• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Aww, that's just heart warming :)
Glad to see she's warming up to you!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I woke up I thought that I should check in to see how your baby did last night! This has been such an interesting story. Happily eating her treats after you returned from work is so fantastic.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I'm so pleased to see that she seems to be settling in. I can't think of anything more rewarding than watching her come into her own and blossom under your care. I think you will both enjoy the adventure!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I have to tell you what happened tonight...

I got home from work and he/she was perched on the uncovered side of the cage. When she saw me, she didn't immediately go to the perch on the covered side. Instead, she just hung out. I wanted to prepare another feast of fruit for her, so I grabbed some apples, grapes, blueberries, orange and pomegranate seeds and took them all over to the kitchen island next to the cage. While she was watching, I chopped them all up, just like I did last night, put them on a small paper plate, opened the door of her cage, and placed the plate in her food bowl. She immediately went over and feasted. I sat right next to her at the island (probably about 18" away) and ate some fruit as well while responding to some emails. She definitely seemed to tolerate my presence a little better than other times. Being that close to her is so nice. She is one of the most beautiful conures I have ever seen. Every feather looks perfectly placed, and she just seems so small and tidy.

When she was done eating, she climbed up to the high perch in the covered part of the cage and just sat there. I tried sweet-talking her, and offering her a cashew, but she was not the slightest bit interested. She even did that slow head motion that I described several posts back which I definitely interpret to mean that she does not want to interact. I just respected that. She was showing no interest in me and just wanted to be alone.

When I was done with my emails, I decided to watch the video that I posted earlier of the 4 conures at Petsmart wrestling. What happened next blew me away. As soon as she heard and saw the video, she flew at about 100mph across the cage and became extremely excited. She stared intently at the video, making very happy sounding noises. It was like she had come to life!!! Suddenly, she was moving around, fluffing up, preening, flapping her wings, and just looked so happy. She didn't even care that I was right near her right outside the cage. We watched the video together about 4 or 5 times. She actually got as close to the screen as she could get. She was the happiest bird you have ever seen. I literally had tears running down my cheeks as I watched this because I was seeing her real personality for the very first time, and imagining how painful it must have been for her to have endured 2 full months sitting in that dark, lonely box at the pet store.

This whole episode feels like I am watching a Disney movie. This baby bird has really touched my heart. I want to help her be happy!!!

I captured some video of her perched on the uncovered section of her cage watching the video of the birds wrestling. You can see her excitement. At times, she was much more excited than this. It was so amazing to watch!!! Listen to the sounds she is making. Also, you can see her two leg bands. Isn't she beautiful???!!!

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:cheer:That is so wonderful! She is doing great for you!

I can’t see the video, maybe because I’m on my phone. I’ll look at it tomorrow.

So glad you took a chance on her!:sunflower:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fantastic news! She may appreciate a friend some day it sounds like ;) I have faith either way she will come out of her shell. Sometimes the breeder uses extra bands to show gender, but I thought that was for breeding pairs?

She really is gorgeous :heart:

Fruit is good, but really veggies are better :) Too much fruit can be bad because of the sugars.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Fantastic news! She may appreciate a friend some day it sounds like ;) I have faith either way she will come out of her shell. Sometimes the breeder uses extra bands to show gender, but I thought that was for breeding pairs?

She really is gorgeous :heart:

Fruit is good, but really veggies are better :) Too much fruit can be bad because of the sugars.
Yes, I know I have to transition to more veggies. I also want to get her off the seed mix that the pet store was feeding her and move toward pellets.

Any diet advice would be really appreciated. Which veggies do your birds like the most? Cooked or raw? Which pellets do you feed? Do you feed millet?

Thank so much!!!

Also, if these updates are getting to be too much, I can stop posting so frequently. Maybe more of a weekly update.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Never too often! Our shy Scotty was braver with Pistachio the Bold leading the way, including making progress with getting used to us. Your girl may have been like those feisty balls of energy at PetSmart before she was sold to that pet store; she probably misses her flock. :(

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Please, keep posting as often as you like! I love seeing the updates. :heart: Although somebirdy still needs a name...

Mine are on Zupreem Naturals with daily chop, and then every other day or so I'll give them an extra treat whether it be birdie bread, mash, etc. They're to the point now where they'll at least try just about anything I put in their chop, but it wasn't always that way for sure. I found that both of them took really well to both corn and peas in the beginning, especially if I opened the skin of the peas a little, so you might try one or both of those with her and see what she thinks. Other things to try are carrots, kale, green beans, bell peppers, etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Your frequency is perfectly fine :)

My conure loved all veggies. Very good eater! I do a "chop" salad mix. Here is how I do it: My Chop “Recipe” – Parrot 1-2-3

I do mostly raw except sweet potatoes and beans which must be cooked. Try to just offer it in many ways. Carrots, for example you can try in coins, diced up, or as sticks, as they all like them differently. Then you can slowly work out the preferences.

For pellets, I prefer any without sugar or dyes. There is a comparison on my website: https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

Mine are currently eating Hagen Tropican which I really do like. Zupreem Natural has sugar in it but its an easy "gateway" pellet for many birds. The best one is the one they will eat :)

I do offer millet occasionally, but not the whole spray. Just a small section at a time.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
@Mizzely, sorry to derail the thread a little, but did your guys take pretty well to the Hagen Tropican? I've been meaning to switch off of the Zupreem for a while, but neither of mine cared much for Harrisons or Roudybush.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely, sorry to derail the thread a little, but did your guys take pretty well to the Hagen Tropican? I've been meaning to switch off of the Zupreem for a while, but neither of mine cared much for Harrisons or Roudybush.

Yes, the bag with the Amazon on it (the parrot size) is almost exactly the same size and shape as the Zupreem Natural Cockatiel. I tried Hagen, Higgins, Harrison's, Roudybush, Lafebers, and Scenic, and the only one they liked was the Hagen. They also do like the Caitec Ovenfresh but its a lot of waste and expensive, so I just add a couple to their food every day.

Zupreem Natural is the only other pellet they like consistently!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I heard that there was a bird die-off at an aviary in Michigan that some think was related to Zupreem pellets. Not sure what to make of that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I heard that there was a bird die-off at an aviary in Michigan that some think was related to Zupreem pellets. Not sure what to make of that.

Zupreem Fruity is the accused but there isn't enough evidence to support it yet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's wonderful to read your updates and see how she/he is "blooming". She's/He's very pretty/handsome. My conure likes cooked mixed veggies. I purchase the frozen ones and just heat them up. He is not into pellets although I keep trying to get him to eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. My other birds like those. He gets a mix of Volkman Avian Science Super cockatiel no sunflower and Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill. They have a Lovebird/Conure mix and I used to give that to him but I decided to just make my own mix since I purchase the 'tiel and hookbill for my other birds as well as finch mix for my sparrow. Didn't need to purchase 4 different mixes.
I've tried mashes and birdie breads but he won't eat those. He wastes a lot of food because he is picky. He does eat millet but I don't give it to him very often. He also gets Lafeber Avicakes (usually tosses them), Lafeber Parrot Popcorn (eats that) and Avian Organics baked treats which he eats inconsistently.

I still wonder why she has two bands. It really is a shame that the store lost the paperwork. Maybe they can look again and find some info about her.

So glad you took a chance on her/him. Does she/he have a swing? That is something you may want to consider getting her/him if you think she will be OK with that.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Also, if these updates are getting to be too much, I can stop posting so frequently. Maybe more of a weekly update
Ohhhh just babble on with the rest of us!:roflmao: Seriously, we all care and are somewhat invested in your story.

The bands - usually a 2nd band is a breeder’s mark for something. Very often they are open bands that can come off if you do it carefully. I band one leg with the ‘family’ color but if the hen is a different one than the male usually mates with I put a band on the other leg with her color. Some breeders put a band for male or female, for instance if a baby canary sang you’d know it was a male so band that one, quick!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Your frequency is perfectly fine :)

My conure loved all veggies. Very good eater! I do a "chop" salad mix. Here is how I do it: My Chop “Recipe” – Parrot 1-2-3

I do mostly raw except sweet potatoes and beans which must be cooked. Try to just offer it in many ways. Carrots, for example you can try in coins, diced up, or as sticks, as they all like them differently. Then you can slowly work out the preferences.

For pellets, I prefer any without sugar or dyes. There is a comparison on my website: https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

Mine are currently eating Hagen Tropican which I really do like. Zupreem Natural has sugar in it but its an easy "gateway" pellet for many birds. The best one is the one they will eat :)

I do offer millet occasionally, but not the whole spray. Just a small section at a time.
Great information! Thank you.