• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Upper Respiratory/Baytril?

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
She said it was unnecessary. I live in Rosepine, LA 70659. I am about 3 hours from Baton Rouge and 4 hours from Metairie/New Orleans.

My uncle is a vet and has owned a CAG for 20+ years. I’ve asked about gram stains and crop swabs before, but he doesn’t seem super knowledgeable about either. I can try again, but then my question is should I give her new meds tonight or wait.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Call around and ask if different vets have bird experience.
The new med won’t hurt; the question is will it help. What is the diagnosis?

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
She didn’t even say! I feel like such an idiot. I had videos of her breathing issues, I wrote down everything before I went so I wouldn’t forget anything and I still left feeling like I got nothing.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s not your fault. She didn’t do her job.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully someone in LA will chime in. Here are some recommended bird vets in Louisiana. Recommended Bird Vets in Louisiana, United States | Beauty of Birds
You may also want to call around and see if you can find a vet who has lots of experience with birds but might not be avian certified.
Very surprised that the vet does not want to determine what type of bacteria/fungus is causing the issue.

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
Here is an informative thread about someone having used Doxycycline:
Doxycycline???? Question. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

If you start her on the new med, best to monitor that she continues to eat and drink normally.

It is important to know whether her breathing difficulties are infection-related, or whether there is another problem.
Did the vet do any bloodwork?

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
The vet didn’t do anything except listen to the history, examine her, and send us on our way with new antibiotics and a probiotic powder (which she is refusing to eat.)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The vet didn’t do anything except listen to the history, examine her, and send us on our way with new antibiotics and a probiotic powder (which she is refusing to eat.)
Put the probiotic powder on some chop/seed and mix it in a bit. Which brand is it? Probiotics are great, I use them all the time but they're especially effective when administering antibiotics.

I do not believe a visual exam would enable a vet to diagnose the problem. If I were in your shoes I would find a new vet PRONTO.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I put seeds in a bowl with the probiotic (Benebac). She pokes around in it a little bit, but the powder is definitely still a deterrent.

I am looking at Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital in Metairie (4.5 hrs away) and Brookings Animal Hospital 2.5 hrs away) both are listed on the Beauty of Birds website, but both are DVMs with no avian certifications.

The website for Avian and Exotic Hospital looks most appealing, as it appears they deal with a lot of avian patients. A review on there says they were very responsive to emails, as that person was also a long drive away. I would like to email them first before committing to that travel, not only due to time/money, but also stress on my girl.

Can y’all help me compose an email to feel these doctors out? What should I ask that would tell me they’re not going to just be another waste of time? Obviously I’m going to ask if I can be guaranteed a gram stain.

Side note, Gilly was down another 1g today (3g total this week) but is acting much better today. Minimal respiratory symptoms and getting into everything again. She’s even been playing with her boyfriend (the computer mouse). Whether this vets blind treatment works or not, I want to be established with a real vet and get a gram stain, baseline blood work, etc. on her and my other bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes vets without avian certification but who have had a lot of experience with birds are better than those with avian certification. I went to an avian certified vet once who was horrible. I had no issues with him treating my dog when she had a broken leg and needed pins and a screw and when she had a luxation and need treatment but after bringing birds to him one time I never made that mistake again.
Check vets in your area, too. I am sure there are more vets who have experience than those on the list I linked. Ask about their experience with birds. How many birds do they treat daily or weekly, etc? Let the office know what is going on with your bird and that you are looking for someone who can do diagnostics.
If I were you, too, I would contact the current vet and see if you can find out why that person will not do cultures and blood work or at least a gram stain. I can understand blood work because it can be very stressful and sometimes when a bird is too stressed blood work is not the best thing to do but a gram stain is not invasive and cultures are minimally stressful (depends on the bird). Fecal swab more stressful than oral swab. :wideyed:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sometimes vets without avian certification but who have had a lot of experience with birds are better than those with avian certification.
Agree... I started to mention this. We had a tiel fly into a wall once on a Saturday morning, or maybe it was a Sunday. I couldn't find anyone to see him (my vet was booked up) but we were downtown and I was standing in front of a vet's office and something said walk in. So I asked and they said bring him right now. It was so close to closing time that I stayed there "to do the paperwork" and hubby ran home and got the bird. The vet was INCREDIBLE. Bird immediately took to him, he was gentle, oh I was crazy about him. Birdie made a full recovery.

Later on I tried calling them and they said "we don't treat birds." :eek:

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
If you ask the new vet hospital about the expected duration of their appointments, their reply may give you a sense of how accommodating they are, or whether they will rush you in and out.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Gilly has gained back 2 of the 3g she lost last week. She is acting like her usual self.

I am planning on making an appointment for her and my other bird at the LSU Veterinarian Teaching Hospital. It’s about 3 hours away, but they have the capabilities to do all sorts of avian diagnostics and they have multiple avian doctors, including our only certified avian vet in the state.

I have read antibiotics can skew gram stains and blood work, so I’m not sure if I should finish the next two weeks of antibiotics or go ahead and get her in to LSU. I’m hoping when I call they can advise, but considering I will most likely be talking to front desk personnel, I doubt they will be able to accurately advise.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that Gilly is doing better. Hope she continues to improve. If she is still on antibiotics then it can definitely affect blood tests, cultures and gram stains. Sometimes the front desk people are knowledgeable. You can always ask to speak with a tech.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Gilly has gained back 2 of the 3g she lost last week. She is acting like her usual self.

I am planning on making an appointment for her and my other bird at the LSU Veterinarian Teaching Hospital. It’s about 3 hours away, but they have the capabilities to do all sorts of avian diagnostics and they have multiple avian doctors, including our only certified avian vet in the state.

I have read antibiotics can skew gram stains and blood work, so I’m not sure if I should finish the next two weeks of antibiotics or go ahead and get her in to LSU. I’m hoping when I call they can advise, but considering I will most likely be talking to front desk personnel, I doubt they will be able to accurately advise.
They can on blood work looking at white cell counts but finish what is prescribed. Gram stains should be okay to check. The front desk person should ask someone who knows and then call you back. I'm glad she's feeling better

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Today took an absolute turn for the worst. I am fairly certain she aspirated on medication even though I’m very cautious and slow administering it. I rushed her to my uncle and he did a steroid injection. Placed a call to the vet who she has been seeing but she’s in surgery.

It is snowing here today in Louisiana, which is something we are not used to, so traveling 3 hours to LSU is going to be damn near impossible.

Hoping the vet calls me back and tells me they have injectible doxycycline because obviously I am not going to continue giving oral meds.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Update, we are going to LSU today anyway.

Please pray for Gilly and safe travels.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Travel safe, and I hope she’s okay!

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Gilly is staying overnight at the hospital. Vet made it clear she did not seem critical, which is good sign. Due to the snow and ice conditions here the school closed at 3, so they couldn’t get a lot going today. They were going to do injectable doxycycline and swab for culture. Tomorrow when school opens again they will do x-rays and blood work. Due to her size and condition the vet said they wouldn’t take much blood so the blood work done may not very extensive, but she will try to get the important stuff.

This vet was very thorough, listened well, was not dismissive, seemed empathetic and quite knowledgeable.

Gilly made sad peep sounds as we left. :( I had to sign lots of paperwork, which they always make sound so scary (worst possible scenario situations) so I’m nervous, but I think this is the best thing for her. I hope it all goes well. They’re going to call me in the morning and update me.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did she snort the meds up her nose? That's a common thing with oral meds and it is not dangerous. Sounds like she's getting great care, though.