• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boy is my story ever interesting….

Kimbirdly

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kimberly
Hello! I am a 26 year old birb mom to two wonderful (most of the time) birds. A little about myself is that I have pretty severe ADHD and possibly high-functioning autism as well. Having birds has been SO hard for me, but so very rewarding and has taught me a lot about myself. I work at a pet store just shy of full time, and I am a nanny to a two year old (human) as well. I have a 2 year old sun conure that my ex purchased, and I purchased her off him when we split. She won’t eat a single vegetable… but I’ve kindof figured out a work-around for that. I also have a 14 year old bare eyed cockatoo that’s had it a little rough over the years. She has never been abused or anything, but she is…. Special. She appears to have OCD and anxiety, but lately her vet and I are starting to think it’s something else. I will post about that another time though. In addition to my birds… I have two special needs cats as well (Loki-5. Hades-3). I know, I am insane. YES I have safeguarding measures in place at ALL times plus 6 months of rigorous training.

Growing up I had an obsession and determination to get an African grey. I dropped that obsession sometime in my early teens. Now in my mid 20’s, my ex got a bird that had passed shortly after he got her in an accident, and I got more on board. I work at a petstore and Theia came in, the sun conure. I bonded with her pretty well and convinced him to buy her. We broke up a short time later (no love lost. Abusive situation), and a friend lent me money to purchase her off of him (at an exponentially higher cost-.-).

I had zero intention of acquiring another bird as I had Theia, the sun conure, who has imbalanced nutrition due to picky eating, Hades, my cat with asthma, and Loki, my cat with SEVERE anxiety that almost killed him twice. Betty’s previous owner came in looking to surrender her on June 26th, 2022. There were noadequate places to bring her to in my town, but I was headed out of town in a month to a city that had a dedicated parrot rescue and the situation was urgent (wife developed severe allergy), so I offered to take her. I met Betty and I felt an instantaneous connection to her. She was mine on June 28th, 2022.
Betty had nearly plucked every single feather off her body and barbered whatever was left. Previous owners were super uneducated and had her on a TERRIBLE diet. I got her on a proper diet and the plucking stopped. The barbering had continued though. We theorized OCD because EVERY primary feather in her wing was trimmed to the exact same length within a fraction of an inch. I got several donuts over the last year, but she figured out unique ways to get each of them off. She is smart WELL beyond the average bird, and her Avian vet said she’s never met a bird like Betty. Now I/we are unsure about the OCD and that has brought me here. I will post about that another time as it is late, and I work tomorrow.

So sorry for the long winded post. Thanks SO much if you read through to this point. There’s so much more to share and talk about like my little company I’m starting for Parrot care and consultations. I never intentionally got into birds, it just kindof happened and it’s just so strange how I ended up where I am now.

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.
I enjoyed reading your introduction and it sounds like both of your feathered friends are thriving in your care.:)
Try not to give up on the vegetables, they might find one they like, which is a good starting point to introduce them to a more varied diet.
My cockatoo hadn't eaten many vegetables at her previous home, but curiosity got the better of her when she saw me eating them. Now she has veggies as well as a bit of seed and her pellets at mealtimes. Fruit is good for snacks ;)

Kimbirdly

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kimberly
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.
I enjoyed reading your introduction and it sounds like both of your feathered friends are thriving in your care.:)
Try not to give up on the vegetables, they might find one they like, which is a good starting point to introduce them to a more varied diet.
My cockatoo hadn't eaten many vegetables at her previous home, but curiosity got the better of her when she saw me eating them. Now she has veggies as well as a bit of seed and her pellets at mealtimes. Fruit is good for snacks ;)
it’s definitely the sun conure that won’t eat them. Betty is pretty good with her veggies, but not so much the fruits. The sun really likes ice… could not tell you why but she will try to get in the freezer to the ice cube tray. SOOOO i blend raw veggies with strong flavoured fruits that she likes (…. Not many ) and freeze them. In the mornings, she gets a frozen chunk of veg/fruit purée, and only a little bit of her pellets. That’s all she gets till I get home. 8/10 she will eat some of the purée even with pellets left. Other times she’ll eat all the pellets, then have to eat the purée. Disclaimer she gets enough food for sure. She’ll get more at the end of the day whether she eats the frozen stuff or not. I only starve her a little bit haha (jokes of course)!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue, Kimberly! 1.welcome signs.gif

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome to the avenue!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Thanks for giving Betty a good home!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Welcome

HabibiMom

Sitting on the front steps
Awe bless you and your little birdies. Welcome. I hope the feather plucking issue gets resolved. Was it possibly mites that triggered the plucking?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator