• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Breeding Help

Swabmob

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I have a few questions.
I'm ready to breed my first pair of budgies and I read did research and all of that but I have 2 budgies a male and female who are ready to breed but I also have a cockatiel who's been living in the same cage as them since they were independent. I have moved them to separate cages before but they've always had their own room and their cage doors were never closed. Do you think any thing would happen if I didn't move my cockatiel to a different cage?
Thanks

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Tiel would prolly get in a fight with the hen as budgies on nest can be territorial

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Yeah, it's be best to remove the tiel. You don't want bird fights.

Swabmob

Tiel would prolly get in a fight with the hen as budgies on nest can be territorial
Maybe...
But I moved my tiel to her old cage today for a few hours and my tiel and budgies started going crazy even though they were literally right across from each other untill I moved her back now they are sleeping happily. They cannot seem to live apart

Swabmob

Yeah, it's be best to remove the tiel. You don't want bird fights.
Do you think I can let them out of their cages in the same room while my budgies are breeding?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm ready to breed my first pair of budgies and I read did research and all of that
You're not ready to breed anything.

What happens when the parents don't know how (or won't) look after the babies?
What will you do with all these babies?
What will you do to stop them from breeding with each other once they mature?
What kind of brooder setup do you have (any good breeder would not think of doing it without one).
Where did you learn your hand feeding skills?
Will you be able to hand feed every 2 hours around the clock for weeks on end? (because if you have to step in, that's what's required).

Breeding is not a hobby. Playing golf is a hobby. This is life and death for these living breathing creatures. Please reconsider and focus your energies elsewhere.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Do you think I can let them out of their cages in the same room while my budgies are breeding?
... No. He needs his own cage or the Budgies will hurt him. You can keep his cage in the same room.

Swabmob

You're not ready to breed anything.

What happens when the parents don't know how (or won't) look after the babies?
What will you do with all these babies?
What will you do to stop them from breeding with each other once they mature?
What kind of brooder setup do you have (any good breeder would not think of doing it without one).
Where did you learn your hand feeding skills? Will you be able to hand feed every 2 hours around the clock for weeks on end? (because if you have to step in, that's what's required).

Breeding is not a hobby. Playing golf is a hobby. This is life and death for these living breathing creatures. Please reconsider and focus your energies elsewhere.
Do you think it's possible to use the nesting box just to keep them Warm? Our heating goes out very often and I did research just to know what to do if they did

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you think it's possible to use the nesting box just to keep them Warm? Our heating goes out very often and I did research just to know what to do if they did
Providing a nest box is going to stimulate reproductive and territorial activity. There are much better ways to keep birds warm. Heat lamps. Heat panels. Portable heaters. Hot water bottles. Covering the cage.

What do you guys do for yourself if the heat goes out all the time?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
There are loads of other options, too! You could make or buy them a cuddle buddy or a snuggle corner. They aren't huts and shouldn't encourage breeding.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Also, now that I think of it, putting a nest box in there might be a very bad idea. If they're not bonded or don't feel like breeding, your budgies could wind up fighting over the nest box and can severely hurt or even kill eachother, even if you remove or leave the tiel in their cage

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Noooooo nest box. Find another breeder to mentor or teach you. Why are you letting the birds breed when you have no idea what to do? Working with another breeder will give you knowledge and most importantly experience. What makes you ready, what makes your budgies ready? Have you conditioned them? How old are they?

Please read @JLcribber postings again.

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
There are multiple pairs of Budgies at my local rescue, and this is just one rescue we’re talking about. That doesn’t even include the many, many, many more out there with even more Budgies. Why do you want to breed? To get more birds? Just please tell us what you’re looking to accomplish through breeding. If you’re looking for more birds, you can adopt a bonded pair and rescue two lives. By breeding, you’re bringing even more birds in to the world that have a very good chance of ending up in a shelter. This world does not need any more homeless birds. And if I’m being honest, you do not sound very experienced, either. Breeding birds is not some type of hobby you do in your free time. It’s not something you do to make money. These are living, breathing, feeling beings we’re talking about. There are many things that can go wrong with breeding/raising the babies. Please visit a parrot rescue and take a look at all of the homeless birds looking for a second chance. These innocent birds are without a home simply just because someone decided they too were ready to breed their birds and brought some more in to this world. Why should these creatures have to suffer for simply just being brought in to this world by us humans? Well, they shouldn’t. I beg you to think about what will happen if you breed. Do you know a lot of good homes that can take your baby birds? Do you know how to properly hand feed and care for a baby bird in the event that the parents do not? Are you willing to take the parents to a vet before breeding, after breeding, and the babies also after they have bred? Just some things to think about.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe...
But I moved my tiel to her old cage today for a few hours and my tiel and budgies started going crazy even though they were literally right across from each other untill I moved her back now they are sleeping happily. They cannot seem to live apart
Then perhaps the budgies aren’t as ready to breed as you think? I have some canaries that moved in with my 2 cockatiels. The tiels didn’t mind so the canaries have stayed, but one of them is my canary hen. Her mate is in a different cage. Yesterday I was putting up finch nest boxes and the hen came out and flew around gathering bits of paper... saying “I’m ready”....but she did not go back into her cage with the tiels at any point. This tells me she would not want to breed in that same cage, even though they have all gotten along with no fighting.

Yes with supervision.

No - nest box is for breeding. I don’t know what temperature your home gets to. My birds can go down to 50 Fahrenheit without any ill effects. At about 45 they need extra heat. Is the inside of your home that cold?