• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Weird shaped beak and practically no tailfeathers?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
So sorry that I'm late to this thread!!!

I'm glad you got her to the vet for a full check up, and that she's going to be OK!

Did the vet give you any vitamin supplements for the hyperkeratosis? She'll need a boost of Vitamin A to help her through it. There are some good supplements that you can either sprinkle on food or water to give her this boost.

If she does lay an egg, it's best to remove it from the cage and do not let her incubate it. Also, don't give her a place to nest either. At this stage of the game, she is too sick and too weak to be sitting on eggs that are not going to be fertile. It will just suck her energy away from getting better, and that is the main goal for her right now.

Keep us updated!
She said that the pellets and fruits and veg I use for my lovie and tiel should be enough for her. If she doesn't eat them, she said she'd need supplements and a mineral block. I'm also experimenting in sprouting seeds for my guys, and she said it'd be good for her (I've already got a crop of their seed mix coming in, and some pumpkin seeds I forgot to roast have also started sprouting). I might pick up some vitamin drops from the pet store when I go get her a vitamin block just in case. so far, she seems rather good with chewing things. She's already gone after her cuttlebone and root perch something fierce.

Even if she doesn't win up needing the block, I feel bad leaving her without access to one, as my other two have access to both cuttlebones and blocks.

The box seemed to scare her something fierce, tbh. She wouldn't go near whatever half of the cage I had put it in. But, if she does lay an egg, would there be a way to incubate it without her? I'm still waiting to see if she even does lay or if she had access to a male of her species during the last couple of weeks.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
She said that the pellets and fruits and veg I use for my lovie and tiel should be enough for her. If she doesn't eat them, she said she'd need supplements and a mineral block.
A Mineral block at this point would be a MUST, even with her new healthy diet. They are super cheap to buy, so definitely stock up on a few of them. My birds go through them like crazy.

I'm also experimenting in sprouting seeds for my guys, and she said it'd be good for her (I've already got a crop of their seed mix coming in, and some pumpkin seeds I forgot to roast have also started sprouting).
Sprouting is amazing! If you send me your e-mail address in a PM, I can send you a lot more information that might help you with sprouting even more stuff. I sprout over 30 different kinds of seeds, legumes, grains ect. for my birds. I'll send you the documents that I give to all my clients when they buy a chick from me.

She's already gone after her cuttlebone and root perch something fierce.
Awesome! This will also keep her beak in good shape now that it's been trimmed up.

The box seemed to scare her something fierce, tbh. She wouldn't go near whatever half of the cage I had put it in. But, if she does lay an egg, would there be a way to incubate it without her? I'm still waiting to see if she even does lay or if she had access to a male of her species during the last couple of weeks.
If she does lay an egg, it's highly likely that it will not be fertile. It's best to remove it and not incubate it.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@PoukieBear I'd definitely appreciate the advice! I'll shoot you a pm about sprouting. And I'll most likely not incubate, if there's an extremely low chance of it taking.

She'll probably have her mineral block within the next few days. My tiel and lovebird have the pear Living World Beak Block, and I'm likely getting her that, too.

I also mix in a little RAFF Holland Cova into their dishes (including hers). It has vitamin A, D3, E and a bunch of stuff like antioxidants and calcium, along with showering them with a mixture of warm water and the inside juices from my aloe vera. I could try mixing some of the juice from my aloe plants in with her drinking water, if you think it'd help?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
@PoukieBear
I also mix in a little RAFF Holland Cova into their dishes (including hers). It has vitamin A, D3, E and a bunch of stuff like antioxidants and calcium, along with showering them with a mixture of warm water and the inside juices from my aloe vera. I could try mixing some of the juice from my aloe plants in with her drinking water, if you think it'd help?
Honestly, I've never mixed Aloe with drinking water, so I don't have any advice on how to do that. I doubt it would be necessary at this point, since she is getting lots of vitamins elswhere. (Vitamin A is the most important for her Keratosis) Continue to use it in the bath/misting water though, as it's great for feathers, cuts, wounds....

Garet

Real Name
Garet
So far, Ciri's doing quite well. She's eaten all her raff powder and chewed on her fruit snack a little, as well as gnawing all along the edges of her cuttlebone. I'm going out today to get her a proper mineral block like my other two have. Her nose is still swollen, but it doesn't look as scabby as before. It's still far from pretty, though. Her feather cysts still seem to be there, I think. She's good at hiding them under her feathers.

Honestly, I've never mixed Aloe with drinking water, so I don't have any advice on how to do that. I doubt it would be necessary at this point, since she is getting lots of vitamins elswhere. (Vitamin A is the most important for her Keratosis) Continue to use it in the bath/misting water though, as it's great for feathers, cuts, wounds....
It's very easy, actually. I do it for their mister showers already. You just scrape the insides out of a small piece of the plant, add it to the water and stir. It should dissolve into the water rather quickly.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
And she seems to like her new mineral block. She is perched right next to her new mineral block with her nose pressed up against it between nibbling sessions. Still no luck with fresh fruit, but she seems to also like her exotic fruit prestige stick, so I picked her up a few more varieties. At least she's eating something that contains fruit and veg.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It's quite possible the frantic flying, being so scared and stressed and possibly out of shape would make her pant and bob like that. I'm glad she is doing better and eating well. Hopefully, she realizes you are helping her soon.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's quite possible the frantic flying, being so scared and stressed and possibly out of shape would make her pant and bob like that. I'm glad she is doing better and eating well. Hopefully, she realizes you are helping her soon.
I think that might've been it, too. She's stopped doing both those things altogether the day after we went to the vet. Ciri's showing no signs of egg binding and isn't looking for a place to nest.

Either way, this is better for her health. The last thing she needs is a clutch of any kind in the state she's in.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Got some update pics for y'all. It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but I think her tail is longer. She's definitely looking less ragged though.
She looks sooo much more better!! Thank you so much again, for giving her a soft place to land! (Which is you!)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
And she seems to really like dried dates. :p Ripe persimmons are a no. She just chucked it to the bottom of her cage and pooped on it.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Opinionated is she :rofl:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Small Update: I caught her stretching and raking her foot through her wing feathers, and they're starting to look much better. Her broken feathers are still not good, but I see lots of blood feathers in her tail and on her wings. None of them are broken, I've just noticed the darker shafts and new feathers, along with floof everywhere. No bald spots or signs of plucking, so I'm thinking that she's going through a moult.

Opinionated is she :rofl:
She really is. But she's more than welcome to be picky in this house. >P

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've noticed something else about her now. Her feathers are getting darker? Her back is a more pronounced green and the faded budgie markings on the back of her head are a little stronger. Could it be possible that she lost some feather pigmentation due to poor diet?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've never owned a sick bird before, so I really have no idea if this is natural? She's far more green now, and she looks like she has budgie stripes on the back of her wings, too.

Attachments

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've noticed something else about her now. Her feathers are getting darker? Her back is a more pronounced green and the faded budgie markings on the back of her head are a little stronger. Could it be possible that she lost some feather pigmentation due to poor diet?
:bump4:
Because I have no idea but hope someone else knows?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
He colouring is definitely because of her new diet and vet care. She will moult out all her unhealthy feathers and replace them with shiny new ones! You'll see a dramatic difference in her "before and after" pics.