messing with particular areas, I think it is possible that something is bothering him.
2) Can you hire a birdsitter to spend time with him so see if that helps?
3) What kind of toys does he like? Give him something that can occupy him.

Best Wishes.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They are my first parrots. Previously I had a cockatiel for 16 years.
So a cockatiel isn't a parrot?

I've tried all types of things: avian lighting, mixing chamomile tea in with their water, spraying him with water mixed with aloe, more toys during the day, moving their caged around. It certainly has improved since then and now it's limited to nights (seems to happen in a cycle of two or three days--nothing for a night or two and then half a dozen or so of the feathers growing in) and, oddly enough, when he's out on my shoulder and he's preening himself. I would say it is moderate plucking: you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at him that he plucks, but, when he lifts his wings, you can.
Have you tried encouraging more foraging activities?

Have you tried a diet change?

An elimination diet? (allergy diet)

Have you tried teaching new behaviors?

You say both are flighted. Have you tried having them fly between different areas until they are exhausted? Daily exercise such as this may help. Twice daily, if you can do it and they're ok with it!

He takes a bath 2-3 times a week.
You mention spraying him with aloe daily. Have you tried anything like Heal-X/Avix Soother Spray or Avicalm? Or Featheriffic?

Harrison's Bird Foods is a family of certified organic pet bird diets that were formulated to make your bird as healthy as it can possibly be. (these products can be more difficult to get a hold of)
Nutritional Supplements for Birds

They eat mostly Zupreem pellets with fruit and some millet daily.
He needs vegetables in his diet. If he's eating Zupreem Fruitblend, put him on Zupreem Natural instead. Or try the Roudybush Rice Diet, designed for birds that have allergies to foods in their diet. (used as part of an elimination diet). Or you could try Harrison's, TOP's or Roudybush?

Either way, try changing his diet!

I've had him to two separate vets who said he looks like a very healthy, strong bird and it almost certainly something environmental or psychosomatic, which seems to be verified by his stopping it for a full two months.
Besides giardia, have they done any other tests? Have they done any x-rays? Skin and feather biopsies?

Ideas I've been tossing around the idea of getting a humidifier, leaving the cage partially uncovered so it's not completely dark, leaving a side of each cage visible under the blankets so the birds can see one another, moving to a different room so he can't hear me during the night.
If you think it's worth a shot, try it!

It does sound "most probably" behavioral, but as mentioned, it could be something in the diet, in his water, in the environment, or?

Maybe, despite you being the best parront you can be to him, you aren't the perfect home for him? It sounds like he might do best in a home with someone home 24/7. I'm not saying you should rehome him, I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility!

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for all the responses!

I tried switching their diet to Harrison's but neither of them really took to it after two months. I've been thinking about switching to Zupreem Natural but didn't want the same thing to happen.

I try to make sure they get in a good number "laps" around the house each day. I don't do it to the point where they are exhausted but I'll try having them do several more each time.

They get a mix of peas, broccoli, and kale, although they usually only eat the peas. I periodically try sprouts with them, but they never seem to take.

I got a humidifier and night light for room where the birds sleep. Does anyone know a good relative humidity level for conures? Around 65%?

I've thought about rehoming them. I feel terrible about even thinking it, since the GCC is so attached to me and the black-capped: one of us always has to be in his view. I thought I'd wait several more months and see where things end up. The plucking isn't severe, but I'm terrified of it becoming a worse habit than it is currently.

For the past two nights the GCC has gone into the cage of the black-capped when it was bedtime. I'd love to let them be in the same cage for the night, but this whole thing started shortly after the GCC plucked the BCC's preen gland area several times. The BCC can also be slightly aggressive sometimes, usually around food. I'm wary about reintroducing them during the night. How does it sound to everyone else?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

aviumcaelum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
I thought I'd include a few pictures to show everyone what we're dealing with (although they don't really show the underside of his wings).

In the close-up you may be able to see how the feathers right around the wing are rather thin.

I looked into feather sprays other than aloe mixed with water and found Avitech Feather-in and Feather Glo. Has anyone had experience with either? Some of the reviews say they leave residue on the feathers.

Attachments