• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where would you hide if you were a budgie?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Okay, I have a budgie on the loose in my house and I can not find him. I have looked into every nook and nanny I can.

He apparently got out early in the morning and two of my cats got out of their sleeping quarters (a rarely used bathroom). There is no evidence of any kind of attack, no feathers around. I think he flew, was probably chased, and is now in hiding. But where?

I looked in boxes, baskets, and behind things. Could he have gone under the couches? Do birds stay on the floor and go under furniture?

I want to find him before one of my cats does.

Also, will he eventually come out of his hiding place if he becomes hungry?

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Can you lock your cats in a different room until you find him? I wouldn't let them free roam while your budgie is on the loose.

Can you play budgie noises to try and get him to respond?

I hope you find him soon! :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Lock the cats in a room that you KNOW the budgie isn't in like a powder room if you have one.

Look under everything, behind anything and between any furniture that has a space between it and the wall. I've lost 1 gcc because it got wedged upside down behind a bookcase and couldn't make any noise. Also look at places in plain sight, fids are very good at hiding when all they do is sit still and don't make a sound.

We once thought we'd lost a young tiel through a hole in the screen that a chipmunk had chewed (that's another story). We found Spud (as we named him) sitting on a potato on the kitchen counter next to the stove, quiet as a mouse and in plain view. On bookshelves next to books, knick-knacks, the top of curtains/drapes, lamps, fans, ad nauseum.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Can you lock your cats in a different room until you find him? I wouldn't let them free roam while your budgie is on the loose.

Can you play budgie noises to try and get him to respond?

I hope you find him soon! :hug8:
I do too! Last time I found him in a corner behind three boxes, just plaster to the wall. I will put the most rambunctious cat in another room. He is very scrawny, a dark grey color which makes it hard to spot him. I am taking a flashlight now to the see underneath the couches.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Lock the cats in a room that you KNOW the budgie isn't in like a powder room if you have one.

Look under everything, behind anything and between any furniture that has a space between it and the wall. I've lost 1 gcc because it got wedged upside down behind a bookcase and couldn't make any noise. Also look at places in plain sight, fids are very good at hiding when all they do is sit still and don't make a sound.

We once thought we'd lost a young tiel through a hole in the screen that a chipmunk had chewed (that's another story). We found Spud (as we named him) sitting on a potato on the kitchen counter next to the stove, quiet as a mouse and in plain view. On bookshelves next to books, knick-knacks, the top of curtains/drapes, lamps, fans, ad nauseum.
Thank you. I am going to lock the cats in another room. He is the littlest and scrawniest parakeet with a dark purplish color, which doesn't help matters. His cage mate, (Egg) didn't follow him.

The last time he got out of his cage, one of the cats (who is deformed and can't hurt anything) found him for me. Avatar, heard a noise coming from a corner. He jumped down from my lap and went over to the corner and just stood and stared. My instincts told me, if you want to find a bird, follow a cat.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
When Fergus went into hiding last November, he was behind the drapes in my dining room. Only reason he flew out was because Fiona called for him. Maybe you could put one of the other budgies in a travel cage and move him to where you think yours might be hiding, and he might call to him?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
When Fergus went into hiding last November, he was behind the drapes in my dining room. Only reason he flew out was because Fiona called for him. Maybe you could put one of the other budgies in a travel cage and move him to where you think yours might be hiding, and he might call to him?

Egg has been chirping his little head off all day. When I got up this morning I found the lid off of the Budgie cage and someone had let the two cats out. I don't think either one got Lenny, but my God, he could be ANYWHERE. He is quite the flyer, which Egg is not, so I am glad that Egg didn't decide to join him. If I can't find him under the couches, I don't know where to look next.

Check off list
1. Beams
2. Fridge (top of) Oh Lord, I hope he isn't behind it.
3 Cupboards
4. corners
5. baskets
6. cushions

Sylvester

Hit the Road
If you have a recliner check it out very carefully - my tiels like hiding under there - especially when they're young.

Also the top of the shower curtain(s) or bathrooms.
The only bathroom on that side of the house is the one the cats are kept in at night. No, forget that, there is another littler bathroom but the door is always shut. No recliner but I have been looking under the cushions of the couches.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had birds go missing. I've found them in boxes, near the bottom of a desk on the wood slat part, behind vertical blinds, under other birds' cages, on lamp shades, etc. I really hope you find him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I've had birds go missing. I've found them in boxes, near the bottom of a desk on the wood slat part, behind vertical blinds, under other birds' cages, on lamp shades, etc. I really hope you find him.

Thank you. Well, he couldn't have gotten too far. You have given me some really helpful suggestions on different places to look. Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any small tears in screens or anything? I looked all over for my green cheek before realizing she had escaped the house :(

Pretty much look behind any large items: ovens, fridges, etc. You can take photos with a digital camera or cell phone to look behind without needing to take everything apart usually.

Any treats or sounds he would react to with chirps?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I hope this ends up with a happy safe found bird.
I would be looking under and behind everything, fridges, stove, washing machine, bookcases, books on bookcases, inside bags and boxes, behind couch and bed pillows, behind open doors, washing baskets, cupboards, entertainment systems, curtains, storage areas. I would be turning the whole house upside down, budgies are such little things that could get just about anywhere. Gee I hope you find him safe and sound.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My budgie has done scary adventures to the basement, but when he gets scared he gets quiet and only chirps occasionally. I'd check everywhere that's in plain sight, things like on bookshelves, tables, etc. Then things like curtain rods (one of my budgies favorite spots) and then behind/under stuff, beds fridges etc.

If you have hooks on the back of doors check those, on top of tvs, if a closet or cabinet was open, that kind of thing. I'd leave out feeding areas everywhere you can (so maybe millet or another treat your budgie holds sacred) and water. Maybe put some play areas he is familiar with around too. So if he is scared, he can maybe decide to come out to the familiar area.

I really hope you find him safe :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2: