• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Cage Upgrade?

RotheGCC

Moving in
Ro is fully flighted now and knows how to fly so I was looking to upgrade her cage. However, even though she has the space to flap around now, she doesn't. Her cage is 14 inches deep, 31 inches long and 52 inches high. She seems very content in it and hasn't had any stress or behaviour problems relating to a lack of stimulation or space. I'd like to upgrade her but would like a second opinion, does she need it now? She is about an inch smaller than the average Green Cheek Conure as well. Is her current cage large enough?

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
14 is a little narrow. I've read that 24 is a good minimum. My cage is 23x23 and has plenty of room in it for Farlie.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have a 26x20x34 for Cheddar BUT he's out if I'm home 99% of the time. NOW Riti was in this cage and it was clearly too small for her. A friend offered me a 32x21x35 flight cage. The fight cage is a big square box and the cage Cheddar is in is a fancy scroll top so even though Riti's doesn't sound like it's THAT much larger there ton more room. Cheddar may be up for a new cage as pretty cages are nice BIG is where it's at. Riti's digs are on the left with Cheddar home on the right.

Cage Setup 1.jpg

RotheGCC

Moving in
Thanks all! I always like to double check with other bird peoples as everyone has different tips and tricks! I'll be going on a bit of a hunt now. For bar spacing I was wondering if it would be safe to fudge it a little bit? Like have a bit larger spacing? When I rescued Ro she was in a dog crate she could easily have walked out of but never did. She doesn't attempt escape even when she knows she can.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I would not, the biggest danger is them getting their head stuck and breaking their neck. But a wing can get in there as well. Stick with 3/8" to 5/8".

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks all! I always like to double check with other bird peoples as everyone has different tips and tricks! I'll be going on a bit of a hunt now. For bar spacing I was wondering if it would be safe to fudge it a little bit? Like have a bit larger spacing? When I rescued Ro she was in a dog crate she could easily have walked out of but never did. She doesn't attempt escape even when she knows she can.

Nope. Never fudge it. 3/4" is the absolutely widest you should go with a GCC, and make sure whatever cage you buy doesn't have odd gaps at the bottom or sides that are wider. I had that problem on one of my cages (1/2" bar spacing, 1" gaps at the bottom) and had to block off the bigger holes to prevent my quaker from sticking his head out of them.