• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My breeder said that birds hear things going on outside of their cover and can be scared. He has had birds have night frights and thrash around in the cage with the cover on. I agree that it might be a bird by bird decision. It's working for Gigi. At night, my girl is in a room that has no windows or doors, it was a dining room, so it's pretty dark. I dim the lights and then turn them off over a half hour period. We are still up and watching TV for a bit, a room away, but she doesn't stir.

It sounds like you are making progress with your baby! Congrats!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our green cheeks and Luv Bug get covered otherwise they will wake up way too early when my husband gets ready for work. We used to try to cover Buzz's cage, but he would pull the cover through the bars so we started leaving the front open or a space to peek though.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Update...

I had a great session with my buddy this morning! When I sat at the kitchen island close to the cage, she came down to the close perch next to me. I gave her some fruit and veggies and she had a good meal while I sat with her. Then I started placing Nutriberries at the end of her perch through the bars and each time, as soon as I moved my hand out of the way, she would run over and grab it, then she would look at me as if to say, "may I have another?" I kept placing them, and she kept coming over for them. She almost got to the point where she was grabbing them while my hand was still there!! Who knows, maybe in a few more days, she may take one from my hand!! When she went back up to her high perch, she seemed to be looking back at me with more trusting eyes. She didn't give me the head-bob that she normally does.

Amazing progress. I never would have guessed that she would make this much progress so soon. Very cool!

Unfortunately, my Dad is in the hospital so I am very distracted and not home much. But at least she is out of that pet store!!!!!

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
I'm sorry about your Dad, I hope it's nothing serious and that he's back home soon! :hug8:

Glad to hear you and your fid are making so much progress though! Sounds like she's starting to warm up to you.:D:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your dad and hope he will recover quickly and be released from the hospital.
Great that you are making progress with your feathered friend.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
First contact today!

For the first time today, she took a sunflower seed from my fingers today through the bars. Her beak touched my finger. We have made contact!!

She is still extremely cautious of me and tries her best to always keep her distance.

So far, all that I can get her to eat is seeds, Nutri-Berries, and apple. I can't get her to touch anything else, including pellets and veggies. Picky eater!! Almost seems like once a parrot tastes sunflower seeds, they become the only thing they will eat.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
First contact today!

For the first time today, she took a sunflower seed from my fingers today through the bars. Her beak touched my finger. We have made contact!!

She is still extremely cautious of me and tries her best to always keep her distance.

So far, all that I can get her to eat is seeds, Nutri-Berries, and apple. I can't get her to touch anything else, including pellets and veggies. Picky eater!! Almost seems like once a parrot tastes sunflower seeds, they become the only thing they will eat.

:fairy2:

Save the sunflowers for treats & you can find a way from her mouth to her heart...LOL

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she is starting to take food from your hand. Try some Avicakes or Lafeber parrot popcorn. Maybe she will like one or both of those.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Update:

My sister suggested the name, "Mango" because her coloring is exactly like a sweet, juicy, ripe mango. So, I have been calling her Mango! I like this name because it is a "happy" name, and mango is one of my favorite fruits.

We are making slow, steady progress. She now seems very comfortable sitting right next to me inside her cage. I can feed her Nutri-Berries and sunflower seeds from my hand and she runs right over to take them. However, she is still very cautious. I tried offering her a Nutri-berry inside the cage, but she would have nothing to do with that. We will start working on that soon. I will use skewers at first just like I have seen people do in YouTube videos.

Her psychology and language are very different than Cosmo's, so I am being forced to learn bird talk all over again! For example, last night when I was getting ready for her to go to sleep, I lowered the lights and shut the blinds on the window near her cage. I then sat down at the computer to do a little work. She immediately got very fidgety and then began making very high-pitched sounds. I couldn't figure out why she was doing this. Then it occurred to me... When I covered her cage last week she did the same thing, so she must be upset that I closed the blind on her window. So, I re-opened her blind, and sure enough, she settled down and went right to sleep!! Apparently, she loves to see everything that is around her.

I don't get to spend as much time working with her as I would like because of my parents being sick, but I am doing the best that I can!

There are still some things that she does that I just don't understand. For example, sometimes she will puff up and do a march from one end of her perch to the other, and make a high-pitched sound at regular intervals. What could this possibly mean???? I almost expect her to start talking: "I am from the planet Xyron. You are to submit and come with me immediately!"

She also does her head bob motion when she wants me to step away from the cage.

Are any of these things normal conure behavior?

I had a brand-new area rug installed in my living room yesterday. However, I began to notice that the new-carpet smell became very strong and was filling the condo. I ended up spending some time late last night tearing the room apart and rolling it up and getting it out of here thinking that the smell might be bad for Mango. I will have to air it out for a week somewhere before re-installing it.

Thanks!!
Craig

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Good catch about the blinds. :tup: Your efforts to understand her are paying off!

When she marches, is her head squared off? Our conures get full of themselves sometimes and strut with their head feathers pointed out and their wings carried a bit differently. It does sound like Mango's march. Ours do it when we're whistling to them, they hear music, or they just think they are hot stuff. It's so cute and it makes me laugh. :laugh:

When I brought home vinyl to use under Buzzard's playstand. I could smell it next to me in the car so I left it in my car with the windows cracked until I no longer smelled it -it took 3 weeks. o_O

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good idea to remove that rug and air it out. Who know what kinds of fumes were coming off of it.

My Dusky struts and puffs up sometimes. It's like he's saying, "Look at me! I'm a big guy and I am in charge." or "I'm a bit angry right now."

Sounds like you continue to make progress with her. Mango is a cute name.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
When she marches, is her head squared off? Our conures get full of themselves sometimes and strut with their head feathers pointed out and their wings carried a bit differently. It does sound like Mango's march. Our do it when we're whistling to them, they hear music, or they just think they are hot stuff. It's so cute and it makes me laugh. :laugh:
I agree:yes3: When I sweet talk to Blue(black capped conure) he does the strut too to show off:D

You are making great progress!:cantwait: Very good you removed the rug!

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
The fact that her body language is so different from Cosmo's must be really challenging for you, but you're obviously accustomed to 'reading' your bird - I think you're doing brilliantly! Glad you have a name for her, it suits her - or him!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am super scent sensitive and new carpet is awful with the out gassing. Glad you are airing it out.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am super scent sensitive and new carpet is awful with the out gassing. Glad you are airing it out.
So am I ! Very thankful that you thought of your baby with that.

You're doing a great job. :)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Good catch about the blinds. :tup: Your efforts to understand her are paying off!

When she marches, is her head squared off? Our conures get full of themselves sometimes and strut with their head feathers pointed out and their wings carried a bit differently. It does sound like Mango's march. Ours do it when we're whistling to them, they hear music, or they just think they are hot stuff. It's so cute and it makes me laugh. :laugh:

When I brought home vinyl to use under Buzzard's playstand. I could smell it next to me in the car so I left it in my car with the windows cracked until I no longer smelled it -it took 3 weeks. o_O
Here is the video of the march that I posted last week. What do you make of this??? I am very interested in understanding what this is supposed to mean, but I have no idea...

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
So am I ! Very thankful that you thought of your baby with that.

You're doing a great job. :)
Thank you so much. I am trying!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yes, awful outgassing in this case. Gave me a headache.