• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can budgies eat cockatiel pellets?

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
My budgie Sky has been on Harrison’s lifetime mash for awhile now and she seems to like it (or at least tolerate it) but lately she has taken to sneaking into our cockatiel’s cage and eating his pellets as well. Our cockatiel is currently on HARI’s Tropimix, we were wondering if it would be alright to give her a little bit of these pellets in her mash since she seems to like them so much. We’re not sure about how different their dietary needs are, I did read that cockatiels can handle higher fat content than budgies due to being physically bigger, so budgies shouldn’t be fed something like a ton of sunflower seeds for example. Could anyone advise?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
As far as I know, the only difference in most pellets is size, they use the same formula. It should be fine, but I'll tag @Mizzely because she knows more than I do lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most pellets have the same formula regardless of the size :) For Hari, their Tropican formula is the same for parakeets through macaw :)

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
They would probably be too big to eat...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes too big to swallow safely. Harrisons makes extra small pellets.

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
Harrisons is 100% organic. Is Tropimix? Also, doesn't tropimix have seeds in it? If so, I'd be concerned that your budgie would favor the seeds over the healthier and better-rounded Harrisons pellets.

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
@Olliebirb @Lady Jane I was going to crush up the pellets before giving them to Sky so she would have an easier time eating them, so I’m not too worried about that.

@grafton I’m not sure about it being 100% organic, and there are seeds in the Tropimix but from what I’ve seen, not very many.

Interestingly, did recently try to switch our cockatiel to the same mash that Sky is on at the recommendation of our vet and Sky still went for our cockatiel’s food bowl and ate from it several times despite it being filled with the same food she usually eats. Could it be that she just wants to eat from his food bowl and doesn’t care what’s inside of it?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Could it be that she just wants to eat from his food bowl and doesn’t care what’s inside of it?
It's very possible. Budgies (especially little hens) can be real bullies. They like to establish dominance even with bigger birds like cockatiels. I had a little hen years ago who did the same thing to our cockatiel...lol.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Could it be that she just wants to eat from his food bowl and doesn’t care what’s inside of it?
Yep that could be why. My budgie Winston only eats the pellet mix if they are in Oliver's cage but when I put them in his cage, he didn't eat for the whole day