• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple Cider Vinegar?

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Hi, I recently read that a few drops of apple cider vinegar in my cockatiel's water bowl and in her chop can help reduce bacterial growth and can provide her nutrients. Is this true and safe? Any comments on how much I shld give my 8month cockatiel if it's safe and healthy to do so?
Thanks in advance

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t put it on chop, because I’m afraid it’ll change the taste and they won’t eat it.

I put it in water 1x per week, 10 ml to a liter. You can also do a whole week out of the month.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely do you have any experience with ACV cuz i'm curious too

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't really use it but I've not seen any reason you really can't. As long as the bird still drinks that should be fine

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
My budgie had a yeast infection. The vet told me ACV was a good preventative to use, 3 drops in 100 ml water. I make it fresh everytime I use it. Others make a batch and store it in the frig. I haven't read much here about using it for cockatiels but a few budgie owners use it. @Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes i made quart sizes of the mix for budgies to he!p with AGY and later for prophylactic purposes. Gave it in water dish one week a month and the budgies never acted as if they disliked the taste. For english budgies that weighed about 45 to.54 grams 2 tsp.per quart.