• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where would you hide if you were a budgie?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here's an idea - what about using a blacklight or UV light? Some budgie feathers shine brighter in that and may make it easier to see?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I know you are very upset and I feel the pain and panic in your heart.
:hug8:

Thank you. Hug is much needed and very much appreciated. I have been on edge for the last two days, snapping at all of my animal friends, and that behavior is totally uncalled for.

I obviously want to find Lenny alive, but if he is not alive, I want to give him a proper burial. It's like he just disappeared, in thin air.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Usually cats won't eat wing feathers so there would be evidence if a cat did get him.

I know the vanishing act issue all too well. When Koopa escaped I spent a half hour looking inside the house before realizing she had to have made it outside. We never found her either way. I had nightmares for weeks that I would find her body months too late. We moved a couple years later and I was terrified of it still everytime we cleared a room out. The not knowing is so much worse than an answer, regardless of what the answer is

I am so sorry about Koopa. Animals break our hearts.

You are so right, when you can't find them there is no closure. I so badly want to find him but I am dreading it too.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't imagine what you're going through. I hope he shows up safe and sound soon.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry you haven't found Lenny. I really hope you do and I hope he's still alive.

I hate to be so morbid but one time I saw an indoor/outdoor cat eat a bird, and he devoured the whole thing. Feathers, beak and all! I really hope that's not the case here but I just wanted to say that because it might be a possibility :(

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I'm so sorry you haven't found Lenny. I really hope you do and I hope he's still alive.

I hate to be so morbid but one time I saw an indoor/outdoor cat eat a bird, and he devoured the whole thing. Feathers, beak and all! I really hope that's not the case here but I just wanted to say that because it might be a possibility :(
I could possibly see an outdoor cat doing that, one that hunts for food, or a mother cat with kittens.

But when one of my parent's hens got attacked by a weasel there were feathers everywhere. When my kitten pawed at Egg (my other parakeet) there were feathers everywhere.

I will be honest, I was alarmed that two cats were out at the same time Lenny was, especially when I saw what cat it was. He is a young cat and I have never seen anything like him when it came to the parakeets. But once again, he would be more incline to play with Lenny or anything that moves, so I think I would still see a body.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Black light also can light up white feathers in case he left a trail.
Dim the lights & use the balck light all over. It also can pick up urine stains sometimes.

It really is a good tool...I didn;t think of it...Thanks Miz...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Usually if a cat or dog does eat feathers they will bring them up as they are too hard to digest. They seem to handle ingesting a few but eating a lot of feathers (especially the larger wing and tail ones) will normally make them bring at least the feathers up a while after eating them. With this thought in mind I am really hoping that your cat did not get him as you have said your cats are indoor cats and you have not found any puke filled with feathers I assume.
I really feel for you, this must be so very stressful and upsetting. Make sure to take good care of yourself and eat healthy during this stressful time, remember you will need your strength for the search and also to take care of your other pets.
I hope you find him.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to say that my heart is with you and Lenny as you continue the search. :(

Sylvester

Hit the Road
As has been mentioned keep the cats locked away. I wouldn't think that he would go under the couch if the cats were loose. I would think he would be up high or in places he would feel safe from the cats. Try looking on top of the kitchen cabinets!
My thought exactly, trying to get to higher ground. I just didn't know if he might have been injured and crawled behind something.