• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Always having pin feathers?

music2music

Meeting neighbors
My parakeet has always seemed to have at least a few pin feathers on his head since the first time he molted. Are these just stubborn and not falling out or is it because he doesn't like me rubbing his face and helping them come off? Or maybe it's because he hasn't cared for the fruits or veggies we have given him in the past and need to try to impliment them again?

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Pin feathers on the head are hard for him to preen (for obvious reasons ) haha
Does he like taking baths? That might help him soften the pinnies a bit

music2music

Meeting neighbors
He loves baths! I have given him 2 at the beginning of the week because of the poop on his vent, and it seemed to work a little.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My Murphy is Mr. Pin head. He has them constntly. So bad that he rubs his head on perches until the skin is raw and bleeding. At times I have to hold him and clean those pin feathers. I have put aloe on the skin to help with itching. He is very mad at me when I do this.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They are there because he can't reach them to preen them (and pull the feather sheath off). Baths might help. If he lets you, try scratching his head gently, if that scares him, let him be. They won't do him any harm besides possibly being a bit itchy, and they don't indicate any kind of problem.
One thing you might try is offering him a natural branch perch, preferably something with some small side branches. Mine have always loved those for scratching their heads on. Large perches aren't great for scratching.. those little side branches are great for getting in there.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Had to clean the head of Murphy today. It looked like snow falling when I was working with the head pinnies. I am ever so gentle but he hates it. Gave him a nice warm spritz afterwards. The clean head will last about 2 weeks then it needs to be done again. Mickey never has had this problem. Wish I know why his head gets like this. @Hankmacaw any ideas? Murphy is in a constant state of head molt. The rest of his body is OK.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
A few baths or trying to help them off should work. :) Also.. don’t ever give up on veggies. Don’t stop feeding them, because the more exposure the more he will eat. There are some good threads on how to get birds to eat veggies, you should check them out ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper is a constant molter. She rarely has more than a week between molts, but she is healthy (per Dr. Driggers). She does seem to molt more around her head and neck, but also less often molts the rest of her body. If you don't see any signs of skin irritation or bugs, he's probably ok.

The one thing I can recommend is that you give him either RPO or Flax Seed Oil regularly. And give him showers/bathes as often as he will put up with them.