• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going on vacation!

Gizmo

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone!! So I am going on vacation this Monday, and my aunt is babysitting my budgie Tweety bird. I’ve had him for a year and we have bonded a lot.I’ve educated my aunt with all the stuff she needs to know to babysit him. I am bringing him to her tomorrow and He will be staying in his smaller cage for the week he’s there. Does anyone have any tips & or information/tricks that will help with getting him prepared for the days away from home?

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Don't do anything different - budgies love routine. Can you ask your aunt to keep to your normal schedule: feeding times, letting him out (assuming he's in a bird safe room), sleep time, etc? That will help him settle better until you get him.

Enjoy your vacation .

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I have family watch my birds for a couple days at a time occasionally, and we’ve got a pretty good routine now. I pre-bag each day’s meals- it’s a lot of little labeled baggies for their pellets, seed, freeze dried veggies, evening treats, but i try to make it easy on the person caring for them. Along those lines, while they get both fresh and dry veg at home, for simplicity’s sake they do fine with just dry for a few days. I also include a little printout with general instructions (my babies only drink filtered water :rolleyes: ) and their vet’s contact info.

I saw a thread recently where someone suggested making up a basket of little toys or foraging activities for the bird and having the caretaker put a new one in the cage each day and I thought that was brilliant! I’ll be doing it next time mine go “visiting.”

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I pre-bag each day’s meals- it’s a lot of little labeled baggies for their pellets, seed, freeze dried veggies, evening treats
I do this too when I go to the UK for 4 days. I leave tewo days of chop in the fridge (one container per day), and two containers in the freezer. Makes it easier for my partner. Defo a great tip!

A similar thread recently;

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Aha! @Zara it was YOU with the brilliant suggestion for daily enrichment! I thought so but I couldn’t find the thread to quote it. :D

Gizmo

Strolling the yard
Don't do anything different - budgies love routine. Can you ask your aunt to keep to your normal schedule: feeding times, letting him out (assuming he's in a bird safe room), sleep time, etc? That will help him settle better until you get him.

Enjoy your vacation .
I will try this!! Thx for the tip! :)

Gizmo

Strolling the yard
I have family watch my birds for a couple days at a time occasionally, and we’ve got a pretty good routine now. I pre-bag each day’s meals- it’s a lot of little labeled baggies for their pellets, seed, freeze dried veggies, evening treats, but i try to make it easy on the person caring for them. Along those lines, while they get both fresh and dry veg at home, for simplicity’s sake they do fine with just dry for a few days. I also include a little printout with general instructions (my babies only drink filtered water :rolleyes: ) and their vet’s contact info.

I saw a thread recently where someone suggested making up a basket of little toys or foraging activities for the bird and having the caretaker put a new one in the cage each day and I thought that was brilliant! I’ll be doing it next time mine go “visiting.”
Oooh good idea thx!!