1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Upper Respiratory/Baytril?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by haleybethg, 1/10/18.

1. haleybethg

haleybethg Walking the driveway

Haley
    I wondered if she snorted them up her nose, but she appeared to be in immediate respiratory distress. Open mouth, clicking, etc. I truly thought she was going to die. Maybe she just snorted it up her nose, but it was traumatic enough for me not to wait to find out.

2. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block

How long did it take to pass?

3. haleybethg

Haley
    10 minutes?

4. enigma731

That's almost certainly just meds in her sinuses. It looks really dramatic but it shouldn't cause any problems.

5. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    I’m sure it was hard to leave her. I hope you get some answers , and that she’s okay!
    :hug8:

6. haleybethg

Haley
    I just wanted to update everyone. We picked Gilly up from the hospital on Thursday. She is getting doxycycline shots once a week for three weeks and meloxicam once a day for seven days. Her culture is pending. The vet ended up not taking x-rays or bloodwork, as they use anesthesia in the form of gas to do those things. Gilly was in such good shape that the vet felt the risk of anesthesia outweighed the benefit, since she had come in for a compromised respiratory system. Her official diagnosis is recurrent sinusitis and aspiration of doxycycline. If the culture grows anything, we will address treatment plan.

Overall I am happy with the treatment she received at LSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Baton Rouge, LA and I would recommend it to anyone nearby. We drove 3+ hours (one way) to get there and I do not have any of the anxiety I had before with the other vet we dealt with. They were very, very thorough going over everything, explaining, listening, etc. The vet gave me all my options and at one point told me “if this was my bird I would do...” and that is very reassuring to me. We will continue to make the drive to LSU in the future.

7. orphansparrow

orphansparrow Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Cara
    @haleybethg Your update made me relieved. 3+ hours trip is TOTALLY worth the peace of mind of finding people who know what they're doing, huh? I'm sorry you had to go through this scary stuff!

8. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Wow. Thanks for the update. You went a long way, but you got the answers you needed and she will be okay! Yay!

9. haleybethg

Haley
    Culture came back. The only thing they were able to grow was Lactobacillus (from choanal swab). She’s doing well and seems to be making a full recovery.

Once we discontinue antibiotics I plan to start her on a Vetri-DMG regimen for immune support.

10. alexmait

alexmait Meeting neighbors

I like it that your new vet is careful and takes into consideration Gilly's ability to tolerate additional tests, and explains the reasons and options to you. I'm glad to hear that she is improving. :rthrtc:

Last edited: 1/25/18
  11. haleybethg

Haley
    Well, her last doxycycline shot was Tuesday and she just made her sinusy sound. She does seem fine other than the sound...for now anyway. I’m so frustrated. Maybe this is fungal? I really don’t know. Maybe it’s just allergies.

finchly likes this.
  12. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    I have no idea. Shouldn’t the culture have shown fungus?

Are you using probiotics or weekly apple cider vinegar?

13. haleybethg

Haley
    The culture only showed lacto bascillus. I’m thinking the culture wasn’t deep enough because shouldn’t it have shown other normal flora types?

I have not been doing ACV or probiotics.

finchly likes this.
  14. enigma731

The culture would not show the normal flora because she was on antibiotics when it was done.

Hankmacaw, finchly and haleybethg like this.
  15. haleybethg

Haley
    Headed back to the vet on Thursday. This time we are bringing Sam too.

I sorta think this may be psittacosis, but I would expect her to be sicker. Maybe that’s all antibiotics have done is take the edge off the disease. Idk.

I am so sick of dealing with this.

Edit to add - I now learn calcium can interfere with the absorption of doxycycline. She eats Harrison’s high potency. Maybe she shouldn’t be eating pellets while on meds. I don’t know!

Last edited: 2/6/18
  16. enigma731

What makes you suspect psittacosis?

17. haleybethg

Haley
    She fits all of the generic symptoms and has been on antibiotics for almost 6 weeks total and is still sick. My other bird isn’t sick at all. I wonder if he’s a carrier.

I am literally grasping at straws because I am at my wits end.

18. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    I hope you get some answers and that both of your birds are okay.

finchly and haleybethg like this.
  19. enigma731

Does she have symptoms right now aside from the congested noises?

finchly likes this.
  20. haleybethg

Haley
    Her symptoms are the noise, sneezing (5 times today so far), occasional open mouth, slight decrease in appetite, and this weird tail tremor that she’s had for a while, but I thought was normal. It’s not a tail bob, it’s almost like a vibration.

Please see the video of her noise here. I describe it as congestion, but honestly I don’t know what it is. It just sounds like what I can only describe as a very wet, snotty, sunction-like noise.
    Gilly & Sam on Instagram: “This is from November, but the infamous sound is still the same.”

I have a friend in Florida who is waiting on psittacosis test results with her bird. Same symptoms, including the strange tremor. We have never met, so this is coincidence our birds are having the same issues.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)