• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Weird shaped beak and practically no tailfeathers?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
She's behaving quite similar to this budgie????? Hoooooooly
She has the heavy panting, the weird breathing and the butt thing going on.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
"Her nostrils were swollen ever since i got her 3months ago which is the same time as the incident, it was another budgie that attacked her. I offered to take her from her previous owner because of that. But i believe it might be unrelated."

More from the lady I got her from. Waiting to see if there's any chance of her being intimate with a male since then. If she does lay eggs, they probably won't be fertile.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It's really good you're taking her to the vet today. They should be able to tell what is going on with her, and the best thing to do for her. If she lays an egg, I would leave it in her cage. You might want to get dummy eggs too.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's really good you're taking her to the vet today. They should be able to tell what is going on with her, and the best thing to do for her. If she lays an egg, I would leave it in her cage. You might want to get dummy eggs too.
I've heard about dummy eggs. If I need them, I'll get them. I'll head out in about 15 minutes, so we'll know soon, hopefully. I'm starting to wonder if it's just mites and a bad beating.

Pretty pissed that they let her sit like this for months.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
And so am I. That's why I'm so happy that you get her and now also can take her to the vet.
I feel the same way. Sadly these situations happen all too often. There's more people on here that have saved birds from bad, abusive or neglectful situations than I can count. I'm so grateful that those birds are in better and loving homes now :heart:

Thank you @Garet for all that you are doing for her!! And thanks for keeping us updated too. I hope you have a good visit with the vet and they can figure out what's going on with her.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
GOOD NEWS!!:loveshower::bounce8:

She doesn't have mites, doesn't have BFD and she isn't eggbound. I spoke to the vet and she's got hyperkeratosis and some feather cysts on her wings and only needs to be on the diet change I put her on. She said it's common for some breeders to put them on an all sunflower and millet diet, which is good for the eggs, but not the hens.

She's going to be a-okay. I still have to keep her quarantined and monitored. As long as she doesn't deteriorate within the next 1-3 months, she can join my flock. :bliss:

I'm not allowed to rescue any more birds, but she's worth it.:cloud9: Even if she did bite the vet and refused to let go.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are a good birdie parront! I'm glad she will be ok. I'm also glad YOU rescued her. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad she is ok.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. Excellent news!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Strange with the vet visit, especially based on the heavy breathing and tail bobbing. Unless it is just stress of the new home. Just keep an eye on that, if you find her st the bottom of her cage then it will be an emergency and should be seen again by the vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad the vet visit went well.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Excellent news!!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Strange with the vet visit, especially based on the heavy breathing and tail bobbing. Unless it is just stress of the new home. Just keep an eye on that, if you find her st the bottom of her cage then it will be an emergency and should be seen again by the vet.
I think it might have been the stress myself. I brought it up to the vet and she listened to her heart and lungs with a stethoscope, but said they were good. She's unsure if she might have eggs or not, but there were none that were stuck inside of her vent.

Either way, I'm starting to think it was stress-related, too. Ciri was panting and tail bobbing earlier while I changed her food and water, but has settled down for a nap on her ladder.

Once she's had her nap, I'm changing her wooden dowels for lilac root from our garden.

Edit: Changed the dowels for the root, she's already taken to them.

Last edited:

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry that I'm late to this thread!!!

I'm glad you got her to the vet for a full check up, and that she's going to be OK!

Did the vet give you any vitamin supplements for the hyperkeratosis? She'll need a boost of Vitamin A to help her through it. There are some good supplements that you can either sprinkle on food or water to give her this boost.

If she does lay an egg, it's best to remove it from the cage and do not let her incubate it. Also, don't give her a place to nest either. At this stage of the game, she is too sick and too weak to be sitting on eggs that are not going to be fertile. It will just suck her energy away from getting better, and that is the main goal for her right now.

Keep us updated!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So great your looking after her ..best of luck with her :)