• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A List of Breeders and Band Numbers

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That is what I had assumed to.... But correct me if I'm wrong is the American Cockatiel Society only register cockatiels?

Because if so that can't be it, as it's a Green Cheek Conure. Probably should have said that in my first post.

See pictures.
American Conure Society? Just kidding as don't know if there is one.

That is an unusual band

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
American Conure Society? Just kidding as don't know if there is one.

That is an unusual band
Yeah just my luck. I had a budgie I had gotten from petsmart and I couldn't find any of it's band info online. But it's band also had a split in it so that it was easy to just pull apart and take off or put back on.

Now I've got a yellow sided green cheek conure with a band I also can't find info on.

I did give him a peanut tonight so he would stand on the foot with the bank and hold it with the other so I could get a few close ups if his band to show you guys. Because it's not a super bright red more of a dark or maroon red. It doesn't show all the letters and numbers it was more to give you an idea of color.

20210206_231034.jpg 20210206_231010.jpg 20210206_230906.jpg

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I checked on your first band code of TPP 19 936 ACS nothing shows up in my registry but if it is American Cockatiel Society, then they probably wouldn't be submitting their leg band codes to my registry.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bird is a conure so not A Cockatiel Society. TPP 19 936 ACS

Odd TPP & ACS & 19 is sideways. I imagine it was hard to fit all that on a GCC legband.

It would make sense if you are going to band a bird to register it somewhere.

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
Did you try search on my Leg Band Registry? Just enter the letters, no numbers. Typically, initials and two letters for the state.
Nope I didn't know any such thing existed, I've done many, many, many google searches trying to find some registry to search, but it also doesn't help that I don't know what state my bird was born/raised in.

Bird is a conure so not A Cockatiel Society. TPP 19 936 ACS

Odd TPP & ACS & 19 is sideways. I imagine it was hard to fit all that on a GCC legband.

It would make sense if you are going to band a bird to register it somewhere.
I missed a number.... But if you were to hold the band between your fingers in a horizontal patter it would read like this "ACS" which is Veritcal.

Then "TPP" which is horizontal or parallel to how you would be holding the band.

Then "19" which is vertical to the band, like the letters ACS is.

Then the numbers "1936" which are horizontal or parallel to the way you would be holding the band.

I previously missed the "1" in the number sequence before because the white coloring inside it is worn away, and there is only the indentation which I was only able to see just now while standing in the kitchen making me something to eat, and having all the overhead lights on full.

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
I remembered the lady I adopted my bird from telling me in an email about where she bought it from, not the breeders name, just the store.

So I found the store on Facebook, and sent them a message and they do not have any records from 2019, to tell me any information about my bird at all. They said they don't keep any re odds really, they send it all with the new owner, as it's their responsibility to keep track of it, and is only useful to them. Also that if they kept records for every bird sold in the last 20+years of business they would be over run with paperwork. Which I call bullcrap because computers exist, it wouldn't be hard to keep a digital record that you can search and print off, or even type to someone who adopts a bird from someone else.

I'm really starting to wonder what good these stupid bands are, since they don't provide any identification, there is no where online to actually search for information based off the band number, no one keeps any information, and if the previous owner looses or doesn't keep the original records, then no records exist anymore. So if anything it's seems more like these bands are something to annoy, and possibly kill the bird more than they are for any other purpose.

I guess I'm going to buy one of those removal tools, and the next time someone comes over have them hold him while I clip the band off him, because I can see where it's been rubbing against his foot.

Since it serves absolutely no purpose of any kind, not even as an identification tag, there isn't any reason to keep it on him at all.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@LostStoner there was more information 5 years ago online than there is now.... there's been at least 3 leg band registries, two since shut down. There was a Yahoo leg band group. Yahoo shut down their groups. Avian Biotech had a breeders registry. That's also gone. So a lot of the information that HAD been gathered is slowly disappearing.

They *DO* serve to ID a bird as long as the band isn't removed. You can also have a vet remove the band for you and if there's any accidents, they are already at the vets!

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
@LostStonerThey *DO* serve to ID a bird as long as the band isn't removed. You can also have a vet remove the band for you and if there's any accidents, they are already at the vets!
Unfortunately I'm not seeing how leg bands serve to ID a bird at all if the band maker, in this case The American Cockatiel Society hasn't kept any information about the bird attached to the leg band they have issued. The pet shop where the bird was sold hasn't kept any information about the bird they sold, and there is no registry online anywhere to search either.

If my bird was to fly away today, and someone was to find it, they wouldn't be able to get any information from the band to tell them who to contact except the ACS, which has no information, or where the bird came from, breeder, state, or otherwise, or who the bird belongs to either.

They would be able to find absolutely any information about the owner of the bird they just found to try to get it back to it's owner.

That is the entire purpose of these bands, and the very reason they have been designed for, to give a bird an ID number, in order to be able to search for and find information about the bird, and it's owner in the event it is lost.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The band is primarily for the breeder. After that, it doesn't really matter. However....

I will tell you when I lost my green cheek and said her band started with ALOHA in the lost ads, that did help. People could look at the band of the birds they found and immediately know whether they needed to contact me or not. I had a few ALOHAs cross my path, but never my baby.

I also know from my Jardine's band that he was born in 1999 here in Michigan.

Your bird also needs a band or microchip to cross into other countries. For smaller birds that may be ineligible for microchips, bands do serve a purpose.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately I'm not seeing how leg bands serve to ID a bird at all if the band maker, in this case The American Cockatiel Society hasn't kept any information about the bird attached to the leg band they have issued. The pet shop where the bird was sold hasn't kept any information about the bird they sold, and there is no registry online anywhere to search either.

If my bird was to fly away today, and someone was to find it, they wouldn't be able to get any information from the band to tell them who to contact except the ACS, which has no information, or where the bird came from, breeder, state, or otherwise, or who the bird belongs to either.

They would be able to find absolutely any information about the owner of the bird they just found to try to get it back to it's owner.

That is the entire purpose of these bands, and the very reason they have been designed for, to give a bird an ID number, in order to be able to search for and find information about the bird, and it's owner in the event it is lost.
You can also (pretty much) guarantee, your bird flies out the window, it's gone forever! There is a small chance it'll be found & the chip can get it back to you but it's pretty small (I think, I either: read or my vet said 5-10%) of the time....

Also, there are certain times a band can help. I believe (specifically USA) but could be wrong, @Monica legal proof (when the powers to be, check w/ your vet) that it IS actually your bird, when crossing into states or driving thru states where certain parrots it's illegal to own.... Sorry @LostStoner , I have a migraine & & underlying condition & my brain isn't focused @ the moment enough.

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
The band is primarily for the breeder. After that, it doesn't really matter.
Your bird also needs a band or microchip to cross into other countries. For smaller birds that may be ineligible for microchips, bands do serve a purpose.
Yeah pretty much my point they are useless except in helping a breeder to tell similar colored baby birds apart from another, especially ones that DNA sex their birds, and a customer wants a specific sex.

I would think that Green cheek conures are a bit to small for a microchip. Plus I don't have any plans of ever leaving the country, as I don't possess the ammount of money required for an exotic/foreign vacation or trip.

There is a small about 5-10% chance it'll be found & the chip can get it back to you.
While I do agree a chip would help get a bird back to you, because the chip can be scanned, which is programed with your information in order to get the bird back to you.

However, a band does not fulfill the same roll as a chip, because it doesn't have any imbedded information about you, and as we've already discussed there is virtually no where to even look up the band numbers to get information about the bird the band is attached to, or the birds owners either. So anyone who finds the bird would be in exactly the same place I am now, unable to find any information about the bird, who the breeder was, where it was bred, it's current or previous owners names, nothing.

Also on that note my bird is a green cheek conure, which I believe is far to small for a chip, and even if there was a chip small enough to not hurt my bird, I probably wouldn't put it in my bird anyway.

Also, there are certain times a band can help. I believe when being checked by a vet to verify that it IS actually your bird, when crossing into states or driving thru states where certain parrots are illegal to own.
I do live in the United States, and it is my understanding that in other countries this is less of an issue as some do have centralized databases where a birds leg band can be typed in, and information about the bird, and it's owner can be found.

However here in the United States no such thing exists. Someone previously linked to a database they maintained I believe, but you have to know what state the bird was bred in, and if you don't then your out of luck, and even though I'm fairly certain my bird was bred in my state, I tried my state and every surrounding state and no information was found.

So my point is here in the USA leg bands are useless except to a breeder. You would think that the united state wildlife agency or something would have a central database where you can register you birds leg band and your information, and update it as needed so that if your bird does fly out the window the leg band will actually serve the purpose it was meant to fulfill.

Also based on information I could find Green Cheek Conures aren't banned, or restricted anywhere in the USA.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand your annoyance w/ the situation. I had the same when I inherited Buddy. We tried everything @ the time... Databases online & recommendations of where to & who to check with, Called a number of breeders including the very one that SHOULD have been the original person that had Buddy. Noone would lay claim to his band. I ended up paying for the dang DNA test. My Dad who had gotten him as a present from my Step Mom from a pet store as a baby (he may've had ppwk,gone). They split shortly thereafter... She moved outta state, & had been there almost as long as Buddy's years, could no longer remember the name of the pet store (we still talk)... Dead ends everywhere.

Eventually I joined AA & the smart members here suspected the very same breeder that I say "Should" have been... The phone call w/ her was fishy... She stated multiple times she never had Buddy's (MRH Zon) bird type... It was odd & I can be a little suspicious of people but this lady just felt like she was telling a tale. I had been told by a few of those initial breeder calls, to call her & IF she wasn't the breeder she'd know who to call BUT she was getting up there in years (sweet lady) they all said. It didn't feel sweet, she knew absolutely no other breeders, it was not "Her"!

So, I'm not accusing but she didn't leave me w/ the feeling of all warm & fuzzy. Maybe her years had gotten to her faculties or she got her hands on MRH Zon's by bad means & slapped her cuffs on them & shipped them off. IDK, I do know it cost me & it felt everlovingly hurtful... 1st My Dad was gone... Because my Dad had done nothing except told me where Buddy's food was stored, left no notes & I was lost! BTW, all seeds w/peanuts mixed in & a few random dried fruits in bar style bulk jars from UTZ. Needless to say, the dried fruit was all crappy, I wondered abt the seeds & peanuts (peanuts are really bad for a # of reasons). That was Buddy's food & some table stuff we figured out like pork items (parrots should NEVER Ever have) including BACON. :gag: Poor floof.

So not that I have it all figured out but his diets fixed! Lol

I can't blame you about the Nano & Micro chip'ping, I have mixed feelings abt doing it to an amazon, I can only imagine a green cheek... I CAN tell you this place & the regulars that run around here helping & the modererators & vendors are the reason I didn't stupidly kill Buddy. He's seen a vet (as far as I can tell) (btw, another 20 calls there regarding was he ever there & his band #'s) never till me, He flies now, couldn't @ all when he came 25 years of muscle attrophy, he can NOW hang upside down (He had sticks for legs & they're now properly sized drumsticks) & He's as healthy as he can be after that many years of poor diet, no exercise & whatnot. My Dad didn't intentionally harm him, I knew he loved Buddy they were yhe best of friends... He just had apparently a 25 year DUH moment! Lack of ability to look it up that long ago would've taken a book & a whole bunch of them. Sadly, My Dad wasn't that guy when it came to pets...

Sorry! I went off on a round abt there, but I feel your pain! Thank goodness for the Monica's & Mizzley's that run around & snatch up these band threads & attempt to get people to where they need to be. & Jan trying to remedy some of this insanity w/ a new database for us all to use. I hope one day connections are made again often, w/ it. I tried to help here but, my efforts were no good other then to call out to those that have & memorized the little band route's left.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Green cheeks are not too small to microchip... if a mini microchip is used... but still, the needle is huge!

My mitred conure has a band. His band indicates that he is an AFA bird. His band has his breeders initials on it as well as the year he was born. AFA was able to contact his breeder and I found out that his parents were wild caught imports, making him a first gen captive bred bird. The breeder also only bred the pair once before handing them off to someone else! Considering how loud mitreds are? It's no surprise! :laugh:

And I have an African Ringneck as well.... and based on the information I was given on her band... she was imported May of 2013!!!! Which means she is likely a wild caught bird... and based on her behaviors? I could believe that! I had her band removed...

JessAndSky

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica Lea
I’m looking for breeder information for our blue and gold macaw that we took in 3 years ago. PEI NC 541 the nc is sideways to the other info. As far as we know Rio hatched in July of 2013.
My birds band also starts with PEI NC! I got her from someone in Maryland in 1999 who got her from North Carolina, but unfortunately that's all the information I have. Did you ever find out any additional info?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My birds band also starts with PEI NC! I got her from someone in Maryland in 1999 who got her from North Carolina, but unfortunately that's all the information I have. Did you ever find out any additional info?
Unfortunately, that member has not been on the forum in over a year so you will most likely not receive a reply.

stacey_a_l

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stacey
Does anyone know who "NMA" is? Band is solid aluminum with horizontal letters and numbers. "NMA ####" (I'll leave the numbers out of my posting for privacy)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does anyone know who "NMA" is? Band is solid aluminum with horizontal letters and numbers. "NMA ####" (I'll leave the numbers out of my posting for privacy)
What kind of bird and what country are you in? That can help too :)

Ernestom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ernesto Muñoz Alarcón
Can you help me find any information about my bird.
Band number BBF 3333

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you help me find any information about my bird.
Band number BBF 3333
Most likely another Barney's Bird Farm bird. What kind of bird is this? Did you get him/her from a pet store?

Barney's Pets and Supplies
Address: 13325 Benson Ave, Chino, CA 91710
Phone: (909) 591-4200