• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie leg ring and DNA testing?

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
So, yet another question about my new budgies. One of them, the big English budgie male has a leg ring, which I hadn’t noticed before. he’s pretty fluffy, so I only noticed it now, but now I’m wondering if there is any information on the band I can read? Also, I was thinking about DNA testing my birds, does this reveal anything other than gender? Is it even worth it? The whole process is a bit confusing. Also, I was just wondering if the website DNA solutions is trustworthy? I have 6 birds, and the website has a minimum kit order amount of 10, so I can do all of them, can I save the tests for later? Or do they all have to be sent in at the same time. Also, what’s the easiest way to pluck some feathers? A few of my birds hate being handled, so it might be a bit difficult.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m wondering if there is any information on the band I can read?
Some bands in the US will have the breeder code on it so you can find out where they came from and contact them with the numbers on the band to find out hatch dates, parents, lineage etc.

I was thinking about DNA testing my birds, does this reveal anything other than gender?
If you do an online test, most are just DNA testing to know the gender.
At the vet they might test for diseases too.

I have 6 birds, and the website has a minimum kit order amount of 10, so I can do all of them, can I save the tests for later? Or do they all have to be sent in at the same time.
That is a question for that company directly. There´s usually contact info at the bottom of the webpage or a ¨contact¨ page.

A few of my birds hate being handled, so it might be a bit difficult.
The whole process is a bit confusing.
I would recommend you get it done at the vet. They will do it all for you and you won´t have to worry about getting the sample, handling the birds and having them dislike you, getting scammed, and other concerns.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Budgies can be visually sexed. Any reasons for going for a DNA test?
You could just post a clear pic of the cere and we can tell the gender for you.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So, yet another question about my new budgies. One of them, the big English budgie male has a leg ring, which I hadn’t noticed before. he’s pretty fluffy, so I only noticed it now, but now I’m wondering if there is any information on the band I can read?
There might be some useful information on the band. But, there are also generic bands that can be purchased off Amazon with a totally ramdomized sequence of numbers and letters which is totally useless.
If your bird has a customized band from the breeder, then there will (hopefully) be the initials of the breeder or aviary name, the year the bird was hatched, and the "chick number".

Also, I was thinking about DNA testing my birds, does this reveal anything other than gender? Is it even worth it?
There's no point in wasting your money on a DNA test. Budgies can easily be sexed by looking at the cere, and I doubt there are many genetic issues that they would be able to test for.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
DNA testing in birds is almost always for gender only. Not much point for budgies. They are easy to tell apart by appearance.