• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird health update: Self harming and aggression

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Bit of a health update on Ms. Bailey, my African Grey and Danny, my Yellow-Sided Conure: We took Ms. Bailey to the vet for her foot-sores and it turns out they were self-inflicted. She turned out to be stressed because the eggs she laid weren’t hatching. I have since removed the cat-hut and infertile eggs from her cage.

She seems a lot happier now: She’s back to whistling songs and hanging upside-down from the ceiling. I have since given up on trying to find her a cage-mate since she seems to like having her cage to herself. She’s been prescribed Antibiotics for her feet which has been a fun, two-woman job, lol and she’s also having laser-treatment done on the sores. Her feet are starting to look a lot better, I haven’t seen any new sores pop up but she has started plucking again. I could really use some advice on this.

Danny: Danny has been taken to the vet for a check-up to make sure her aggression and chattering weren’t caused by any medical issues. Thankfully, she’s healthy. The vet confirmed that her chattering was actually her attempting to talk. I can’t make out what she’s trying to say but I’m hoping when I can understand her, it will help shed some light on why she’s feeling so angry.

I know Danny has been through some past trauma even though the vet insists that some birds are just naturally aggressive. It seems like her aggression has been getting worse lately and I’m not sure what is making her so upset. I could really use some psychological advice on both of these issues. How do I make Danny feel more comfortable in her own home and how do I get Ms. Bailey to stop hurting herself?

Too bad there’s no Bird Whisperer because I could really use one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad Bailey's feet are doing better. It's hard to figure out sometimes what to do. Have you tried foraging toys? Some birds take to them. Some don't. But keeping a bird busy and mentally stimulated is usually helpful. Our vendors on here sell a lot of great toys. Also, how much out of the cage time to they get? Do they get along at all?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I am glad Bailey's feet are doing better. It's hard to figure out sometimes what to do. Have you tried foraging toys? Some birds take to them. Some don't. But keeping a bird busy and mentally stimulated is usually helpful. Our vendors on here sell a lot of great toys. Also, how much out of the cage time to they get? Do they get along at all?
No but I will get some for her and give it a try. I let Ms. Bailey out regularly when I’m home to supervise her. She’s usually in and out of her cage most of the day. Danny and Shades both stay in their cage because they always attack me when I let them out. When I say they attack, it’s like Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds and Danny always goes for my throat for some reason.