• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie Difficulty Breathing

Is he okay?

• Yes he will be fine!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No you need to do something at home!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go to the vet! (I don’t have any trusted vets)

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
Hi! I have been recently looking at my budgie. I get him out to play and he jumps on my shoulder. But one day I heard the tiniest squeaking noise that was heard each breath. Other symptoms were SLIGHT tail bobbing.His diet consists of Millets, And Healthy Select Seeds. And each Monday I give him a treat, that includes dried fruit, rice, etc. The next day I went to the vet to basically get scammed. They told me it was an emergency and he wouldn’t live another day. And said that it was form non stick pans, which my mom threw away a year ago. They gave him some oxygen for about 30 minutes. And since we didn’t have any good veterans near by my family decided to take care of him at home. So far he is either getting a little better or just stays the same. He isn’t worsening in my opinion. The treatments I give him is I just sprinkle him cage a little with chamomile tea to give out a fresh smell and since chamomile helps you relax, then he would be relaxed meaning that he would breathe better. And always at night I cover my birds up with a blanket, And my mom boils some chamomile tea and we put it at the bottom of his cage, for the fumes to go up and for him to inhale it for the rest of the night. He still can fly, he’s happy and energetic. Is there any better way to fix his slight difficult breathing at home? Please this is my best friend and I don’t want to loose him! A91DC014-22C9-4E18-9FB4-4C1C6123BC3B.jpeg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bump, bump, bump!

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
Hi! I have been recently looking at my budgie. I get him out to play and he jumps on my shoulder. But one day I heard the tiniest squeaking noise that was heard each breath. Other symptoms were SLIGHT tail bobbing.His diet consists of Millets, And Healthy Select Seeds. And each Monday I give him a treat, that includes dried fruit, rice, etc. The next day I went to the vet to basically get scammed. They told me it was an emergency and he wouldn’t live another day. And said that it was form non stick pans, which my mom threw away a year ago. They gave him some oxygen for about 30 minutes. And since we didn’t have any good veterans near by my family decided to take care of him at home. So far he is either getting a little better or just stays the same. He isn’t worsening in my opinion. The treatments I give him is I just sprinkle him cage a little with chamomile tea to give out a fresh smell and since chamomile helps you relax, then he would be relaxed meaning that he would breathe better. And always at night I cover my birds up with a blanket, And my mom boils some chamomile tea and we put it at the bottom of his cage, for the fumes to go up and for him to inhale it for the rest of the night. He still can fly, he’s happy and energetic. Is there any better way to fix his slight difficult breathing at home? Please this is my best friend and I don’t want to loose him!
A91DC014-22C9-4E18-9FB4-4C1C6123BC3B.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have merged these two threads, as they are identical, to contain all responses in one place.

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
I have merged these two threads, as they are identical, to contain all responses in one place.
Can you please tell me what to do? I’m really worried

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If your bird is sick then the only person who can actually help you to help him is the Avian vet.
The chamomile tea won’t be fixing anything. It may make him calm but it will not fix any illnesses.
Non stick (Teflon) is in so many household appliances not just cooking pans. It’s in many hair appliances, heaters, popcorn machines, coffee makers and other kitchen and heating appliances that it’s crazy. The problem could also be from any aerosol cans being used, fragrances in anything, candles, perfumes, deodorants- the list of dangerous household items is very long and teflon is just one of the main and obvious health hazards for our birds.

Please explain why you say the vet scammed you. In my experience this is not something they do but inexperienced pet owners often seem to think that vets have nothing better to do than try to steal money from them. There are many things vets need to do or check before saying “this is the exact problem“ in most cases.

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
The vet gave my bird oxygen for about an hour. Then they asked to keep the bird for a few days for it to be hospitalized. Which costed 2000 dollars to keep him there with an oxygen tank for 2 days. And I asked them what can I do at home, if they can write up any medications, and they wrote nothing. Can you please tell me anything I can do at home?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What country are you in?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You could start adding veg and sprouts as well as pellets into your birds diet as an all seed diet is not the best and causes many health issues.
Without actually knowing what is causing your birds symptoms, no one can help you and you can’t help your bird if it has any respiratory illnesses- only the vet can help with that as you will need to know what exactly is wrong and use appropriate treatments to treat for that specific illness.

I am a little surprised about the cost you say the vet wanted to charge for only putting your bird in oxygen. What kind of cost was the hour they had him in the oxygen chamber? Did they say why they needed /wanted him on oxygen for two days? Something just doesn’t sound right.

You really can’t treat or fix without knowing what’s wrong. Any attempt to medicate with home remedies may be a bad mistake if you don’t know a lot about birds - they are not the same as dogs and cats who are often easy to care for at home when they have a slight illness. Birds can be overdosed or severely harmed by many of the home remedies people use for humans and other pets.

Was the vet you saw an Avian vet or just a vet?

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
Just for the hour I payed 140$ and for the checkup. They put the Diagnosis as “Different Diagnosis” and they said it was Distressed respiration. If you’re wondering I went to BluePearl emergency care, which was a 30 minute drive back and forth. But can I do anything at home please? :sad8::cry::sad5:

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
You could start adding veg and sprouts as well as pellets into your birds diet as an all seed diet is not the best and causes many health issues.
Without actually knowing what is causing your birds symptoms, no one can help you and you can’t help your bird if it has any respiratory illnesses- only the vet can help with that as you will need to know what exactly is wrong and use appropriate treatments to treat for that specific illness.

I am a little surprised about the cost you say the vet wanted to charge for only putting your bird in oxygen. What kind of cost was the hour they had him in the oxygen chamber? Did they say why they needed /wanted him on oxygen for two days? Something just doesn’t sound right.

You really can’t treat or fix without knowing what’s wrong. Any attempt to medicate with home remedies may be a bad mistake if you don’t know a lot about birds - they are not the same as dogs and cats who are often easy to care for at home when they have a slight illness. Birds can be overdosed or severely harmed by many of the home remedies people use for humans and other pets.

Was the vet you saw an Avian vet or just a vet?
I’m pretty sure what caused it was that my mom lit a candle that smells nice by their cage for about an hour, can you tell me any medicine to fix candle poisoning?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Remove candle and forbid anyone from lighting it again. I'd put the bird(s) in travel cages and get them to fresh air outside. Open up the windows in the room where the candle was lit to vent out the smell.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Well then now we find our all the important information...... yes what you can do is throw out all candles!!
You are actually very lucky your bird is not dead.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You also need to do a tonne of research to find out how many things in your home are deadly to your bird and get rid of them all.