• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air cleaners - purchasing

Bonnetbird

Meeting neighbors
Hey bird friends two questions

1. Planning to buy a Rabbit Air air purifier - I live in a studio and don’t have that much space - do you think the extra “pet dander” filter in the more expensive models is necessary ?

2. Looking for a new cage for my macaw - went to the page that had cage manufacturers and saw that it was a list from 2010 and that most of the companies had outsourced to China - are there any new or reputable cage manufactuers out there ?

Thank you so much ❤❤ Annie and Bonnet

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Both good questions. I'm curious, too. Our A&E took forever to arrive from China. We ordered in February and got it in July; it was delayed twice. :meh:

Last edited:

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Animal Environments
Expandable Habitats
Bennett’s Cages

They are all USA made and expensive. Expandable habitats has the most reasonable price tag of the three. But I think these might be overkill because they’re made mainly to keep a Hyacinth from destroying the cage. But Animal Environments has different models

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Animal Environments
Expandable Habitats
Bennett’s Cages

They are all USA made
You're right. I looked them up A and E's site and it says their cages are made in New Jersey. The man I talked to on the phone from where I ordered ours had told us that part of the reason it was taking so long was there was a delay with the container ship and another time he said overseas. Maybe the factory was waiting on parts or materials or maybe the gentleman was misinformed.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love rabbit air. Best purchase I ever made.

@Macawnutz any idea about her filter question?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You're right. I looked them up A and E's site and it says their cages are made in New Jersey. The man I talked to on the phone from where I ordered ours had told us that part of the reason it was taking so long was there was a delay with the container ship and another time he said overseas. Maybe the factory was waiting on parts or materials or maybe the gentleman was misinformed.

A&E cages are from China... Same factory as HQ and Kings in fact. ;)
I buy centurion walk in cages. Again same factory in China but I can give them lots of space fro that money.

I love rabbit air. Best purchase I ever made.

@Macawnutz any idea about her filter question?

The "special filters" you get to choose do not change any of the specifications on the unit. :laugh: They are a marketing ploy. If the pet dander filter was better than say the odor eliminating filter they would have to give you the specs on it. It's the third filter in line... by that point nothing hits it anyway. :D Buy whatever makes you feel good. :hilarious: That;s the point of it anyway.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A&E cages are from China... Same factory as HQ and Kings in fact.
The same factory no less? Now that's something. :hehe:

Ever since you mentioned your centurions, I've been dreaming of one for Buzz. After you mentioned you can usually get a better deal if you see the guy at a bird fair that itch has gotten worse. I need a house asap so Buzzy can have his palace!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The same factory no less? Now that's something. :hehe:

Ever since you mentioned your centurions, I've been dreaming of one for Buzz. After you mentioned you can usually get a better deal if you see the guy at a bird fair that itch has gotten worse. I need a house asap so Buzzy can have his palace!

He does good deals if you order more than one too. :D I'm a hoarder. I have two of them in boxes in my basement unopened. :laugh:

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I was looking at them last summer during the wildfires. Our house is tiny so wall mounted and customizable seemed like really good ideas. They come with "true HEPA filters" already which remove all types of pet dander so an extra pet dander filter seemed superfluous to me. I'd email them to ask what makes the extra filter necessary/desirable if your heart is set on getting one.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was looking at them last summer during the wildfires. Our house is tiny so wall mounted and customizable seemed like really good ideas. They come with "true HEPA filters" already which remove all types of pet dander so an extra pet dander filter seemed superfluous to me. I'd email them to ask what makes the extra filter necessary/desirable if your heart is set on getting one.

They come with the extra filter, you just choose one and go with it. ;)

Bonnetbird

Meeting neighbors
Both good questions. I'm curious, too. Our A&E took forever to arrive from China. We ordered in February and got it in July; it was delayed twice. :meh:

Reading about lead levels was scary. I also can’t afford to get one of the custom builds (and honestly don’t have the space for one). I just want a safe cage for my bird!
They come with the extra filter, you just choose one and go with it. ;)

Thanks you guys! We actually called them last night and talked on the phone - the third filter didn’t seem like it made that much of a difference. I will probably just go with the cheaper one then because I live in a studio. A factory that heats giant rolls of plastic wrap to wrap objects for shipping pumps it’s fumes in to the courtyard of my building. It is the only window I have - so I don’t often open it because I worry that it could be incredibly harmful for Bonnet.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are purchasing a Rabbit air purifier they generally have sales around Black Friday but don't know if you want to wait. Which model are you considering?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A factory that heats giant rolls of plastic wrap to wrap objects for shipping pumps it’s fumes in to the courtyard of my building. It is the only window I have - so I don’t often open it because I worry that it could be incredibly harmful for Bonnet.
That's so scary. :jawdrop1: That can't be safe for you, Bonnet, or any of your neighbors! I can't believe that's legal for them to do. I hope none of it is seeping in through vents or around the window or any other way. :sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OK/...maybe this needs a new thread but I just got a donated guardian air filter...its hepa & I'm playing with it as a spare but it has a UV-C light inside you can turn on if you want to zap germs & such. Would UV-C inside a air filter be harmful to birds? They are not actually seeing it or passing thru it????

Oh it looks like this..

Amazon.com: GermGuardian AC4825 22” 3-in-1 Full Room Air Purifier, True HEPA Filter, UVC Sanitizer, Home Air Cleaner Traps Allergens, Smoke, Odors, Mold, Dust, Germs, Smokers, Pet Dander,Energy Star Germ Guardian: Home & Kitchen
Thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that you got a free air purifier. I usually leave the UV function off on my purifiers that have that option.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have 2 austins so don;t need it but hey it was free!!!! LOL

I put it on for a few hours. I might do that in the bedroom to zap a few microbes! Still if they go thru the filter they will die anyway eventually why do you need the UV-C??? Its not like it will kill anything the light does not penetrate...right???? Unless these pathogens are smaller than 3 microns!!!!

DUH!!! & I wanted to be a vet!!! Virus are much smaller than 3 microns :dance4:

Hmmmm

Well a few hours every once in a while of the germ guardian & it can't hurt. Ozone used to be used for that as it killed mold & things but its harmful to people & the environment...

Cooolllll I have a UV-C now

BUMMER

Butt virus are not generally airborne its more of a contact thing!

:bash:

Still seems like there are benefits...(Still some say it can creat ozone)

How is UV Light Used In Air Purification?

Caveat...they sell uv-c air cleaners so are not impartial...

Hmmm could put it in the bathroom...

Last edited: