• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An intriguing (depressing?) discovery re: Kamara

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh how funny that you did keep dressing up! Though I admit I would have done the same to get that kind of reaction. I am so happy for you both! :pinklol3:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another Kamara update! :bliss:

It's been a whole 73 days since Miss Mara first flipped her nut in excitement over a $5 Hallowe'en wig and a not-so-great Irish accent, and since her sudden development into a moderately friendlier and more relaxed fid, she's still coming along in leaps and bounds! Her previously high-alert wariness of me has dwindled down to almost nothing, and she is comfortable enough to preen, play and even sleep in my presence, even when she's alone in a room with me without her flock nearby.

There are some things, like blankets, that still send her into a hysteric frenzy of panic, and I'm doing my very best to slowly and gradually demonstrate to her that they're safe. I haven't pushed my luck where hands are concerned, and I'm never going to; if ever she steps up, it will be on her terms and at her pace. Just considering how far she's come in such a short while, I'm more than content! She's amazing!

I honestly couldn't imagine a happier outcome than this. Kamara has been through things I can't even imagine, and has still decided to trust me. That's a treasure I can never put into words. :cloud9:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Following the leaps and bounds of progress that Kamara has shown in the past months, I think I may officially able to say that I think Kamara may actually...like me?

Every time I go into her room she greets me in my own voice with a sweet little "hey Kamara" (lol), and she loves imitating sounds and having me imitate them back to her; we can go on for hours just making the most bizarre noises back and forth.

She still lunges at my hands if they get too close while hanging toys/refilling bowls/what have you, but she never actually bites me. It's all bluff, and she's happy as a clam once I take them out of her space, unlike months ago when a single misstep would have her grousing and snarking for the rest of the day.

She's turned from angry pinecone to serenading lovebug, and I'm on top of the world!

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Way to go!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:yah: Congratulations to both of you for working together so well.

I am so so happy for you both that there have been such positive changes.

Well done :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I just read your story. Do you have any photos? Would love to see her. I too have a scared Grey, Paco, I do know some of his past. We have been together wow almost 7 months. We have a ways to go but he has really settled in. I"m so happy for your progress with your lady!

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Time to dress like a pirate again.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just read your story. Do you have any photos? Would love to see her. I too have a scared Grey, Paco, I do know some of his past. We have been together wow almost 7 months. We have a ways to go but he has really settled in. I"m so happy for your progress with your lady!
My sweetie girl :swoon:

mara1 copy.jpg mara2.jpg mara3.jpg mara4.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh Kamara :heart::heart::heart: what a beautiful brave good girl you are!!!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She's beautiful! :heart:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
More news on one of the bravest birds in the world! Kamara has started to actively approach me!

Oftentimes nowadays Mars will come over to accept a treat from my hand, and increasingly has felt safe enough to immediately start eating whatever I've given her without first retreating a safe distance away from me. That in and of itself is overwhelmingly amazing, but over the past few days she's become even more brave...she comes right up to me when she's on her cage top or playstand, mere inches from my face, for no reason than to interact. She talks with me, dances with me, and doesn't even flinch away if I have to lift a hand to my face, which puts it directly beside her. That's insane!

And to make an outstanding update even more incredible, she's even walked towards me while I'm sitting on the ground!
Kamara loves wandering around on the floor and foraging for goodies she's thrown out of her dishes, but it's an activity that's kept to when I'm not in the room. I wouldn't feel safe traipsing around with a colossal giant twenty times my size in the room either, so that's never bothered me, and I always make sure she knows I'm coming into the room and has time to get to higher ground.
The other day, though, I was sitting in the Old World room, making some toys and just hanging out while Mara and Kraz ate, when she suddenly climbed down the side of her cage and onto the floor. She eyed me a bit, so I purposefully just carried on with what I was doing and pretended not to notice her. She took a few tentative steps toward me, stared at me, then walked straight up and started pushing around a bead that was a mere inch away from my leg. I looked down at her, smiled, said "hello Kamara", and she popped out a merry whistle and kept playing with her bead. A few minutes later I had to shift my foot because it fell asleep, and while she did give it a reproachful glare she didn't seem afraid, and once she got bored of her impromptu toy she meandered back to her cage.
And today, while I was sitting in my chair in the room, she once again scurried down the floor and came over to me, this time perching on my foot and standing there while she preened, not showing off the slightest degree of trepidation.

There are no words for how proud I am! :swoon:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was a wonderful outcome & a nice story. It shows how time & persistence are our friends when it comes to a new fid joining the flock!

:congratsbig:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yeah Kamara!! :ygg:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is precious! :swoon:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Time and patience pays off! Paco is eating better, more vocal and we are spending more time together. I nearly scared him off his cage while walking by with a new object. Must remind myself he is still a scardy cat. So happy for you and the progress you have made.