• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Weird shaped beak and practically no tailfeathers?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
He colouring is definitely because of her new diet and vet care. She will moult out all her unhealthy feathers and replace them with shiny new ones! You'll see a dramatic difference in her "before and after" pics.
Aah, thank you. ;u; I was hoping that was the case. Her butt's actually going really green right now, I can't wait to see what she looks like! I really just want a healthy bird, and don't really care about coloration.

Thank you for letting me know, it's a big relief that this isn't some new issue.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am really happy your little lady is improving.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Update: She's starting to act a lot more like a budgie should. Rather than just being quiet and only peeping every now and then, she's started to make more budgie noises and interact more with me and the things in her cage rather than staying with her chest pressed up into the rungs of her ladder.
I even got her to eat some spray millet while I was holding it. :joyful: I really can't wait to let her join the rest of my flock.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great news! :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Do you guys think it would be too soon to move Ciri to a new cage? I'm getting her a new one tomorrow, as her current one is broken, and I found one in my area for a good price (It even comes with new toys for her!). I'd leave her in her old one, but the broken bar and lack of clips really concerns me.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Sounds like she should move in to the new one soon. As long she doesn't get spook of it shouldn't be a problem. Whenever I've moved my birds into newer better cages it's never been a problem. Not that there can't be problems but I think that's its pretty rare.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would put it next to her new one for several days to get her used to it. You can see if she will go play in it before you move her into it.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Make sure you clean and disinfect the new cage and all the toys if buying used.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Sounds like she should move in to the new one soon. As long she doesn't get spook of it shouldn't be a problem. Whenever I've moved my birds into newer better cages it's never been a problem. Not that there can't be problems but I think that's its pretty rare.
I would put it next to her new one for several days to get her used to it. You can see if she will go play in it before you move her into it.
Yeah, I wound up just moving her into the new one with her own toys and perches. I really disliked keeping her in the older cage. Dang thing nearly tipped over while I was cleaning out the paper and the bars just caved in where I grabbed it. Thank you both for the advice, though, she's settling in rather well now that she's inside. It was worth it, even if she did bite me pretty good when I moved my fingers too fast for her comfort.

Make sure you clean and disinfect the new cage and all the toys if buying used.
Yup, already did that. I'm really happy with the cage she's in now. It's really sturdy and just the right size for some of the perches I've made.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
If she cannot fly, I found that putting a towel on the bottom makes good padding. Just make sure that her nails can't get hooked in it, and that it doesn't get too dirty.
Thanks for saving her :)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
:woot2:
Ciri came out of her cage on her own and flew around without any prompting today! She even found her way back in without my help. I spoke to the vet briefly, and she said with how she's doing, she can likely join my flock by the end of the month (as she will have been quarantined for a month since I got her and is showing no signs of being ill from anything but hyperkeratosis).

In two and a half weeks, she'll officially get to meet her brother and sister and join them in the joyous activity that is pooping on all my electronics.

If she cannot fly, I found that putting a towel on the bottom makes good padding. Just make sure that her nails can't get hooked in it, and that it doesn't get too dirty.
Thanks for saving her :)
she's actually flying quite well now. But I'll keep that in mind if she or one of my other birbs need a soft place to land.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update, and I'm so happy that you decided not to clip her wings. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Glad Ciri is doing so well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that Ciri is doing so well!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Great update, and I'm so happy that you decided not to clip her wings. :)
I am, too. To be honest, it was the last thing she needed. Poor girl only had two or three intact feathers on either wing, ad clipping her wouldn't really have done anything anyways, except stress her out more.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Welp, I spoke to the vet about Ciri's progress, and she's officially out of quarantine and has already made a friend. :)

She's still quite scared and flighty, but her wing cysts and cere swelling have gone down drastically, and she almost looks like a budgie should. Just waiting to see if the feathers where her cysts used to be will grow, or if they're a lost cause now.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she is out of quarantine. It's nice that she has a friend. Do monitor when they are hanging out together.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Great that she is out of quarantine. It's nice that she has a friend. Do monitor when they are hanging out together.
Of course. I've seen posts about the damage lovebirds can do to budgies. If they're out together, it'll be when I'm in the room with them.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
GOOD NEWS!!:loveshower::bounce8:

She doesn't have mites, doesn't have BFD and she isn't eggbound. I spoke to the vet and she's got hyperkeratosis and some feather cysts on her wings and only needs to be on the diet change I put her on. She said it's common for some breeders to put them on an all sunflower and millet diet, which is good for the eggs, but not the hens.

She's going to be a-okay. I still have to keep her quarantined and monitored. As long as she doesn't deteriorate within the next 1-3 months, she can join my flock. :bliss:

I'm not allowed to rescue any more birds, but she's worth it.:cloud9: Even if she did bite the vet and refused to let go.
I am glad to hear your girl is ok. I just caught up on this thread and I had a feeling the beak deformity was nutritional but I am not an expert so I did not chime in. I am thrilled that she is thriving in your care.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I am glad to hear your girl is ok. I just caught up on this thread and I had a feeling the beak deformity was nutritional but I am not an expert so I did not chime in. I am thrilled that she is thriving in your care.
I'm just glad it was something I could help with. Her nostrils still aren't quite right, but there's a real big difference between then and now.

Attachments