• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AGY treatment

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
So my male budgie became sick about four months ago he always had poop stuck to his vent so I took him to vet and the doctor said he has infection and gave him gentamicin and another antibiotic which I don't remember it's name after some time using the medicine my became healthy again and was fine until recently. About a week or two ago I saw him throwing up whole seeds at morning and after that whole seeds started to appear in his poop and now he is very inactive. Because of the lockdowns I can't find any avian vet to visit so I'm trying to find a cure myself i tried giving him the same antibiotic he was taking before but I saw no result so I concluded It's a fungi type infection so I have stopped giving it to him for now. After doing some researches on the internet i think he has AGY (Avian Gastric Yeast) I tried to find Amphotericin b but every pharmacy has the injectable type so I don't know what to do now for one of the pharmacist said I should give him Nystatin I can find that easily but I'm not sure about that.
Does anyone know what should I do? I have become very desperate but I don't know what I should do
My male budgie Luke is supposed to be tested for a few things including AGY and when I asked my vet about it he said it needs a very specific and aggressive treatment. It certainly does sound like Your bird has AGY And I highly recommend you find any vet at this point that would take him because he sounds very sick. If you can in the meantime pay for an online service like “Just Answer” where it is $5 for a week trial to speak with a certified vet. They might be able to give you some pointers to help him until you find a vet for your bird!
Let me know how it goes

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It certainly does sound like Your bird has AGY And I highly recommend you find any vet at this point that would take him because he sounds very sick. If you can in the meantime pay for an online service like “Just Answer” where it is $5 for a week trial to speak with a certified vet. T
Timi was able to visit a vet and they have diagnosed the bird:

I just got back from the vet and guess what? It really was a type of fungus after all, he said that after examining the droppings under a microscope. when I asked if it could be AGY he said it's highly unlikely and it's probably due to the antibiotics he has taken. ُHis prescription is 12 drop of nystatin and also 16 drop of 125.amoxicillin in every 40 mlg of water for a week.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Thanks I understand.
Ok so I just got back from the vet and guess what? It really was a type of fungus after all, he said that after examining the droppings under a microscope. when I asked if it could be AGY he said it's highly unlikely and it's probably due to the antibiotics he has taken. ُHis prescription is 12 drop of nystatin and also 16 drop of 125.amoxicillin in every 40 mlg of water for a week.
I also bought a pack of mixed from there which. This is unrelated to this topic but I have read every where that that budgies' most favorite food is millet right? But both of my budgies will go crazy over wheat. have you experienced this?
Oh wait I just saw this. From what I know when they have seeds in their poop it’s a clear sign they have it. I’ve never actually experienced AGY with any of my birds so it could possible be from the medication. I’m glad you found a vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Actually, @CGrillo, undigested food in their poop can be caused by many things other than AGY. A clostridium infection in the digestive tract, excess antibiotics/fungicides killing all of the natural digestive flora, lack of blood circulation to the digestive tract, PDD and AGY to name a few.

That's why we need veterinarians and medical tests so much. .

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Actually, @CGrillo, undigested food in their poop can be caused by many things other than AGY. A clostridium infection in the digestive tract, excess antibiotics/fungicides killing all of the natural digestive flora, lack of blood circulation to the digestive tract, PDD and AGY to name a few.

That's why we need veterinarians and medical tests so much. .
Good to know!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In what form are you feeding wheat? If by chance it is from a bin where the grains are kept in the open I would not buy because any form of critter can get into the bin, tiny or larger like mice or rats. 45gm. is a good weight for a male budgie, especially one that is not well. The ACV will still help regulate the gut as with the mother in the vinegar it acts as a pre and pro biotic. However if you are giving the medication mixed in drinking water wait until that is finished before the vinegar water.

I actually bought some Goli brand ACV in gummie form to help my gut as it is still not right after my surgery last April. I have High hopes for them.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Hope it all works out! Millet is only a treat used for training. Do not offer it in the cage for free eating.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
In what form are you feeding wheat? If by chance it is from a bin where the grains are kept in the open I would not buy because any form of critter can get into the bin, tiny or larger like mice or rats.
I soak them over night to make it softer. They do keep them in a bin where i by them but I keep it in a closed jar for 4 or 5 months and I also wash them thoroughly many times before giving it to them.
I actually bought some Goli brand ACV in gummie form to help my gut as it is still not right after my surgery last April. I have High hopes for them.
Hope you get well soon.
Hope it all works out! Millet is only a treat used for training. Do not offer it in the cage for free eating.
Thanks this was one of biggest concerns for a long time before I gave up.
I couldn't find a single type of seed or grain which is easy to use and like millet you don't have to process it in any way.
By the way Here is a photo of them at the vet. (This is their transportation cage) 20201129_145920.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you make your budgies any toys?

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Sorry for taking so long to replay I was very busy.
Do you make your budgies any toys?
Yes, I do whenever if find something suitable. Currently they have a mirror, one jiggly ball, some ropes and many perches they are also free all the time during the day.
So here is what has happened after two days of medication:
Monday morning I mixed the medicines with their water and luckily despite smelling awful they really liked it.
After he seemed to be getting better but at night when they were getting ready to go to sleep he started pooping only seed, after I woke up at morning I saw that most of his droppings were only seeds so I add the medicines to their water again but most of his dropping were still only seeds so at around 3 pm I thought maybe because he has taken so much antibiotics recently his digestive system has been weakened so I changed their water and then I only added nystatin which is the antifungal one almost two hours after doing this I saw that there wasn't any seed in his droppings. Right now it's it's 11 pm and they are sleeping there isn't any seed in his dropping but they are enormous, light green and also a little watery (which maybe because he is drinking a lot) is this something I should be worried about?
I'm planning to add smaller dose of antibiotic and then gradually increase it.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Are you consulting with your avian vet on the updates and changes you are making?
I didn't have the time but I will try to call tomorrow unfortunately he is only available from 2 to 5 pm.
But at least he is digesting it alright.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
I think something is very wrong here.
From the day I started giving the medicines i noticed that the droppings are only seeds every day from 9 am to 4 pm after that gradually the number of undigested seeds decreases until there is none then the process repeats again the next day. He wasn't like this before taking the medicine.
I called the vet and the doctor said that only three days out of seven days of treatment has passed and the medicine has not taken effect yet it's not concerning. But what is think is that medicine has taken effect and not in a good way at all.
So I was thinking of taking him to the vet again tomorrow. Do you think I should? or it normal? I mean tomorrow is the fourth day of medication so shouldn't he be improving if the medicine is effective?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What is the medication?

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
I asked if it could be AGY he said it's highly unlikely and it's probably due to the antibiotics he has taken. ُHis prescription is 12 drop of nystatin and also 16 drop of 125.amoxicillin in every 40 mlg of water for a week.
I have wrote it here in detail it is nystatin and amoxicilin.

timi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mohammad Taha Teimuri
Can I give him peanut butter? because basically he isn't digesting any food 8 hours a day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Peanut butter is not the easiest thing to digest.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pellets, rice, banana, applesauce, egg whites (cooked), sweet potatoes (cooked), oatmeal, white bread.