• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies dropping

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Hey I have a quick question I’m not sure what to do.
So my budgie’s droppings have looked a bit weird for a while. They are coming out green color like normal but there seems like the urates coming out are making some kind of covering or casing around some of the poop and it makes it look like a lighter green/ grayish color on the outside and but when I pick it up the inside of it and other sides is normal green. The droppings still seem to be somewhat still watery too.
Last month she had a crop infection so the vet said that’s why her droppings might be watery but they are still some what watery still and the urates is still covering it. She has been on amphotericin b and probiotics and should be done with those next week. When I asked the vet a couple weeks ago that the droppings were still wet she said the probiotics should fix her GI track in a month or so and should be less watery. I’m thinking of going back to see if it could be something else causing her to still have watery droppings and urates covering it but I want to see if anyone else has had this experience before and what it was.

I found this post too about someone with a similar problem but I wasn’t able to get much out of it.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Bump

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have a budgie that just drinks a lot. Consequently he has wet poops much the same as you describe. But there's nothing wrong with him.
Keep her on the probiotics for a couple of weeks after the antifungal is finished for best effect.
The other thing is antibiotics and antifungals themselves give symptoms like this, you probably won't see any improvement until a couple of weeks after treatment has finished.
If you're still worried you really should go back to your vet with this. They may have missed something, after all everything in the crop will move down into the rest of the digestive tract taking fungi and bacteria with it.

Last edited:

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
I have a budgie that just drinks a lot. Consequently he has wet poops much the same as you describe. But there's nothing wrong with him.
Keep her on the probiotics for a couple of weeks after the antifungal is finished for best effect.
The other thing is antibiotics and antifungals themselves give symptoms like this, you probably won't see any improvement until a couple of weeks after treatment has finished.
If you're still worried you really should go back to your vet with this. They may have missed something, after all everything in the crop will move down into the rest of the digestive tract taking fungi and bacteria with it.
Thank you for your help. Do you think it could be something in the Kidney where I would have to do some blood test? I looked up the symptoms and I really don’t see anything the same other than the water from the poops and I read increase in urates could come from the kidneys or am I just worrying too much ?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You are right to think about it, but it's bad to Google for info. Given the previous diagnosis the vet would be likely to just do gram stain from a sample or swab. Nothing as invasive as a blood sample.
But hold out until the antifungal treatment for the crop has been over a few days - things may just sort themselves out again.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
You are right to think about it, but it's bad to Google for info. Given the previous diagnosis the vet would be likely to just do gram stain from a sample or swab. Nothing as invasive as a blood sample.
But hold out until the antifungal treatment for the crop has been over a few days - things may just sort themselves out again.
Oh ok thank you very much. Just for future knowledge how would I know of my bird does need a blood test check ? And could they find out if it’s a kidney problem from the gram test ?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A gram stain won't show kidney problems.
May I ask, other than the poops is there any reason why you're thinking kidney? How old is she?

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
She is almost 4 years old. I’m only worried about the kidney part because I see water from the poop and it seems like more urates than usual which is covering the green making part of it look grey.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Then stop worrying. The poops aren't the only symptom of kidney problems.
If there is a kidney problem the vet will find it so please trust them, they are the only people who would be able to help.
Let her finish the antifungal plus a few days for it to leave her system, continue the probiotics a few days longer and see where you are.
Antifungals and antibiotics can be really harsh on a budgie, I know they are on me.
Additional:
What colour are the urates and urine you are seeing?

Last edited:

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Can u take a picture of the "gre-ish" part? From what i understand it's like a very thin gray layer over it?

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Then stop worrying. The poops aren't the only symptom of kidney problems.
If there is a kidney problem the vet will find it so please trust them, they are the only people who would be able to help.
Let her finish the antifungal plus a few days for it to leave her system, continue the probiotics a few days longer and see where you are.
Antifungals and antibiotics can be really harsh on a budgie, I know they are on me.
Additional:
What colour are the urates and urine you are seeing?
The urine is clear but after it dries it has green ring around it but I think that’s the water taking the color out of the droppings. And the urates are white.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Can u take a picture of the "gre-ish" part? From what i understand it's like a very thin gray layer over it?
Yeah it is a thin layer of the white urate but it looks grey over the green poop. Yeah I might need a couple hours though to get a pic. I will update soon.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The urine is clear but after it dries it has green ring around it but I think that’s the water taking the color out of the droppings. And the urates are white.
Well, then I don't think this has anything to do with the kidneys.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Yeah it is a thin layer of the white urate but it looks grey over the green poop. Yeah I might need a couple hours though to get a pic. I will update soon.
Well for me that is not "normal". I would contact a vet. I don't know what it is but it sure don't seem very normal to me..

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The poops are likely down to the antifungal she's on. Of course feel free to consult a vet but it would be highly likely they'll just say the same as me - complete the course then wait until the meds have cleared her system.