• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting My Attention?

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Hi! Today I was just wondering how your parrot gets your attention? Because pippin (my lovebird), has an on going list of things he will do. First off...

• Cage Banging: To get my attention, he does this certain position in the corner of his cage. One foot in on the perch and one is clawed onto the wall, and he bangs.... His beak.... AGAINST THE BARS...... REPEATEDLY!!! But, I love him. :heart:
  • Fish Tank drinking?: To Grab my attention, weather I am playing with Sunny, or about to leave the room, or something! Pippin will fly to the fish tank, wait a few seconds, and drinks the fish tank water. About, 3 times in a row each time he flies over.
  • Nibble Growling: When Pippin is on my shoulder, and I am busy, he will nibble me while growling. Silly boy. Haha!
  • Tweet Tweet: Sunny (my cockatiel) When she wants attention, so far as I know she will tweet, and tweet... Oh and... guess what... Tweet!
  • Climbing: This goes for both my baby birds, they climb their cage bars and tweet a lot when they want out.

So what attention getting things does your parrot do?

:tiel2:Sunshine A.K.A. Sunny :rflb:Pippin

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Besides the obvious screaming :rolleyes:, Elvis will shoot pieces of pellets or his clips out of his cage, often directly at me. He'll dump his food bowl. He'll hang upside down from the top of his cage. When he's out of his cage, he'll just fly to me if he wants my attention. Or throw things out of the cupboard. :rolleyes: Scooter, my foster tiel, is pretty chill but will ring his bell or attack his one toy to get my attention. He also has started to hang upside down too. I think Elvis is rubbing off on him. :scared3:

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Besides the obvious screaming :rolleyes:, Elvis will shoot pieces of pellets or his clips out of his cage, often directly at me. He'll dump his food bowl. He'll hang upside down from the top of his cage. When he's out of his cage, he'll just fly to me if he wants my attention. Or throw things out of the cupboard. :rolleyes: Scooter, my foster tiel, is pretty chill but will ring his bell or attack his one toy to get my attention. He also has started to hang upside down too. I think Elvis is rubbing off on him. :scared3:
Oh wow! Haha, Pippin flies to me when he wants my attention too. :) Silly parrots! Thanks for sharing.

:tiel2:Sunshine A.K.A. Sunny :rflb:Pippin

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy likes to scream too! I've been teaching him to whistle instead. So we call to one another. Sometimes he gets an piece of an egg noodle, sometimes a beet or chickpea noodle. All dry! Tonight he got 4 cherrios.

I try to mix the real good treats in w/ :sour: ehhh treats. That way he never knows. He really love's the egg noodles but I try to not give him much refined white flour which I believe are what they're mostly made from.

He's made amazing progress & I'm so glad that @JLcribber helped me learn that rewarding the good behavior works really well in this situation, where yelling, scolding & being totally frustrated w/ the bad doesn't. So now w/ the bad I just say no, or completely ignore. Good gets a yummy treat, some super favorites & others just good or fine.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Yoshi will shake his bowls, chirp whilst doing the I’m about to fly motion and will hang from one foot upside down.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine has a drop down door on her cage. When she wants my attention and I am near, she starts walking on the door looking like a lion getting ready to jump on his prey!!

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Mido just tweets when he is in his cage. And flies to me whenever he wants some attention. When he is on my shoulder and I don't make a big deal about it, he starts tweeting and flaps his wings.

Scooter, my foster tiel, is pretty chill but will ring his bell or attack his one toy to get my attention.
Momo will do the same whenever he is in his cage. When he is out and he thinks that whatever I'm doing is not entertaining enough, he flies to the plants (where he is not allowed). He knows I'll come and get him. Yeah, he trained me so well...

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird and my conure both have specific calls that they make for me, and I whistle back the same sound. I love that we have our own special calls :heart: Aoife, lovebird, will kind of rattle her beak between the cage bars for my attention. Galahad, conure, also barks sometimes for my attention, sometimes because he's wound up, but I never respond because I don't particularly care for his barking!