• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Cockatiel Pellets?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
I was thinking on switching my 4 month old cockatiel, Mika, from his seed diet to a pellet diet. I've looked into some different brands of pellets but I'm still not for sure which one to get.. I feel like the seeds are a little too fatty for him, so far he won't really eat any other fruits or veggies which I'm hoping the pellets can help with, though also with his wings clipped he doesn't get enough exercise in my opinion. Hoping that the pellets will improve his diet!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The one he will eat :)

Some suggestions:

Zupreem Natural
Roudybush Maintenance
Harrison's Fine
Caitec Ovenfresh Bites
Hagen Tropican
Higgins inTune

Please note that Goldenfeast Goldn'obles and TOPS are not complete diets as they do not contain all of the necessary nutrients that the others do.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tiels do need some seed. Mine get Roudybush and TOPS with a little bit of Caitech Oven Fresh.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with Moncia. Cockatiels are granivores. So I believe they need seed in their diet. An all pellet diet can be too hard of their kidneys. Keep trying with the fresh foods. And tiels don't really eat fruit. So I would concentrate of vegetables. Try some chopped up raw broccoli, cooked sweet potato, some leafy greens, etc. : )

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
I second agreeing with the above. Either of them alone can cause problems so 50/50 is deal along with fresh foods and veggies. I used to have Baby on seeds for the first 10 years, switched over to pellets and then finally a combination of good quality seed and pellets, with fresh foods, millet, and now a few veggies with grains. Some may recommend a certain brand but it's really the one they like and it doesn't hurt to "try" out samples.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Wow, this was a very informative thread!

My little Lychee is on Zupreem Naturals right now and loves them! I’ll have to add some seeds too, sometimes he gets safflower seeds.... we’re still working on the veggies.

If anyone has a chop “recipe” for Cockatiels I would LOVE to see it!!