• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
We had him from August 7, 2015 until October 16, 2016. He was Hatched in April 2015, so he was a year and a half old, and with us for 14 months when he was taken off of my shoulder by a hawk.
He was not on a harness, but that would not have saved him. He was on my shoulder partly under my hair. I never dreamed they'd come that close to a human with a dog right beside them; I thought they'd see us all as one big thing or group? Anyway, I was waving to my neighbor who was going to his truck & saw his face change from a smile to alarm. I started to turn around to see what he was looking at but before I could a brown blur went right past my face and I heard the beginning of a squawk from 'Stachi. I never even felt it happen. :sad1: The rest seemed to happen in slow motion.

I've played it over and over in my head, there was no way to get him back. All I could have done was prevent it and the only solutions I have come up with was to not have taken him on the walks or a secure cage
Every time I read that it is so heartbreaking:sadhug2::sadhug2:

But I agree, you are doing well and building trust needs time! My cockatiel was old and abused when I got him, with time and patience we became best buds:) Henkie my lovebird is a pet store bird, I know the pet shop his previous carer bought him from and every single bird I have ever seen there has been terrified and in rough feather. Henkie was one of them, today he is sitting on my erelid so I have to keep my eye closed while he cuddles my face. They can and do come aroud:hug8:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I like Newman or Elaine. :) Jerry could be changed to Jerri and vice versa.

We had him from August 7, 2015 until October 16, 2016. He was Hatched in April 2015, so he was a year and a half old, and with us for 14 months when he was taken off of my shoulder by a hawk.
He was not on a harness, but that would not have saved him. He was on my shoulder partly under my hair. I never dreamed they'd come that close to a human with a dog right beside them; I thought they'd see us all as one big thing or group? Anyway, I was waving to my neighbor who was going to his truck & saw his face change from a smile to alarm. I started to turn around to see what he was looking at but before I could a brown blur went right past my face and I heard the beginning of a squawk from 'Stachi. I never even felt it happen. :sad1: The rest seemed to happen in slow motion.

I've played it over and over in my head, there was no way to get him back. All I could have done was prevent it and the only solutions I have come up with was to not have taken him on the walks or a secure cage.
Wow, that is heartbreaking. I feel so bad for you for having experienced something as emotionally traumatizing as that. Wow. Yes, I would be playing that over and over in my head as well. So, so sad. I had no idea that a hawk would come that close to a person, especially while walking a dog, as you said.

It is good to be aware that this is possible. I always thought it would be fun to put my bird on a harness and take her for a walk on trails along the river. Now, that doesn't sound like such a good idea anymore...

So, so sorry!!!!!

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I am so excited this thread is still fresh! I started reading it not realizing how current it is and I followed along like it was Harry Potter or something, laughing and crying at every twist and turn! First of all @cab124 you are doing great and have already gotten wonderful advice here. Congrats on bringing home your new companion and even more so for choosing one that is going to take more time to earn your trust. I am a relatively new conure owner, I brought Sebastion home last October and he was 8 months old and I've learned so, so much. I don't want to repeat what anyone has said so I've read through the entire thread carefully and hopefully I won't.

One thing I noticed that no one kinda put out there in bold language is that this may take MONTHS or even YEARS before she completely trusts you. It also may only take a few weeks! Every bird is different, but don't give up! The best advice I could give you is do not measure her progress in days, measure it in weeks and even better, months. Sebastian was kept in a wonderful store before I brought him home, surrounded by loving caretakers and had frequent regular visitations from customers who loved him- however that didn't stop him from being a scared-y bird when I brought him home! It took almost 5 months for him to gather up the courage to start really playing with toys and showing us his personality. I have to say that check point training was a total game changer, he was not comfortable coming close to me or stepping up until about two weeks of doing check point training THROUGH the bars. Here is an awesome video on that:
When you are reaching in to give her a cashew you are moving much to fast, you need to take this slower than a snail baby! Think about it, you are giving her three new and huge scary things to process, your hand in her new home, your hand, and the cashew. Back it up, approach giving her treats from your hands through the bars, and slowly, very slowly, build up her trust. Also get yourself some Nutri-berries, it made a huge difference for me once Sebastian realized I had those suckers he was like, "I'm still scared of you but gimme that!"

Also, check out more of Mandi's videos and also Marlene Mc'Cohen on YouTube, watch any and all of their tutorials on training and trust building, and teaching step up in a trust building way, they both have different approaches but are very very educational and will help you understand her body language better. Also her bobbing up and down wanting to get out of the cage is a great sign! Not a bad one! It means she is ready for you to open the door and let her explore her new home! But please watch some videos on YouTube on how to get her back in the cage without forcing her and breaking trust, because she is flighted it will be a bit more of a challenge for you, but just make sure you're prepared and you'll figure it out!

One last piece of advice, don't worry about where she came from and what she went through- because it's over and it doesn't change anything about how you are going to approach her and gain her trust. Focusing on the past won't serve either of you, but working together every day to learn from one another and build trust will! It honestly won't make a difference if she was meant to be a breeder or beaten or whatever- you just have to take it slow, win her over with your steadfast assuredness and steady supply of food and treats, and show her through your actions and energy that you are safe and you love her. Birds sense energy more than anything, and if you are sitting there looking at her, thinking of how bad it was for her, pitying her and feeling sad, she will feel that and pick up on it and reflect it back to you. Shine your love on her, radiate pure joy and compassion and acceptance to her and she will radiate it back! :)

I am so, so excited for you both. I think as long as you can really internalize that gaining her trust is a marathon and not a sprint you will find so much joy in every little sign of growth and trust building as I have with my Sebastian. FYI it's been 8 months and he went from being a scared little man afraid of everything and wouldn't step-up to my snuggly funny incredibly trainable and intelligent fluffly little bundle of joy!! He even dive-bombed the dog in the face the other day LOL :) Keep up the great work!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
My buddy woke me up this morning with some really adorable noises. It's amazing the different types of sounds they can make.

I have been sitting at the island working my form for the Kentucky Derby. She came down and ate some fruit and seeds, then took a bath in her water bowl, then went back to her perch and hasn't made a peep.

I am heading over to Starbucks - give her some lone time. I kinda like the name "Bogart" as well as "Newman" or "Elaine". I like film noir, and Bogart implies mystery. This bird sure has an air of mystery about her... I also like the suggestion of "Aywon," but it keeps reminding me of A1 Steak Sauce!!!

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am so excited this thread is still fresh! I started reading it not realizing how current it is and I followed along like it was Harry Potter or something, laughing and crying at every twist and turn! First of all @cab124 you are doing great and have already gotten wonderful advice here. Congrats on bringing home your new companion and even more so for choosing one that is going to take more time to earn your trust. I am a relatively new conure owner, I brought Sebastion home last October and he was 8 months old and I've learned so, so much. I don't want to repeat what anyone has said so I've read through the entire thread carefully and hopefully I won't.

One thing I noticed that no one kinda put out there in bold language is that this may take MONTHS or even YEARS before she completely trusts you. It also may only take a few weeks! Every bird is different, but don't give up! The best advice I could give you is do not measure her progress in days, measure it in weeks and even better, months. Sebastian was kept in a wonderful store before I brought him home, surrounded by loving caretakers and had frequent regular visitations from customers who loved him- however that didn't stop him from being a scared-y bird when I brought him home! It took almost 5 months for him to gather up the courage to start really playing with toys and showing us his personality. I have to say that check point training was a total game changer, he was not comfortable coming close to me or stepping up until about two weeks of doing check point training THROUGH the bars. Here is an awesome video on that:
When you are reaching in to give her a cashew you are moving much to fast, you need to take this slower than a snail baby! Think about it, you are giving her three new and huge scary things to process, your hand in her new home, your hand, and the cashew. Back it up, approach giving her treats from your hands through the bars, and slowly, very slowly, build up her trust. Also get yourself some Nutri-berries, it made a huge difference for me once Sebastian realized I had those suckers he was like, "I'm still scared of you but gimme that!"

Also, check out more of Mandi's videos and also Marlene Mc'Cohen on YouTube, watch any and all of their tutorials on training and trust building, and teaching step up in a trust building way, they both have different approaches but are very very educational and will help you understand her body language better. Also her bobbing up and down wanting to get out of the cage is a great sign! Not a bad one! It means she is ready for you to open the door and let her explore her new home! But please watch some videos on YouTube on how to get her back in the cage without forcing her and breaking trust, because she is flighted it will be a bit more of a challenge for you, but just make sure you're prepared and you'll figure it out!

One last piece of advice, don't worry about where she came from and what she went through- because it's over and it doesn't change anything about how you are going to approach her and gain her trust. Focusing on the past won't serve either of you, but working together every day to learn from one another and build trust will! It honestly won't make a difference if she was meant to be a breeder or beaten or whatever- you just have to take it slow, win her over with your steadfast assuredness and steady supply of food and treats, and show her through your actions and energy that you are safe and you love her. Birds sense energy more than anything, and if you are sitting there looking at her, thinking of how bad it was for her, pitying her and feeling sad, she will feel that and pick up on it and reflect it back to you. Shine your love on her, radiate pure joy and compassion and acceptance to her and she will radiate it back! :)

I am so, so excited for you both. I think as long as you can really internalize that gaining her trust is a marathon and not a sprint you will find so much joy in every little sign of growth and trust building as I have with my Sebastian. FYI it's been 8 months and he went from being a scared little man afraid of everything and wouldn't step-up to my snuggly funny incredibly trainable and intelligent fluffly little bundle of joy!! He even dive-bombed the dog in the face the other day LOL :) Keep up the great work!
Wow!!!!! Thank you so much, @Sambeana, for taking the time to write such an interesting, informative, and encouraging post. It's so good to know that other's have had success at getting such a scared baby bird to eventually trust them.

When I was offering him/her cashews, it was through the bars. I would never attempt that directly because it is not going to happen. She would freak out if it put my hand anywhere near her. I would have never thought that target/clicker training was even possible yet. Maybe I should consider that through the bars as you suggested. I thought I would also try offering her millet through the bars.

I will definitely watch the videos you suggested. She is as scared as they come and has absolutely no interest in me at all. She is just like a wild bird!!! So anything I can learn will be appreciated.

I can't imagine letting her out of the cage. I would NEVER get her back in, and if I did, it would completely kill any progress we might make. I don't even think I could take her to the vet yet or board her so that I can take a vacation. She would not cooperate with any of that.

Once again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@cab124 oh wonderful I didn't realize you were offering it through the bars, excellent! You are well on your way! And you're very welcome!!! I think you two are going to have a beautiful relationship! <3

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg: Same thing happened to the late Peggys bird...Horrific...I think it made her sick. That is traumatic...It never leaves you...So sorry
:sadhug2:
:cry3::sorrow:

I like Newman or Elaine. :) Jerry could be changed to Jerri and vice versa.

I've played it over and over in my head, there was no way to get him back. All I could have done was prevent it and the only solutions I have come up with was to not have taken him on the walks or a secure cage.

Cary

Meeting neighbors
I just joined today and I’ve loved reading your post!!! Congratulations on your Buddy! (Almost seems like a name!) Please keep posting, we’re all excited for both you!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I just joined today and I’ve loved reading your post!!! Congratulations on your Buddy! (Almost seems like a name!) Please keep posting, we’re all excited for both you!
Wow! Thank you, @Cary! I have been blown away by the amazing people in this forum who have been so willing to help me along with great advice and support. I can't imagine trying to adopt a bird like this without the community of people that we have here!!! Awesome!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My buddy woke me up this morning with some really adorable noises. It's amazing the different types of sounds they can make.

I have been sitting at the island working my form for the Kentucky Derby. She came down and ate some fruit and seeds, then took a bath in her water bowl, then went back to her perch and hasn't made a peep.

I am heading over to Starbucks - give her some lone time. I kinda like the name "Bogart" as well as "Newman" or "Elaine". I like film noir, and Bogart implies mystery. This bird sure has an air of mystery about her... I also like the suggestion of "Aywon," but it keeps reminding me of A1 Steak Sauce!!!

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!!

ITs also could be Vulcan...but A1 is yummy...:rofl:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Quick question...

When I completely cover the cage at night, he/she seems to get a little anxious and spends a lot of time climbing all over the inside of the cage looking through any location where there is light peeking in while making soft chirping sounds. This has gone on for a long time...

Should I leave it covered anyway? Not sure what to do.

Conure psychology is soooo much different from Pionus psychology. I am having a difficult time reading this bird. Very complicated. I feels like she is trying to tell me "please let me out of this cage so that I can go back to my flock!! please!! please!! I just want to go home." I feel a lot of emotional stress because I feel like I am causing her pain. Ugh!!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Don't cover is my advice. They are not covered in the wild. And she is definitively telling you that she don't want to be covered.
Have you consider getting a second bird?
I can't imagine letting her out of the cage. I would NEVER get her back in, and if I did, it would completely kill any progress we might make.
I always let my birds out, even if they are wild and are new in my home. I only tame training them outside the cage. I like that they can fly away if they get scared.
They need to exercise and that will make them so much calmer and easier to handle. And it will also reduce anxiety.
It is so easy to get them back if you only have patience.
If you are lucky they will go back on their own because they get hungry, and if they don't just wait until it is bedtime.
They are tired, and often very calm and some don't move at all. Move slowly and use a long perch. When they have step up on it, put them back to their cage.
They will learn after some day to go back on their own if you continue follow the same routines every night.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Instead of completely covering, try just covering on 3 sides or if you cover on all sides see if you can leave an area uncovered (a "peek out" area). Are you covering her cage because she is in an area where there is a lot of light? I only cover a few of my birds' cages depending on location and if they need to be covered to help them stop screaming and go to bed at night.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t cover cages at all.

I have 2 birds in the office now (birdie overflow:giggle:) and last night I noticed my computer was glowing a bright light. It does that when I leave photoshop open. So I went in planning to turn it off, ended up working in PS until 6 a.m. they were fine with it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio & Penny are not covered. Depends on the bird & I agree with Iam...to leave the front open or partially open

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thanks, everyone. I uncovered one side, and now she is fast asleep. Wow, so she was trying to tell me that she didn't want to be covered. I guess I am dense!

I covered her because that is what Cosmo liked. I guess I just assumed that is what all birds like!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't cover my Linnie. In the past, I have always covered my birds but my breeder said not to. So I am following his advice and she seems to be fine.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am working from home this morning. As I sat at my desk working on the computer, my little buddy came down from her high perch as ate some fruit from her bowl and decided to sit on the perch that is very close to me. While she was sitting there, a would slowly take a Nurtiberrie and push it between the bars of the cage so that it rested on the perch that she was sitting on. Each time I did this, she would immediately come over and take the treat. She was becoming more and more comfortable being close to my hand. Eventually, she would sit within about 6" of where I set the treat. Still very timid, but making some progress!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I don't cover my Linnie. In the past, I have always covered my birds but my breeder said not to. So I am following his advice and she seems to be fine.
Did the breeder give you a specific reason not to? Just curious.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Sounds like she's making a lot of progress, congratulations. :)

I think that covering the cage just depends on the bird. My conures don't get covered, they don't seem to like the total darkness, but a friend's Jenday won't go to bed until he's covered. As long as she seems to be getting enough sleep, I wouldn't worry about it.