• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird safe metals for hooking toys to the cage

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I'm going by Lowes Hardware after work today and picking up some hooks to secure the toys to the cage. what metals should I request? I know nothing with zinc or lead.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Stainless steel is what I always get :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nickel plated or stainless steel are the ones you will find at the local shop that are safe. I prefer stainless steel also but NP is more budget friendly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use stainless steel.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
also have this question: I bought some cat toys from Target (little balls like forage toys and the like) but I didn't realise that there was a catnip baggy in the package. it was sealed but some of it was in and around the items. should I use it or throw them out or return it? I can take a picture of the stuff when I get back to work as I left it there until I leave for home.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Personally, I wouldn't use cat toys. I'd be afraid of injury to the bird.
You can also use zip ties to attach toys.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
SS or nickel plated and no to cat toys

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I got him stainless steel washers, wing nuts, and special hangers for toys. I'm going to give my friend the cat toys since she has a cat and I'll pick up even more toys when I go to the vet's office on Friday. I picked up about 4 perches and 3 toys today at work so he could have more stuff to do in his cage. he was too scared to sleep with all the new stuff in his new cage so I'll let him acclimate himself to it tomorrow while I'm at work. when his previous owners dropped him off at my home store he had like one toy in his cage. he's already spoiled rotten with all the perches and toys he has.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If he is scared of the new items in his cage, it is best to remove them and then try adding them back one at a time on his schedule. You can start acclimating him to them when he is outside of his cage, and then try to put one in the cage when he is fine with the item outside of his cage. He will probably adjust more easily to new perches than to new toys.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I let him choose to either go in this morning or not and he stepped off my finger to explore with the cage door open. now he's contentedly eating one of his treats on his new perch! he's an explorer and apparently very brave. he's looking really happy right now making a mess in his cage

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
definatley stainless steel, i wouldn't consider using anything else