• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where would you hide if you were a budgie?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
OMG check under furniture, on the curtain rods, in the drapes themselves, any toys they can hide in, window sills, counter tops...
I pray you find the wee guy (before the cats do)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Lay out a big millet spray in the places you think this budgie may be hiding. Crossing fingers here that he is safe. Sometimes you may not see the feathers!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Sounds like the cats prolly got to him just because they didn't before don't mean they wouldnt a bird that size you wouldnt see feathers either

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Update: Still can't find him. :(

I have one big downstairs's closet to go through and I am going to re-check everything again thoroughly. A friend thought maybe he died from a heart attack, but once again I would have found his body. I put my other parakeet in a travel cage and am carrying her through the house. Last night I turned a music channel on to see if he would chirp along. I can hear faint chirping but I can't figure out the direction it is coming from. I think it may be the closet. Everybody is locked up, including my cockatoos. I also have an alarm clock that has bird chirps as one of it's wake up options. He needs to make sounds so I can get to him.

Thank you everybody so very much. You all have been incredibly supportive and kind.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sounds like the cats prolly got to him just because they didn't before don't mean they wouldnt a bird that size you wouldnt see feathers either

No, I really don't think so, just something tells me that didn't happen. There were no signs of an attack, and no body either.

My cats are incredibly well fed to the point of obesity, and they are not hunters. Now that doesn't mean that one could not have played with him until he died, but once again there is no body.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
My budgie has done scary adventures to the basement, but when he gets scared he gets quiet and only chirps occasionally. I'd check everywhere that's in plain sight, things like on bookshelves, tables, etc. Then things like curtain rods (one of my budgies favorite spots) and then behind/under stuff, beds fridges etc.

If you have hooks on the back of doors check those, on top of tvs, if a closet or cabinet was open, that kind of thing. I'd leave out feeding areas everywhere you can (so maybe millet or another treat your budgie holds sacred) and water. Maybe put some play areas he is familiar with around too. So if he is scared, he can maybe decide to come out to the familiar area.

I really hope you find him safe :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

The cats are all locked away. Thank you. I just hope I can find him in time. I am afraid of him starving to death more than any cat getting him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Any small tears in screens or anything? I looked all over for my green cheek before realizing she had escaped the house :(

Pretty much look behind any large items: ovens, fridges, etc. You can take photos with a digital camera or cell phone to look behind without needing to take everything apart usually.

Any treats or sounds he would react to with chirps?

I am taking the female parakeet around in a small cage, have the music channel on, and an alarm clock that sounds like birds chirping.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awwww - I was SO hoping you had found him. Follow those faint chirps and keep us updated - prayers and hugs are with you.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you. I have a horrible feeling,.. the closet. And you ought to see this closet. I inherited this house from my great great aunt and that closet still contains a lot of her things. She has magazines going back to the forties, not to mention HER mother's magazines going back to the late 1800's. This ought to be fun.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thank you. I have a horrible feeling,.. the closet. And you ought to see this closet. I inherited this house from my great great aunt and that closet still contains a lot of her things. She has magazines going back to the forties, not to mention HER mother's magazines going back to the late 1800's. This ought to be fun.
That's the area to be concentrating on then...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really hope you find him. Is there any way at all that he could have gotten out of the house?
Was the closet opened?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Put some water & seed around the house. Bring the others around. You heard peeps?

He could be trapped under something or behind or in a drawer you close or closet????

Darn!!!! They will usually come walking around if they can. Maybe fell behind something & was hurt...leg or wing...

Listen for those chirps but then again birds don;t like to give away there location if they are hurt as it brings predators...

Poor lil guy
:sadhug2: