• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bruised Beak, Is it a cause for concern

nyasupog

Moving in
Real Name
Tris
I woke up this morning and saw that my parakeet mingo had a red spot on their beak and I was wondering if he needed to be taken to the vet at all. They was very active and loud this morning but they’ve been sleeping and making quiet chirps for the past few hours so I’m a little concerned, it might just be me over worrying though. Anything helps!!

Attachments

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Beak bruises can also be a sign of liver problems, so it's probably best to get the bird checked out by a vet.

nyasupog

Moving in
Real Name
Tris
Just wanted to update this and say he got up and played and ate for a little bit but went right back to sleep

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Since she is very young it doesn’t seem like a liver problem bruise. Young budgies’ beaks get dark at the tip and eventually grow out. But since it wasn’t there before maybe it is a liver issue.

Someone else might know more than me on this .

nyasupog

Moving in
Real Name
Tris
Since she is very young it doesn’t seem like a liver problem bruise. Young budgies’ beaks get dark at the tip and eventually grow out. But since it wasn’t there before maybe it is a liver issue.

Someone else might know more than me on this .
do you think it could possibly be from flying into something it getting it stuck in a bell?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
do you think it could possibly be from flying into something it getting it stuck in a bell?
It is definitely possible. Did she fly into anything recently?

I’m not too sure because it could very easily be any of those things but I would keep an eye on it and also keep an eye out for beak overgrowth and bruising on the nails. Those are also signs of liver issues.

@Ripshod @Lori D Pert any insights on this?

nyasupog

Moving in
Real Name
Tris
It is definitely possible. Did she fly into anything recently?

I’m not too sure because it could very easily be any of those things but I would keep an eye on it and also keep an eye out for beak overgrowth and bruising on the nails. Those are also signs of liver issues.

@Ripshod @Lori D Pert any insights on this?
alright thank you, i’ll have to see how she’s doing tomorrow

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
The spot is red? It's hard to tell from the photo. It looks like a melanin spot but if it wasn't there before then, no. Does she have any toys that have red colouring in them? If there is no evidence of any injury I would just keep an eye out. Does she have a mineral block that is coloured? It looks like she rubbed her beak on something but it certainly doesn't look like an injury. I would still watch her for an sign of illness though.

nyasupog

Moving in
Real Name
Tris
The spot is red? It's hard to tell from the photo. It looks like a melanin spot but if it wasn't there before then, no. Does she have any toys that have red colouring in them? If there is no evidence of any injury I would just keep an eye out. Does she have a mineral block that is coloured? It looks like she rubbed her beak on something but it certainly doesn't look like an injury. I would still watch her for an sign of illness though.
yes the spot is red, and she does have a few colored toys but they haven’t left any spots or anything before. And yea i’ll definitely be keeping my eye out