• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Few feathers on my conure?

exloofi

Moving in
My sun conure Rio has much less feathers than my other conure Sonny. They’re both basically the same age and it worries us that they have so little feathers! Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? (P.S we don’t know the genders of our birds yet, we’re hoping to get a DNA test soon)
0EE22C89-F1CC-427D-AF46-1F0886DEA463.jpeg
F3C1006A-74A6-4E69-A413-4ECD4F0E7BDB.jpeg
(Sonny is on the left in this picture, Rio is on the right.)

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Are they housed together? Can it be that your conure is plucking the other one’s feathers?

exloofi

Moving in
Are they housed together? Can it be that your conure is plucking the other one’s feathers?
They used to be. Now they are in separate cages for a little. Whenever we take them out of the cages they do like to be next to each other though. I’m still relatively new to owning birds so I’m not sure whether Sonny is plucking Rio or just grooming them.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
They used to be. Now they are in separate cages for a little. Whenever we take them out of the cages they do like to be next to each other though. I’m still relatively new to owning birds so I’m not sure whether Sonny is plucking Rio or just grooming them.
Just Try to keep an eye on them when they’re together and see whether there are a lot of fallen feathers afterwards.
another reason could be for your conure to play harsh with wooden toys? Something similar happened to my ringneck and now it all grew back, but i believe it was the ladder that he was chewing on.

exloofi

Moving in
Just Try to keep an eye on them when they’re together and see whether there are a lot of fallen feathers afterwards.
another reason could be for your conure to play harsh with wooden toys? Something similar happened to my ringneck and now it all grew back, but i believe it was the ladder that he was chewing on.
Rio doesn’t have any wooden toys at the moment, but we’ll make sure to keep an eye out when they’re outside together. Thank you :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you see any plucked feathers in Rio's cage?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are you able to tell if they are molted or plucked? Plucked feathers usually have a root on them.