• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disabled parrot no perches??

EmmaAndEiffel

Sitting on the front steps
My rosella had bumblefoot surgery on his feet years ago and since then we've been battling blisters on his feet, I go up and down to the vet often and they can find no cause so I've been told "it's just something that's gonna happen because of the surgery".
He's on long term anti inflammatorys and pain meds but I just saw a post on a Facebook page about how her disabled parrot walks on his "ankles" because of a foot injury and he has the exact same blisters as my boy in the exact same place so now I'm thinking maybe the surgery has caused permanent damage to his feet and how he walks and perches??. I'm not blaming my vet or anything, obviously these things can happen and he needed the surgery so my question now is how do I make him more comfortable? The Facebook post said she removed all perches from the cage and uses only flat platforms. Is this a good idea? Will it cause any pain for his feet to be constantly stretched out? Are the perches causing more pain than platforms would?

I've never cared for a disabled pet before and I feel like my brain is about to explode because I want to help him and I'm afraid of doing more damage...can anyone give any advice or know someone that has experience in this?

Please help

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I think it would depend so much on his particular situation that I'm not sure anyone could give you a definitive answer.

My suggestion would be to ask your bird: put a number of platform perches in some of his favorite places to hang out (while also keeping some regular ones) and see if you can see a pattern of where he chooses to spend his time.

I will say that both of my birds spend a good part of their day hanging out on flat surfaces and it doesn't seem to cause them any discomfort. The particularly like to hang out of the edges of surfaces so their toenails hang down over the front edge but the rest of their foot is on a plane.

As long as they're capable of moving on their own, if one spot starts to feel uncomfortable, they just go somewhere else.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd definitely add a platform perch to see if it's less painful.
Perhaps a thick rope perch, and a perch that is padded.
Try several options and watch what your bird does.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally wouldn’t remove the normal perches he’s used to but I would add some platforms so he has the option to choose from.

You’ll know soon enough what he prefers.

I have one bird (no feet problems) I’ve added a long platform for as he was regularly falling from normal branch perches- he alternates when he wants and needs between all the different surfaces and textures he has to use.

The more he has to choose from the easier he can manage his pain and discomfort.