• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Claws trim

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hi
I've got my parrot for nearly for 4 months
I trimmed his claws twice once he's started getting used to me a lot.

So last time was in the first of the last month and now they've grown tall and i tried to clip them yesterday but he wasn't happy with it and got scared :"(
I think his vein grows to the end of his nails :(
I'm so worried i don't have vet around
What shall i do ???
I stopped clipping them because i thought they didn't need to when i put natural perch in his cage
please help :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A picture of your birds feet while he’s standing on a flat surface like a table top will be helpful.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I only have this :"(
Idealy a photo on a flat surface would clearly show us if the length is a problem. To be honest though they don't look like they desperately need trimming. They might be uncomfortable for us when they perch on us but our birds rely on their nails to grip their perches securely.
A good mix of natural perches inside and outside of the cage with varying textures will keep the nails under control. I haven't had a bird's nails clipped in over 20 years apart from one that couldn't use her feet properly.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Idealy a photo on a flat surface would clearly show us if the length is a problem. To be honest though they don't look like they desperately need trimming. They might be uncomfortable for us when they perch on us but our birds rely on their nails to grip their perches securely.
A good mix of natural perches inside and outside of the cage with varying textures will keep the nails under control. I haven't had a bird's nails clipped in over 20 years apart from one that couldn't use her feet properly.
I'll try tomorrow to get clearer picture
Thank you. Yes it's not comfortable when he perches on my hand. I have scratches all over my hand but i couldn't care less as long as it's fine. I'm afraid if I'd accidentally clip too much...
Would you please recommend good natural perches and texture i can give my parrot?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You can find natural wood perches with most online vendors. You can also collect your own branches from trees in your neighbourhood so long as they are 'safe' woods.
There's a little info on the thread I'll link but you'll need more info so use the forum search tool and search 'natural perches' and 'safe woods'. Please read thoroughly though as a safe branch from the side of a main road is actually dangerous, and you need to prepare branches properly.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
You can find natural wood perches with most online vendors. You can also collect your own branches from trees in your neighbourhood so long as they are 'safe' woods.
There's a little info on the thread I'll link but you'll need more info so use the forum search tool and search 'natural perches' and 'safe woods'. Please read thoroughly though as a safe branch from the side of a main road is actually dangerous, and you need to prepare branches properly.
I will
Thank you very much

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I just want to add this, I missed it. If you want to give him a pedi-perch please read the following link carefully, it's too easy to buy a bad perch or put it in the wrong place. @Zara always gives good advice.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
I just want to add this, I missed it. If you want to give him a pedi-perch please read the following link carefully, it's too easy to buy a bad perch or put it in the wrong place. @Zara always gives good advice.
Thank you!
I will take a deep look at this
I also posted a picture of his feet i just took

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I also posted a picture of his feet i just took
Yeah, they don't look too bad at all. A good variety of perches and possibly a pedi-perch would take the sharpness off the tips for you but please read Zara's advice to use a safe pedi-perch safely.
:yes3:

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Yeah, they don't look too bad at all. A good variety of perches and possibly a pedi-perch would take the sharpness off the tips for you but please read Zara's advice to use a safe pedi-perch safely.
:yes3:
Yes i read it.
And i will look for online stores which sell those brands
Thank you for sharing all those
I'm grateful for you

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Since it sounds like your bird will let you groom his feet:
If you need to take the sharp tips off, use an emery board (nail file) to take the points off. This way you can help keep the length in control and not so sharp for you, and you don't need to worry about cutting the quick (another word for the vein in the nail)
It would be a good habit to do it regularly so it is never too long a session and he remains used to it.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Since it sounds like your bird will let you groom his feet:
If you need to take the sharp tips off, use an emery board (nail file) to take the points off. This way you can help keep the length in control and not so sharp for you, and you don't need to worry about cutting the quick (another word for the vein in the nail)
It would be a good habit to do it regularly so it is never too long a session and he remains used to it.
Oh thanks
Yes all i do is only take sharp tips off since he doesn't like being hold to clip his nail at all so i can't use nail file.
Yes i should do it regularly but i didn't for a month so i was worried if his vein grows so i couldn't tirm them
I'll buy pedi perches and use better natural perches to keep nails length under control