• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent EMERGENCY Baby Eclectus Slow crop(6 weeks old)

TracyTheAl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tracy
Hi, i have a problem regarding my baby eclectus' crop. His crop is emptying but in a very slow manner. I am afraid that he has become under weight because of this. He can only eat 10 ml nutribird A21 formula and empty his crop in 6 hours. imagine it, 6 hours with a watery solution. I dont know what to do. I have had hand fed many parrots like lovebirds, conures and our umbrella cockatoo with no problems that we encountered. I don't know why it is like this on our 6 weeks old eclectus. He's not weak he always walks towards me and calls me everytime he sees me. But i dont know what to do with his crop. Im scared of what will happen if this continues. The nearest avian vet from us is hundreds of kilometers away plus we cant cross the borders between citys because of the current pandemic. Can some one please help me.

P.S.
I always make sure the formula temperature is right plus im living in a tropical country so ambient temperature is not a problem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Zara ?

Can you at least phone the vet and ask if they can give you a closer resource or tips?

Was this a breeder bird? Can you contact the breeder?

TracyTheAl

Real Name
Tracy
@Zara ?

Can you at least phone the vet and ask if they can give you a closer resource or tips?

Was this a breeder bird? Can you contact the breeder?

I contacted the breeder and the breeder said that it is due to stress because of how far the eclectus traveled and he said that he will soon be back to normal. He also added to give him blended ripe papaya to help aid digestion. But it has been a week now since he arrived here in our house and his crop is still slow. I dont know what to do. The avian vet is scheduled tomorrow for an online appointment. I posted this here because im hoping someone can give me some advice. Thank you and take care always.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I agree with @Mizzely. Time see a avian vet. You could try a little apple cider vinegar but if this is infection ACV will not help. How old is this baby?

TracyTheAl

Real Name
Tracy
I agree with @Mizzely. Time see a avian vet. You could try a little apple cider vinegar but if this is infection ACV will not help. How old is this baby?
He is 6 weeks old now. He can empty his crop but it is very slow. Tomorrow we have an online appointment to an avian vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
How far did this little one travel from breeder to you?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He also added to give him blended ripe papaya to help aid digestion
How did you do that?
There´s a way to feed this that seems to be quite successful, I haven´t tried it myself but others here have and it worked.
The instructions were on the thread linked by Mizzely above, here is the direct link to the post ; Some helpful links about hand feeding and weaning:)

I have had hand fed many parrots like lovebirds, conures and our umbrella cockatoo with no problems that we encountered. I don't know why it is like this on our 6 weeks old eclectus.
I can´t answer that. But I will say that Versele laga make other formulas than the A21 (green top, used for lovebirds, conures and other smaller parrots), and for Eclectus the formula is called A19 (it has a yellow lid, it´s designed for Eclectus, Macaws and Greys).

The formula should be 1 part formula powder to 2-2.5 parts water. And feed 10% of your birds bodyweight daily. The formula shouldn´t be ¨watery¨, it should be a thick sauce, like runny porridge.

TracyTheAl

Real Name
Tracy
How did you do that?
There´s a way to feed this that seems to be quite successful, I haven´t tried it myself but others here have and it worked.
The instructions were on the thread linked by Mizzely above, here is the direct link to the post ; Some helpful links about hand feeding and weaning:)

We just blended ripe papaya until it becomes smooth and heat it with water until the temperature is right(about 39°C). It helps his digestion but some times its not fast enough.

I can´t answer that. But I will say that Versele laga make other formulas than the A21 (green top, used for lovebirds, conures and other smaller parrots), and for Eclectus the formula is called A19 (it has a yellow lid, it´s designed for Eclectus, Macaws and Greys).

But the breeder is feeding him a21 so im afraid to change his formula to a19.

The formula should be 1 part formula powder to 2-2.5 parts water. And feed 10% of your birds bodyweight daily. The formula shouldn´t be ¨watery¨, it should be a thick sauce, like runny porridge.

Yes that is right but they say eclectuses have longer guts so their formula should be a little bit watery than the usual formula to other birds.

TracyTheAl

Real Name
Tracy
We just called the vet and he advised us to use pedialyte to avoid dehydration. He said that our parrot is still acclimating to its new environment.