• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vendor Etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is the 2nd time I've heard about Duritos. I still have some with those in it... someone said to microwave it?? to see if it is the real junk food thing.

@camelotshadow Fluker's is the best dried mealworms.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
View attachment 314360

Discontinued... or is it because they were actually Duritos? I never could find anything even remotely similar to those "wagon wheel pasta" shapes she had.
Me either honestly. I think you're probably right that it's just to cover her butt cause they're actually duritos.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OMG....I just threw out Doritos as a joke!!!! Now thats not funny if it was so!!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
This is the 2nd time I've heard about Duritos. I still have some with those in it... someone said to microwave it?? to see if it is the real junk food thing.

@camelotshadow Fluker's is the best dried mealworms.

Great Chewy has those too..I think Penny would like them as a treat.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I was jokin about the Doritos...It was just a cheesy junkfood that came to mind...

Volkman adds pasta to is ome of ts mixes. I have seen wagain wheel shaped pasta I think in browns mixes...

This is the 2nd time I have read about meal worms...

I was thinking Penny might like them...but they are high in fat...

I saw Chewy has them dried...but they are from China so who knows what they are fed...

https://www.chewy.com/chubby-mealworms-dried-mealworms-bird/dp/138726
Not the same thing as Doritos. Duritos are these salted, Mexican wheat snacks. When you microwave them, they puff up.

Duritos prior to being microwaved/heated:

large_717603b2-7d2a-4b2e-b9dc-3d90ab2ad02b.jpg

Duritos after microwaving/heating:

vj6g3frh5ud11.png

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I've scoured the web and cannot find any pasta that shape, and definitely nothing carrot or rice based.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm very familiar with wagon wheel pasta, I ate tons of it when I was little, and I have never come across a variant of it without a hole in the middle.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not the same thing as Doritos. Duritos are these salted, Mexican wheat snacks. When you microwave them, they puff up.

Duritos prior to being microwaved/heated:

View attachment 314363

Duritos after microwaving/heating:

View attachment 314364

I bought her ADR pack to put in Buddy's 1st Aid & go bag. In it was vitalis & in that, I believe... are this pasta. Saved in an air tight container (Mylar sealed) in the event anyone needed it for testing. Buddy never got any so its brand new.

Just throwing this out there.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm very familiar with wagon wheel pasta, I ate tons of it when I was little, and I have never come across a variant of it without a hole in the middle.
I could only ever find wagon wheel pasta that was much thicker than these. Nothing flat and certainly nothing carrot, rice, or veggie based.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I could only ever find wagon wheel pasta that was much thicker than these. Nothing flat and certainly nothing carrot, rice, or veggie based.
Yes, I never had any that were flat. You could roll actual wagon wheel pasta across a table if you were so inclined. And they were always made of standard pasta dough.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I somehow missed this thread until today. I think I'm on page 68 or so at this point, and I am so sorry to all of you who have been affected by this vendor. The negative effects that this has had on some of your birds is truly heartbreaking. It's not easy to learn that so many of you have been wronged like this. Also, thank you so much to all of the vendors here who put our beloved birds' health and safety first. :heart2:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's pretty easy to cultivate your own meal and superworm colonies. I started up a few and they really don't need much. A bin, veggie scraps, cardboard or wood to climb, and grains to live in. Supers need a bit more, as you have to separate them in order to pupate them. I was cultivating them for my spiders, but my birds have broken into the bins a few times to eat them. X(

Buuut, y'all really shouldn't buy a food just because they have them. The worms are only as nutritious as what they're fed, and they're super cheap. You can get a lot for a buck or two and just breed them yourself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Got my August 1st order today after asking when to expect it on Monday. Was told to expect freebies for the delay. None included. I have now been promised freebies 3 times - once after my Veggie balls molded, after she publicly claimed she sent me a freebie and I told her none had been received, and now this order. Whatever; I don't need freebies but I also don't need empty promises.

Better Bites have the ingredients list on them now, and the oatmeal mixes I got at least had the serving directions. The foods look good.

However, all my better bites list peanut butter as the first ingredient which 1) I am not sure she is listing by volume as required by labeling laws) and 2) I don't personally mind the peanut butter because Ripley needs the extra fat. BUT her ingredients list on the website is not the same as the ingredients list on the package. It is really hard to make an informed decision or even truly know what is in the food I received since which is correct - the one on the package, or the one on the website (which claims she is 100% peanut free)?

Additionally, the website claims that normal bags are now 2.5 lbs. I weighed mine and they are all just over 1 lb.

tropical.jpg

IMG_20190907_114034.jpg

IMG_20190907_114311.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah, I definitely feel swindled. "Spelt Flour, *Rye Flour, *Buckwheat Flour, *Quinoa Flour, *Almond Flour, *Semolina, *Brown Rice Flour, *Coconut Flour, *Ground Flax Seed" got condensed into basically whole wheat flour and almond flour. I NEVER use whole wheat flour in my stuff. I prefer using stuff like spelt, buckwheat, and quinoa flour - all the stuff that apparently doesn't exist now in this food.

Status
Not open for further replies.