• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where would you hide if you were a budgie?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Could it be your Lenny is someplace he cannot get out of? Stove or refrigerator? Do you have a basement? Attic?
The basement and attic are kept closed. The stove and fridge I have pulled out and checked behind. I am in the process of pulling out books from their shelves in the living room.

As I said up above it is like he never existed.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Could a family member have inadvertently let him out at some point?

A family member was responsible for Lenny getting out of his cage along with the cats getting out of the bathroom.

I have my two young nephews staying with me this summer until August. They are ten and six.

They older boy could take or leave the birds. He thinks they are cute but is more interested in sports and computer games.

But the little guy loves all animals. If he's not carrying around one of my cats he's talking to a bird.

I wouldn't let him go near my Umbrella Cockatoo because of Fred's unpredictable behavior. But I did allow him to help take care of the parakeets. He loved those two little chuckleheads, and they seemed to really enjoy the attention he lavished upon them.

Being only six meant that I had to go and clean up behind him... a lot. He admitted the last time he fed the birds he might not have closed the cage door all the way. And in the middle of the night he got up, was a little disoriented, a little homesick (scared), and didn't want to travel to the bathroom that was farther away.

I don't blame my cats and I certainly don't blame a six year old. They are my birds, my responsibility, and the buck stops with me.

I probably rambled on for too long. Forgive me.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry, its not looking good for him unless he found water as its been close to 6 days.

As you said he's not flying around or walking around as the cats would pick it up. He's caught somewhere or injured as you say its really impossible for him to have gotten outside.

The vent??? who knows if he could fit in its possible cold or not...

I have a gut feeling he was injured but he has to be somewhere. An open drawer that got closed??? Just maddening/...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could the boy have done something & hurt the bird then disposed of it????
Taken it out of the house???

Maybe there was an accident & he is afraid to tell you????

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sorry, its not looking good for him unless he found water as its been close to 6 days.

As you said he's not flying around or walking around as the cats would pick it up. He's caught somewhere or injured as you say its really impossible for him to have gotten outside.

The vent??? who knows if he could fit in its possible cold or not...

I have a gut feeling he was injured but he has to be somewhere. An open drawer that got closed??? Just maddening/...

Little water dishes have been laid out everywhere.

He would have had to travel from the top floor to the bottom one, crossed five rooms, all with a cat right behind him, to get to that vent. But you are right, it is possible.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just guessing as I don;t know the layout. I guess he could be playing a good game of hide & seek & comingout to eat & drink at night & return to hiding but like we both thought the cats could pick up on that & so would the blacklight. Any poops around the water dishes?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Could the boy have done something & hurt the bird then disposed of it????
Taken it out of the house???

Maybe there was an accident & he is afraid to tell you????
He blabs out everything and not always to his advantage. For example he did come and tell me that he left the door open for Lenny and the cats. Not sure at his age I would have admitted that one to my parents.

I will talk to him some more.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Just guessing as I don;t know the layout. I guess he could be playing a good game of hide & seek & comingout to eat & drink at night & return to hiding but like we both thought the cats could pick up on that & so would the blacklight. Any poops around the water dishes?

Not a sign that Lenny ever existed.

When the other parakeet was mauled by my kitten last Halloween night, there were feathers everywhere.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you heard him chirping anymore?I'm really hoping he shows up soon. Safely

Sylvester

Hit the Road
And just a question to anybody.

Yes, I understand that birds freeze up like a statue when they suspect predators of being around. But wouldn't hunger and thirst have broken through that? Wouldn't self preservation have kicked in and Lenny would have eventually come out in the pursuit of food or water?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And just a question to anybody.

Yes, I understand that birds freeze up like a statue when they suspect predators of being around. But wouldn't hunger and thirst have broken through that? Wouldn't self preservation have kicked in and Lenny would have eventually come out in the pursuit of food or water?
He may have found food and water without having to come out of hiding

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wouldn't self preservation have kicked in and Lenny would have eventually come out in the pursuit of food or water?

As your know budgies are very fearful in a stress situation. Still when a budgie is hungry they look for food. In the recent posting here I am thinking perhaps this bird got outside somehow when a door was opened. That could be why you see no trace of him. Did you also look outdoors? Sorry I guess you are getting tired of all our questions.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
As your know budgies are very fearful in a stress situation. Still when a budgie is hungry they look for food. In the recent posting here I am thinking perhaps this bird got outside somehow when a door was opened. That could be why you see no trace of him. Did you also look outdoors? Sorry I guess you are getting tired of all our questions.
I actually don't know much about budgies and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

I am thrilled when someone responds to this thread. I get great suggestions and you are learning more about the situation. I don't always remember little details and the questions members ask do a wonderful job of jolting my memory.The attention that Lenny has gotten truly humbles me, and even if the outcome is not good, I will never forget the interest and concern that members have shown towards Lenny.

The only reason I am not thinking about the outdoors is because of the time. He was in his cage at one when I went to bed, and when I got up at six, he was missing. That means that somebody would have had to open a door or window from one am to six am and the boys sleep all the way through the night.

Once I found him missing nobody was allowed to open a window or leave a door open. But I can certainly look outside for him. I would rather he had gotten out than be trapped behind something.

What you said about coming out for food makes sense. I would expect that from any animal.

The cats not reacting is what really worries me. As you know animals are great at alerting us when something is amiss.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any advice that hasn't been given already. I keep checking the thread to see if you have good news. I'm just sorry and hope so much you find your baby.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I don't have any advice that hasn't been given already. I keep checking the thread to see if you have good news. I'm just sorry and hope so much you find your baby.

Thank you, Dona. You have no idea how much I want to deliver "good news".

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The basement and attic are kept closed. The stove and fridge I have pulled out and checked behind. I am in the process of pulling out books from their shelves in the living room.

As I said up above it is like he never existed.
Did you check under and inside? My gas stove has an opening at the bottom in the back.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've probably already done this but have you checked every single box and container you have in the house? I'm still hoping that you will find him and that he will be OK.