• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going to college and having a single lovebird, will that be okay?

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
Hello, before you guys start saying no, do hear me out :) When i went to a bird store, (i know that adopting is better but i don’t have any places to adopt birds in my area) i saw a lovebird in a cage with 3 other lovebirds. He looked rather lonely and distanced himself from the 3 other lovebirds. Hence, we bought him.
I’ll be going to college in a week’s time & my lovebird would have to be alone for a few hours. (i’m unsure of the hours i’ll be gone because college doesn’t have a fixed schedule) My dad would be at home most of the time so he would interact with my lovebird for awhile but we won’t let him out without my supervision. (my lovebird is very playful so i’m worried that smth might happen to him when i’m not watching him)
My lovebird has a flight cage that is pretty big 32x20x55” so he’s able to fly abit in the cage. I put a lot of toys for him to play & will switch on the radio before i leave the house for college. His cage is also put in the living room, near the window (don’t worry the cage isn’t placed directly in front/beside the window) so it can provide him some entertainment and interact with the wild birds outside.
Sorry if this seemed very long, but thank you for taking your time to read this & if possible, do let me know if my bird will be fine alone or if i have to get another bird for him, & specifically what type of bird! Thanks :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If your dad will be home a lot, and willing to interact with your bird, then it would be ok. Just remember a lone lovebird really needs a lot of attention.
Maybe have some trial runs letting the bird out with you and your dad there, and remind him about doors, windows, other pets, keeping an eye on the little one etc so that he can have your bird out of the cage during the day.
Remember they sleep like 11-2 hours overnight, then minus the time you are at college during the day, leaves few hours to have them out and play.
Not impossible, there´s a lot of bird owner who work nine to fives etc , but the more interactions you can arrange for him, the better.

Be sure to always have lots of toys to rotate in and out of the cage, and look into foraging activities. You can prep some, store them in a box then pull them out before you leave for college and put them in the cage :)

You don´t have to get another bird for him, though a bird companion is always nice. Be mindful that not all birds get on with each other and could mean a new cage, and being housed separately. For best chances of them getting on, get the same species of lovebird. Only get a second bird if you want a second bird.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
You sound like you've already thought things thru-- good! Make sure you put things on the windows so he will know the barrier. [decals, string, etc].
Nice size cage for 1x bird.
Q-- can you handle/ touch him? They LOVE a good squeeze! And cuddle in your neckline! Love those guys!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you've planned well for this & that is one lucky bird!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Your bird sounds like a happy little guy. Teaching your dad to let your bird out would be best, but if your dad cannot let your bird out and supervise him, maybe he can at least sit next to his cage and talk with him, feed him treats, etc. throughout the day.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Awww, sounds like such a happy, lucky little lovebird! Your setup sounds great, and your bird should be fine. Many people have their birds home alone all day when the go to school or work, and you can see that man birds are a-ok like that! But it would be nicer if your dad could sit next to him and keep him company!

(Personally, my lovebird was wayyyy happier when she got a friend, but you don't need another bird. But if you want one, then it might be nice for your lovie to have a friend!(another lovebird would be best))

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
If your dad will be home a lot, and willing to interact with your bird, then it would be ok. Just remember a lone lovebird really needs a lot of attention.
Maybe have some trial runs letting the bird out with you and your dad there, and remind him about doors, windows, other pets, keeping an eye on the little one etc so that he can have your bird out of the cage during the day.
Remember they sleep like 11-2 hours overnight, then minus the time you are at college during the day, leaves few hours to have them out and play.
Not impossible, there´s a lot of bird owner who work nine to fives etc , but the more interactions you can arrange for him, the better.

Be sure to always have lots of toys to rotate in and out of the cage, and look into foraging activities. You can prep some, store them in a box then pull them out before you leave for college and put them in the cage :)

You don´t have to get another bird for him, though a bird companion is always nice. Be mindful that not all birds get on with each other and could mean a new cage, and being housed separately. For best chances of them getting on, get the same species of lovebird. Only get a second bird if you want a second bird.
Thank u so much for the reply :)! i’ll definitely rotate the toys in the cage and sadly my dad won’t rly be able to supervise him well so he’ll probably just whistle and talk to my lovebird sometimes!! Getting a bird companion definitely sounds nice but it’ll be quite troublesome for me because i have to buy a lot of things for it as well, i’ll observe my lovebird and see if he’s fine when i’m out and go to college! :)

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
y
You sound like you've already thought things thru-- good! Make sure you put things on the windows so he will know the barrier. [decals, string, etc].
Nice size cage for 1x bird.
Q-- can you handle/ touch him? They LOVE a good squeeze! And cuddle in your neckline! Love those guys!
Thanks so much for the reply :)!! Yes, we have window grills so he won’t just randomly fly into the window or smth haha!! I’m glad it’s a nice size cage for my lovebird :) i’m not able to touch my bird because i just got him a few months ago :( wld be nice if i could tho!!

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
Your bird sounds like a happy little guy. Teaching your dad to let your bird out would be best, but if your dad cannot let your bird out and supervise him, maybe he can at least sit next to his cage and talk with him, feed him treats, etc. throughout the day.
Sadly, my dad won’t be able to supervise my lovebird well, but he’ll just whistle and talk to him sometimes when he’s around, as for the treats, i’ll put some inside his toys to forage for them :)!! Thanks so much for the reply!!!

sunrisebir

Moving in
Real Name
sunrisebirb
Awww, sounds like such a happy, lucky little lovebird! Your setup sounds great, and your bird should be fine. Many people have their birds home alone all day when the go to school or work, and you can see that man birds are a-ok like that! But it would be nicer if your dad could sit next to him and keep him company!

(Personally, my lovebird was wayyyy happier when she got a friend, but you don't need another bird. But if you want one, then it might be nice for your lovie to have a friend!(another lovebird would be best))
My dad will whistle and talk to my lovebird sometimes when he’s around at home! Thank you, I’m glad my set up for him is good :)! Yup i agree, i wanted to get him another bird but when i saw him in the shop, he seemed to distance himself from the other lovebirds in the cage & if i get another bird it wld be quite troublesome because i’ll have to get the cage and many things for the other bird as well since it’s best not to put them in the same cage! But i’ll observe my lovebird and see if he’s fine with me going out to college!! Thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate it :)!!