• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Ohhhh just babble on with the rest of us!:roflmao: Seriously, we all care and are somewhat invested in your story.

The bands - usually a 2nd band is a breeder’s mark for something. Very often they are open bands that can come off if you do it carefully. I band one leg with the ‘family’ color but if the hen is a different one than the male usually mates with I put a band on the other leg with her color. Some breeders put a band for male or female, for instance if a baby canary sang you’d know it was a male so band that one, quick!
Wow, so you are a breeder?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well lets not hope he she was a breeder bird...
Maybe they were planned on being breeders so one band is a sex id band.
Possible as large scale breeders are not going to file up all the bands #s & record male/female to them. Easy to see when they take them out male or female by color of band or id?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
ok, I managed to get as close a picture of his/her bands as I could get in low light with an iPhone.

There are two bands. One appears to be metallic red, and the other almost appears to be metallic green. Almost makes me wonder if maybe the bird was born around Christmas time. Notice that the band with the red seems to say "A1"

Any ideas????

upload_2018-5-4_19-55-15.png

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I was actually beginning to wonder if this bird was never intended to be a pet. There is something very different about it. I can tell that she
is very intelligent and always seems like she is trying to communicate.

The communication seems to be something like: "I have no desire to be your friend. I just want out of here. I want to go back to my flock. PLEASE!!!!"

At one point tonight, she started doing a little march on her perch, somewhat like my pionus used to do. Kind of puffed up, with a regular pattern of yells. Those of you who know conures well, any idea how to interpret this??

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I would give anything to find out about her past. Where did she come from and what has she experienced? I really need to do some detective work...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Well lets not hope he she was a breeder bird...
Maybe they were planned on being breeders so one band is a sex id band.
Possible as large scale breeders are not going to file up all the bands #s & record male/female to them. Easy to see when they take them out male or female by color of band or id?
That's right - if the store required knowing M, F they might have banded separately. Hopefully that's a split band he can just remove, as it isn't needed.

ADDED @cab124 we cross posted. Those are both breeder bands.... if you can discern the letters, numbers you *might* can track down the breeder.

Some states require ID bands due to illness in years past, or on certain species....or just on all pet store birds. Also, they can be just breeder bands (not state requiremnet) and be metal but open band.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does the pet store have no information at all where she came from? No invoice from the breeder? I know you said they lost the info but one would think they would know where the birds that they get come from.
No idea about A1. See if you can read both bands. Running back and forth on the perch....possibly just excited about something.
Info about bands: Reading Your Bird's Leg Band

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Just guessing - is it time for her birdie video?
YES! We have watched the video about 100 times tonight. Each time I put it on, she comes down and sits right next to me and we watch it together. If I don't immediately restart it, she goes back into her cave (the high perch in the covered section of the cage). When it comes on again, she comes out and watches it with me. She acts like a different bird while the video is on, eating, preening, chirping, etc.

It is very difficult to imagine her ever trusting me. All I have to do is turn my head too fast and she flees back into her cave. She seems to have no interest in me whatsoever. Doesn't seem like the kind of behavior I would expect in a hand-fed baby bird. I could be wrong though! I have no experience taming birds.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Does the pet store have no information at all where she came from? No invoice from the breeder? I know you said they lost the info but one would think they would know where the birds that they get come from.
No idea about A1. See if you can read both bands. Running back and forth on the perch....possibly just excited about something.
I will do my best to eventually get better pictures of both bands. I need better light. There is too much noise in low-light photos. Its hard to get a shot without freaking her out.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
YES! We have watched the video about 100 times tonight. Each time I put it on, she comes down and sits right next to me and we watch it together. If I don't immediately restart it, she goes back into her cave (the high perch in the covered section of the cage). When it comes on again, she comes out and watches it with me. She acts like a different bird while the video is on, eating, preening, chirping, etc.

It is very difficult to imagine her ever trusting me. All I have to do is turn my head too fast and she flees back into her cave. She seems to have no interest in me whatsoever. Doesn't seem like the kind of behavior I would expect in a hand-fed baby bird. I could be wrong though! I have no experience taming birds.
Give her a bit to get used to you. Bird time takes longer than people time. :hug8:You're doing well and so is she.
She will get used to you. Is her cage up high or do you loom over it when you are near it? Going up high feels safe. :)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
When I inquired about the breeder, at one point, it seemed like the salesperson started to say, "We don't give out..." then she changed it to "We can't find it."

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
When I inquired about the breeder, at one point, it seemed like the salesperson started to say, "We don't give out..." then she changed it to "We can't find it."
:mad:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will do my best to eventually get better pictures of both bands. I need better light. There is too much noise in low-light photos. Its hard to get a shot without freaking her out.
And you don't want to use a flash. Sooner or later you will get a better look at those bands.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:banghead:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Give her a bit to get used to you. Bird time takes longer than people time. :hug8:You're doing well and so is she.
She will get used to you. Is her cage up high or do you loom over it when you are near it? Going up high feels safe. :)
You are probably right. By the way, when did you lose Pistachio? How long had you had him/her?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
And you don't want to use a flash. Sooner or later you will get a better look at those bands.
Exactly!

Now, I really need to think of a name...

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I like Newman or Elaine. :) Jerry could be changed to Jerri and vice versa.

You are probably right. By the way, when did you lose Pistachio? How long had you had him/her?
We had him from August 7, 2015 until October 16, 2016. He was Hatched in April 2015, so he was a year and a half old, and with us for 14 months when he was taken off of my shoulder by a hawk.
He was not on a harness, but that would not have saved him. He was on my shoulder partly under my hair. I never dreamed they'd come that close to a human with a dog right beside them; I thought they'd see us all as one big thing or group? Anyway, I was waving to my neighbor who was going to his truck & saw his face change from a smile to alarm. I started to turn around to see what he was looking at but before I could a brown blur went right past my face and I heard the beginning of a squawk from 'Stachi. I never even felt it happen. :sad1: The rest seemed to happen in slow motion.

I've played it over and over in my head, there was no way to get him back. All I could have done was prevent it and the only solutions I have come up with was to not have taken him on the walks or a secure cage.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had him from August 7, 2015 until October 16, 2016. He was Hatched in April 2015, so he was a year and a half old, and with us for 14 months when he was taken off of my shoulder by a hawk.
He was not on a harness, but that would not have saved him. He was on my shoulder partly under my hair. I never dreamed they'd come that close to a human with a dog right beside them; I thought they'd see us all as one big thing or group? Amyway, I was waving to my neighbor who was going to his truck & saw his face change from a smile to alarm. I started to turn around to see what he was looking at but before I could a brown blur went right past my face and I heard the beginning of a squawk from 'Stachi. I never even felt it happen. :sad1: The rest seemed to happen in slow motion.

I've played it over and over in my head, there was no way to get him back. All I could have done was prevent it and the only solutions I have come up with was to not have taken him on the walks or a secure cage.

:sadhug2: