• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
The fact that her body language is so different from Cosmo's must be really challenging for you, but you're obviously accustomed to 'reading' your bird - I think you're doing brilliantly! Glad you have a name for her, it suits her - or him!
Thanks!! It really is amazing how different the body language of a Pionus is from the body language of a conure. I have so much to learn.

Its been very nice to see that she is a very quiet bird. Her outbursts are high-pitched, but not ear-piercing loud.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I feel like we have kinda stalled a little bit. Her attitude seems to be, "Please feed me, then leave me alone. Go away." I wish I could spend more time with her!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
A pretty good video I found today on conure behaviors...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Here is the video of the march that I posted last week. What do you make of this??? I am very interested in understanding what this is supposed to mean, but I have no idea...

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
I was finally able to pull this one up. She seems excited. Possibly aggressive? but may also just want to interact. Next time she does it, try whistling to her and bobbing your head. If she does it back I'd say she's playful. :)

Also, her colors look so smooth, She's beautiful! :joyful:

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I was finally able to pull this one up. She seems excited. Possibly aggressive? but may also just want to interact. Next time she does it, try whistling to her and bobbing your head. If she does it back I'd say she's playful. :)

Also, her colors look so smooth, She's beautiful! :joyful:
YES!! She is extremely smooth. Definitely, one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen!! But she is really playing hard-to-get! hehehehe.

Most of the time now, when I even try to talk to her, she puffs up and starts giving me the serpentine head-bob "leave me alone" dance. She is not the slightest bit interested in interacting unless I have food, or show her a video of other birds. Also, she never plays with her toys, etc. I just have to continue to be patient. Its only been 2 weeks.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
You've come so far with her in two weeks! It might not seem like it now, but two, three, four months from now you'll look back at these posts and be amazed at how much you've progressed.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So glad you got rid of the carpet while it gases off, very smart! And I LOVE the name Mango, one of my cats shares the same name! Awesome!

And let's see conure body language, well some of the same things can mean different things in different contexts so it takes a little time, and trial and error to learn what Mango means. I know with Sebastian that if he was pacing and chirping like that he would want to come out. I would wait until he quieted down first, and then let him out, (I remember you saying you're not there yet, which is totally okay! I would take that as an opportunity to engage and do some check point training). Also, for Sebastian, bobbing his head up and down is always an excited hey I love you and want to come out and be with you sign. He also gets really really fluffy when he's happy (including the top of his head) but if the top of the head is flat and the rest if puffy he's more agitated than happy. If she is like most other hand-raised conures she is going to end up completely attached to you. Sebastian loves to be with me all the time no matter what I'm doing! Just keep building up the trust and you'll see she's gonna fall in love with you and you'll be able to know what she needs. The other day, no lie, Sebastian was sitting on my knee taking a nap- he woke up and started chirping, getting louder and louder and finally flew to his cage and started full blown screeching! I was like what in the world are you trying to do! Then I thought oh my, maybe the TV was keeping him up and he wants to nap! So I put him in the cage, put his blanket on (because he screams without it) and turned off the TV, I waited and he did his signature Sebastian I'm falling asleep little noises, and then he was asleep! LOL! Ugh I love him. I can't wait for you to get there with Mango, you are so headed to that place where you both learn how to communicate with one another and it's so beautiful! Good job!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
So glad you got rid of the carpet while it gases off, very smart! And I LOVE the name Mango, one of my cats shares the same name! Awesome!

And let's see conure body language, well some of the same things can mean different things in different contexts so it takes a little time, and trial and error to learn what Mango means. I know with Sebastian that if he was pacing and chirping like that he would want to come out. I would wait until he quieted down first, and then let him out, (I remember you saying you're not there yet, which is totally okay! I would take that as an opportunity to engage and do some check point training). Also, for Sebastian, bobbing his head up and down is always an excited hey I love you and want to come out and be with you sign. He also gets really really fluffy when he's happy (including the top of his head) but if the top of the head is flat and the rest if puffy he's more agitated than happy. If she is like most other hand-raised conures she is going to end up completely attached to you. Sebastian loves to be with me all the time no matter what I'm doing! Just keep building up the trust and you'll see she's gonna fall in love with you and you'll be able to know what she needs. The other day, no lie, Sebastian was sitting on my knee taking a nap- he woke up and started chirping, getting louder and louder and finally flew to his cage and started full blown screeching! I was like what in the world are you trying to do! Then I thought oh my, maybe the TV was keeping him up and he wants to nap! So I put him in the cage, put his blanket on (because he screams without it) and turned off the TV, I waited and he did his signature Sebastian I'm falling asleep little noises, and then he was asleep! LOL! Ugh I love him. I can't wait for you to get there with Mango, you are so headed to that place where you both learn how to communicate with one another and it's so beautiful! Good job!
Wow, this was such an encouraging message! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that to me.

Mango did quite a bit of the puffy, slow head-bobbing tonight after dinner when I was trying to talk to her. I will watch closely to see if the feathers on the top of her head are puffy or flat the next time that she does that.

I hope that she eventually gets to the place you are describing. Sounds awesome!!!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
After dinner tonight, Mango went up to her safe perch once again and proceeded to give me the nasty dance anytime that I looked at her or spoke to her. No amount of sweet talking could dissuade her from this ritual. It does seem like she is puffed up everywhere except maybe on the top of her head. It's hard to tell. However, my best guess is that this is a warning to stay away. Makes me sad!!!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The moving away does sound like 'stay back' but that same posture was 'Stachi's "sexy dance" when he was showing you he was hot stuff. Scotty moves away and does that flat-head puff, too, but that's his hands-off version of playful. He wants us to whistle & head bob with him. I say just carry on with yourself. I think if you're having fun without her, her curiosity might want get the better of her. :D

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
The moving away does sound like 'stay back' but that same posture was 'Stachi's "sexy dance" when he was showing you he was hot stuff. Scotty moves away and does that flat-head puff, too, but that's his hands-off version of playful. He wants us to whistle & head bob with him. I say just carry on with yourself. I think if you're having fun without her, her curiosity might want get the better of her. :D
You are exactly right!! I decided to sit at the kitchen island right in front of her and ignore her while doing some work on my laptop. After about 20 minutes, she came down and sat on the perch next to me and was looking right at me!! I offered her a few treats, but she didn't want them. I kept working on the computer and spoke to her softly on occasion. Eventually, she moved back up to her safe perch, but this time, when she got up there, she was looking very happy, moving around and biting the perch and looking at me. I gave her some upbeat praise, telling her how beautiful she was, and, for the first time, she was looking like she was enjoying me watching her!! She was actually looking like she was showing off for me because she knew I was watching her. It was very nice. After a minute or two, she started giving me the stay-away dance so I left her alone and she went to sleep.

Do conures ever show off in there cages when they know they are being watched??

That felt like real progress to me!!

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sounds like she is warming up to you.

Patience & time...she's spent a long while in a dark dungeon.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
How often does Stachi do that sexy dance?? Is there anything that triggers it, or is it just kind of spontaneous? Funny little creatures, aren't they?????

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How often does Stachi do that sexy dance?? Is there anything that triggers it, or is it just kind of spontaneous? Funny little creatures, aren't they?????
He did it regularly, any time we would whistle and bounce with him or play loud music. He liked anything from "Baby Got Back" to his theme song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch". :roflmao: We would play random songs to see which ones got him fanning his tail and squaring his head the most. :hilarious:

EDIT: Thank you @cab124, talking about it made me want to watch the videos we have of him just now. It was the first time I have been able to watch them since he's been gone and laugh instead of crying. (I'm crying now, but that's beside the point.) They really are amazing birds. :joyful:

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
He did it regularly, any time we would whistle and bounce with him or play loud music. He liked anything from "Baby Got Back" to his theme song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch". :roflmao: We would play random songs to see which ones got him fanning his tail and squaring his head the most. :hilarious:

EDIT: Thank you @cab124, talking about it made me want to watch the videos we have of him just now. It was the first time I have been able to watch them since he's been gone and laugh instead of crying. (I'm crying now, but that's beside the point.) They really are amazing birds. :joyful:
So happy that you were able to look back and laugh for a while. That is what your little buddy would have wanted. Yes, such amazing birds!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
How are you doing, @faislaq? I feel bad for you missing Stachi. Grief is such a painful emotion. Hope you are doing well!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Better, thank you. :yes: More guilt than grief, but I try to not think about it. When I start to replay it I immediately make myself think of something else because I know the "what ifs" can't save him. :shrug:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I have been wondering if I should consider opening the door of Mango's cage to see if she might wander out. Currently, she is still extremely shy and won't go near my hands unless she is accepting a treat through the cage bars. I worry about how I would be able to get her back in the cage if she came out. Should I try to train her to step up inside the cage before considering letting her out?

Progress is still very, very slow. She is scared to death of everything. After she is done eating, she gives me the dance of death anytime I look at her.

Though she is from a breeder, it seems that there can be no way she was hand-fed.

Last edited: